WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So your GM 5.3 ate a lifter and needed more power anyhow?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Several people on here have had GM motors in their trucks go out with a bad lifter. Most just buy a new motor and have it installed to the tune of $5000 - but I'm a cheap ass gear head, and I'm gonna show you how to fix it instead and add some horsepower at the same time.

My friends 2008 Silverado had a lifter go out at 170k miles. Motor always ran good and didn't use any oil, until the lifter went kaboom. We tore it down to inspect. The lifter failure was limited to just a collapse of the internal lifter AFM mechanism (cylinder deactivation assembly inside the lifter) and did not damage the cam lobe or block. We could have just replaced the lifters with a new set and slapped the heads back on....but what fun is that? Instead we decided on some upgrades while we were in there, to add some horsepower for towing duty and freshen the motor up a bit.

The plan:
-Rebuild the heads
-Deck the heads .030
-Install LS6 valve springs
-Delete the cylinder deactivation junk
-Cam swap / upgrade
-Custom tune

Here we go..........

Once torn down....the culprit lifter is identified. You can see here it is "collapsed" and shorter than the one next to it. This was the tapping that was heard. The motor was not damaged (even the cam was ok) because it wasn't driven home....it was towed once the noise started.

b8ae582bff8dbf9d28b25246143e4bcd.jpg

Here is the 170k motor...torn down to the shortblock. It's just a wee baby and ready for some more HP. Now I know what you Ford guys are thinking - Jerry, isn't it about dead at 170k? No Ford guys.....this is a god damn Chevy Silverado. It's got a Vortec engine, made from big dicks and real tornadoes [emoji3]

e7d2dcc5456fdf1cef3cdc24841bd706.jpg

So what kills the lifters in these 07+ trucks with cylinder deactivation? Well....nothing lasts forever, but they do have an issue and its this little baby right here -A fine screen that is designed to prevent debris from entering the AFM solonoids in the lifter valley. Problem is...the screen is too fine and becomes gummed up, usually by the 60k mile mark. Once this happens it begins starving the AFM lifters for oil, and the mechanism inside the lifter eventually fails.
See the screen here, located under the oil pressure sensor. You can easily get rid of this screen and prevent this btw....

b1d778f7436b4dbe4d36e725467c0385.jpg

Here is some of the stuff we are deleting - we are getting rid of the lifter valley cover and all the attached AFM solenoids you see here.

427eb7280ef7740fd2fc8e64f6a0d702.jpg

Here is the stock timing set. Note the spring loaded chain damper and single bolt cam sprocket. All of this is going bye - bye

29f697736c3f5966e2cd593953fc5ab1.jpg

Here is the new cam. It's a small grind designed to boost power everywhere without any low end torque loss. 210 / 216 .550 .550 112lsa.

c9a62763e00ec7fc7b945e6283d6e740.jpg

Once the new cam is in, the new timing set goes on. This is a LS2 GM chain, and the cam gear is a 2005-2008 C6 corvette piece that accepts the 3 bolt cam fasteners, yet still has the proper cam sensor pickup points for the Gen IV motors. Note that the spring loaded tensioner is history - it's replaced with a more reliable LS2 style damper block. The spring loaded tensioners on the 07-up motors are known to come apart, so we swapped that junk out to the LS2 neoprene damper that never dies. Cam sprocket gets 3 ARP cam bolts.

c59bb2bf6b4a93c7305fbfc4a4f1fbbf.jpg

The oil pan and pump were removed to allow the timing chain to be replaced. To reassemble, a new Oil pump pickup Oring is installed. These are the #1 cause for oil pressure issues when these motors get close to 200k miles. You have to be sure to get the proper Oring, they vary depending on pickup tube type!

d2b87342ac8eb6b4908ef820e61e3892.jpg

Once the cam is all buttoned up, and oil pump is back on, we install the new lifters. These are GM LS7 lifters, and the plastic "trays" you see here are what keep them aligned in the block. These trays are also new, as the originals from the AFM lifters do not work with the "standard non AFM" style lifters. All traces of cylinder deactivation are now gone.

d3438d162e831df9555f1e2af4b29590.jpg

We took the opportunity to freshen up the cylinder heads while they were off. The heads that come on these later model 4.8 / 5.3 are the same heads used on the LS2 and LS6 motors. You can easily make power with these babies. Heads were decked .025 to bring the compression up, and to also avoid the need for .025 longer pushrods due to the smaller base circle of the new camshaft. This keeps the lifter preload where it needs to be. Aside from that, new seals were installed as well as a valve job. A radius cut was put on the exhaust seat to improve the flow. A set of GM LS2 / LS3 / LS6 valve springs were installed to work with the new camshaft, which has .550 lift at the valve

6e8c325438a85153407054a2c4cac368.jpg

77f0c583febbe5aec9212b2ce6a3274c.jpg

Once the heads are back on, they are torqued down with new head bolts. The holes are blind tapped in the block, and must be cleaned and chased / blown out with compressed air before the new bolts go in. If you fail to do this, you will get an improper torque of the new bolts, or if your real lucky it will break off in the block which is a nightmare. The aluminum block motors can actually have the block split and be damaged by improper head bolt installation without cleaning the holes. Clean the surface of the block before you clean the bolt holes out, so you aren't knocking shit back into the clean bolt holes while scraping the deck.

b5a6188b08abb8551fee4e50bb012bb5.jpg

Here the heads are on and torqued...and the pushrods and rocker arm assembly are back in place. No preload adjustment is present with the stock rockers, just torque them down to spec. I check preload with the cam off the lobe, and from zero lash you should get between 1.25 and 1.75 turns till full torque value. If you have less than 1 turn - you need longer pushrods. More than 1.75 turns....you need shorter pushrods. We ended up @ 1.5 turns here, which is about what it would be stock. We decked the heads the same amount as the base circle is reduced on the new cam (experience has shown me this particular cam measures out at that spec) so we are right where we need to be.
Valve covers are also back on here

d88030c0e0ca806122d5f6df27753455.jpg

Once the heads are on....the new LS3 lifter valley cover goes on. This cover has the necessary O-rings on the bottom to block off the AFM oil passages that are now abandoned. It comes with the block gasket as well. The original oil pressure sender goes back on. You can see the baffled breather setup on the bottom of the cover as well. This helps control oil ingestion at high rpm.

f17350d5b1cee9a38a9e81741393e6a8.jpg

b84c8771c52521c21a433822b0a51be0.jpg

The timing cover and balancer go back on. The cover must be aligned with a tool to ensure the balancer seal aligns with the snout of the balancer / crank pulley. The oil pan is then reinstalled, and a little black engine paint is tossed in to dress the greaseball up a bit.

b3236242f0658bb384ab15d53e24ca4c.jpg

Next step will be a dyno tune to delete all the AFM codes that will be present, and recalibrate the fuel and spark tables for the new cam and increased compression. This will still pass smog, and will idle almost like 100% stock with slightly more rpm. I'll post up the dyno graph once we get it tuned up.

Labor involved in this is 12 beer drinking hours on a Sunday (with all parts ready to go). I do these a lot so it may take somebody else a bit longer, but it's not bad.

Hope you enjoyed....stay tuned for the dyno test. We'll compare the rwhp and torque readings to a stock baseline, and also see how it stacks up against the vaunted 6.0. We'll also see how it compares to a new 2015 Silverado 5.3 Ecotec. Can this little beater put up the numbers?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is bad ass!! And if I end up in another Chevy I'll be calling! :D

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Since you do it a lot, what kind of money you get to do it all.
Iv got an 07, giving to my kid, mileage is I believe 185 k range.
I'm sure it's just waiting to happen. Any brake upgrade options? I switched to drilled and slotted rotors but it still eats up pads crazy fast and braking still sucks balls, other than brakes has ran like a champ ( so far )

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
Awesome thread. I am planning on installing a used 5.3 in my Jeep Scrambler Project so all of this info will come in handy for sure! :thumbup:

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Awesome read. [emoji106]. Be careful Jerry... You're going to have a line of RDP trucks in front of your house. [emoji12] I'm at 125K on my 05 5.3.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
cool thread,...I like tis kinda shit where they fix whats wrong instead of just say'n... it's always ticked like that:(

I have fixed quite a few of these with marvel.....:thumbsup

waterhorse

Reaction score
Great info, looking forward to the numbers after the cam upgrade and head mill. :thumbsup
You must have done quite a few of these to know all the details and what parts interchange. ('O' rings and cam chain tensioners etc.)

CoronaChris

Reaction score
Quick questions for you. I have a 2010 Chevy 5.3 liter with 65k miles on it, almost every time I start my truck I hear a brief lifter knocking noise for about 5-10 seconds and goes right away. Once the truck is warmed up and restart no noise at all. Not sure if this is something serious or common until the lifters get the proper oil. Can I get to the filter that you are talking about without tearing the motor apart? It looks like it is on the manifold. Thanks so much need as I need this truck to last.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Suburban with just over 100,000 miles. Can you get to that little screen under the oil pressure sensor with removing the intake?
Don't want to be a bother but are you familiar with the "traction control/ stabilitrak control" problems that cause an error to come up on the dash readout?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That thing should move out nicely now.

You have almost inspired me to do the cam swap on my CTS-v. There is just so much more room in a truck engine bay.

Backlash

Reaction score
Awesome thread! My 02 5.3 has about 130K on it and runs great. It would be fun to give it to you for a week to let you work your magic and play around with it. All it takes is money! ;)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Great write up.. if someone would like to do a 6.0L LQ4 project, I have a donor truck and cash to make it happen. I have been trying to get someone local in Phoenix to build mine with no luck...

575cat

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Suburban with just over 100,000 miles. Can you get to that little screen under the oil pressure sensor with removing the intake?
Don't want to be a bother but are you familiar with the "traction control/ stabilitrak control" problems that cause an error to come up on the dash readout?

Take the sender out and stick a pick in there to open it up , the other deal is a hub bearing issue get a scanner to find out which one .

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Good info here. A cam + tune really wake up the vortec engine. Hot Rod had done a series of cam swaps with dyno results, swaps go as far as +100 lb and +130 hp from cam / lifters :yikes.

It looks like your combo is going to be good for a daily driver / SUV but still have the power when you mash it. Keeping idle and torque #'s are going to be key when most folks don' or can't really use the big HP #'s while winding out their grocery getter.

Certainly going to have bitchen results for an afternoon of work.

So how much? :skull:skull:skull

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Nice write up Jerry! :thumbup:

We did one almost exactly this way a few years back, truck ran like a bat outa hell!!!

Did Alex reprogram it for you??

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Labor involved in this is 12 beer drinking hours on a Sunday (with all parts ready to go).

You must be a fast worker or a sloooowwww drinker.
That's a shit ton of work for a Sunday project.
Awesome write up.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Nice thread Jerry.:thumbsup
My Saab SUV has the 5.3 with DOD....approaching 60k miles.
I'm a little more worried about overheating the trans on mine pulling the boat up the hill in the summer heat. Looking to upsize the cooler on it before summer rolls in with a vengeance.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
cool thread,...I like tis kinda shit where they fix whats wrong instead of just say'n... it's always ticked like that:(

I have fixed quite a few of these with marvel.....:thumbsup

The Mystery Oil that gives:thumbup:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm a little more worried about overheating the trans on mine pulling the boat up the hill in the summer heat. Looking to upsize the cooler on it before summer rolls in with a vengeance.

That will help. Those have a tow/haul mode too right?

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Most just buy a new motor and have it installed to the tune of $5000 - but I'm a cheap ass gear head, and I'm gonna show you how to fix it instead and add some horsepower at the same time.

So what was the cost of parts?

My wife's 2008 Suburban has 75,000 miles and the clock is ticking.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That will help. Those have a tow/haul mode too right?

No switches for tow mode.
7500 tow rating with weight dist hitch. Pulls Nordic just fine and with the self leveling air suspension it doesn't drop in the tail whatsoever.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
That is one helluva "Shadetree mechanic" write up. :bowdown:

I was breathing a sigh of relief when I changed the water pump and it didn't leak.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No switches for tow mode.
7500 tow rating with weight dist hitch. Pulls Nordic just fine and with the self leveling air suspension it doesn't drop in the tail whatsoever.

Does it have the 4 speed or 6 speed? A trans tune might help to firm up the shifts. A large(er) cooler will certainly help.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Does it have the 4 speed or 6 speed? A trans tune might help to firm up the shifts.

Did its first trans service late last year. No debris, metal or chunks, just a tad dirty.
The speeds I have to drive it up McCullough to get it at the right rpm for the transmission I'm either speeding a little in 3rd or revving the rpms in 2nd.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Did its first trans service late last year. No debris, metal or chunks, just a tad dirty.
The speeds I have to drive it up McCullough to get it at the right rpm for the transmission I'm either speeding a little in 3rd or revving the rpms in 2nd.

Are you just using it to launch and retrive around town? Thats what I do with my 4 Runner. If so just put a big trans cooler on it and do your trans services early. Running it up the hill in 2nd should be no big deal for the 5.3.

I just leave my 4Runner in 3rd when towing so it does not go into overdrive. I added an external trans cooler last year when I got my current boat. The 4Runner has air bags in the rear springs, but I don't use them around town with the boat, the truck stays pretty level.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Are you just using it to launch and retrive around town? Thats what I do with my 4 Runner. If so just put a big trans cooler on it and do your trans services early. Running it up the hill in 2nd should be no big deal for the 5.3.

I just leave my 4Runner in 3rd when towing so it does not go into overdrive. I added an external trans cooler last year when I got my current boat. The 4Runner has air bags in the rear springs, but I don't use them around town with the boat, the truck stays pretty level.

Yeah, basically, its been or launch/retrieve vehicle for a couple years now. I pull it out of OD if there's a trailer hooked up.:thumbup:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My '01 w/ the 5.3 needs some motor love. It's got 190k on it and still runs well but the lifters are starting to take a while to pump up and I abuse it pretty bad too. I'm anxious to hear the #'s too cause I was thinking of a 6.0 swap but if the power bump is good.... might not need to.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My '01 w/ the 5.3 needs some motor love. It's got 190k on it and still runs well but the lifters are starting to take a while to pump up and I abuse it pretty bad too. I'm anxious to hear the #'s too cause I was thinking of a 6.0 swap but if the power bump is good.... might not need to.

If yours is apart, find a set of 243 or 799 heads. Those alone will give 15+ HP more than the castings on your truck now. I believe the 01s had dished pistons, but I could be wrong.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah, basically, its been or launch/retrieve vehicle for a couple years now. I pull it out of OD if there's a trailer hooked up.:thumbup:

I think you are golden then!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If yours is apart, find a set of 243 or 799 heads. Those alone will give 15+ HP more than the castings on your truck now. I believe the 01s had dished pistons, but I could be wrong.
It's still together and running. It's just gonna need it sooner rather than later.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It's still together and running. It's just gonna need it sooner rather than later.

Find them now so when you pull it apart you are ready :) You are going to need to do valve springs anyway no matter what, and should swap the trays and lifters.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Wow lots of interest in this....cool! Couldn't sleep last night so I figured I'd share this

This is bad ass!! And if I end up in another Chevy I'll be calling! :D
Where do the Escalade go? Cam swap that baby!
Since you do it a lot, what kind of money you get to do it all.
Iv got an 07, giving to my kid, mileage is I believe 185 k range.
I'm sure it's just waiting to happen. Any brake upgrade options? I switched to drilled and slotted rotors but it still eats up pads crazy fast and braking still sucks balls, other than brakes has ran like a champ ( so far )
This was around $1500 in parts, including the head rebuild. If your 07 is a non-AFM motor, you can shave a few 100 off the parts as you aren't deleting the active fuel management stuff.
Eats brakes? Put factory delco pads on...a little pricey but they last forever.
Awesome thread. I am planning on installing a used 5.3 in my Jeep Scrambler Project so all of this info will come in handy for sure! :thumbup:
If you need a stand alone wiring harness or misc stuff for the swap let me know
Quick questions for you. I have a 2010 Chevy 5.3 liter with 65k miles on it, almost every time I start my truck I hear a brief lifter knocking noise for about 5-10 seconds and goes right away. Once the truck is warmed up and restart no noise at all. Not sure if this is something serious or common until the lifters get the proper oil. Can I get to the filter that you are talking about without tearing the motor apart? It looks like it is on the manifold. Thanks so much need as I need this truck to last.
You can access the screen by removing the oil pressure sender, and reaching in with a little dentist hook.

Pulling the intake is a 30 min job, I would recommend just doing that Instead of fighting the intake in place. You may end up breaking the oil pressure sensor trying to fumble around behind the intake with a socket

The best way to keep that screen from getting clogged if left in place is to change the oil frequently. Although the motors now days do fine on extended oil change intervals, these AFM equipped motors don't like it. Clean oil extends the life of the AFM solonoids, lifters, and keeps that little screen clean.

As far as the noise .... It may be a lifter that takes a few seconds to pump up on cold start - but it could also be the notorious GM cold start piston slap, which doesn't hurt anything but is annoying. Would need to hear the noise to identify what it is
Not sure on the stabilitrac error, that is a code not stored in the engine computer. Could be a bad wheel speed sensor in the front hub bearing as someone else said. Need to have it scanned to pull the code from the BCM I believe
Awesome thread! My 02 5.3 has about 130K on it and runs great. It would be fun to give it to you for a week to let you work your magic and play around with it. All it takes is money! ;)
Your 02 is easy....if the lifters are quiet now and it's in good shape, just do a cam and spring swap and tune. Heads can stay on and be left alone unless you want to refresh them
Good info here. A cam + tune really wake up the vortec engine. Hot Rod had done a series of cam swaps with dyno results, swaps go as far as +100 lb and +130 hp from cam / lifters :yikes.

It looks like your combo is going to be good for a daily driver / SUV but still have the power when you mash it. Keeping idle and torque #'s are going to be key when most folks don' or can't really use the big HP #'s while winding out their grocery getter.

Certainly going to have bitchen results for an afternoon of work.

So how much? :skull:skull:skull
Parts and head work was close to 1500 without labor. You can save some money if you don't need to have the heads gone through, or if you don't have AFM requiring the parts we had to buy to delete. Labor is....well....PM me and let's see what you have [emoji3]
Nice write up Jerry! :thumbup:
We did one almost exactly this way a few years back, truck ran like a bat outa hell!!!

Did Alex reprogram it for you??

Thanks Joe! Had insomnia last night [emoji3]
Alex will dyno it this weekend hopefully, I need to tow it over there
Put a Tru-Cool 40k GVWR cooler on it....that will fix any heat problem you may have. They work killer
So what was the cost of parts?

My wife's 2008 Suburban has 75,000 miles and the clock is ticking.
About $1500. Check that screen and change your oil frequently...don't go 7k even if the maintenance light says it's ok with these motors. Cheap insurance for all the little parts that keep the AFM working well
Yea 243 or 799 heads are the ticket, but if you don't deck them when swapping in an earlier 5.3 with dished Pistons you will lower the compression 1/2 point or so. The 4.8 / 5.3 heads had a smaller chamber to make up for the dished Pistons. Every .007 removed in head deck = about 1cc in the combustion chamber. 4cc reduction in chamber size is a .030 cut.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Would you recommend replacing , cleaning, or just removing the little screen under the sender?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Good to know the newer version of the old school "top end job" is alive and well on these AFM rigs.

Great documentation work and looks like solid point improvements. Looking forward to seeing the bump in useable performance.

As to the screen getting mucked up, lots of guys think the oil change details don't really matter and use cheap oil and low end jobber filters.

Stuff like higher quality, slightly more frequently changed oil, better filters, and magnets really pay off over the long haul especially in vehicles that tow, and being meticulous about that stuff matters more now than ever.

Thanks

UD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Would you recommend replacing , cleaning, or just removing the little screen under the sender?

I would be inclined to replace it, and just keep the oil clean. Keep in mine if you pull it out to check it, it usually rips so you must have a replacement on hand. They are cheap, dealer usually has them in stock. I believe there is a TSB on the screen issue on these motors, so they know about it....

A lot of guys just remove them, but you gotta figure GM felt they were important enough to design and manufacture that screen in the first place, it does serve a function in preventing debris from entering the AFM system.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Great thread, thanks for documenting the process!

-Zack

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yea 243 or 799 heads are the ticket, but if you don't deck them when swapping in an earlier 5.3 with dished Pistons you will lower the compression 1/2 point or so. The 4.8 / 5.3 heads had a smaller chamber to make up for the dished Pistons. Every .007 removed in head deck = about 1cc in the combustion chamber. 4cc reduction in chamber size is a .030 cut.

So what would you suggest to do to a 2001 5.3 with 190k on the clock? I don't think it burns oil. Definitely has a rear main leak though. Pretty much just gonna be a tow vehicle for whatever trailer I buy and my small boat.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So what would you suggest to do to a 2001 5.3 with 190k on the clock? I don't think it burns oil. Definitely has a rear main leak though. Pretty much just gonna be a tow vehicle for whatever trailer I buy and my small boat.

It probably has a lot of life left in it if you've taken care of it. Oil pressure still good?
Rear main block cover / seal assembly is $60, but you have to drop the Trans to do the job.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I changed the screen on my oil pressure sender with the intake in place. Bought the special oil pressure socket at autozone. Used a right angle pick to pull the screen out. I'd just buy a new screen at GM for $5!

rush1

Reaction score
I would be inclined to replace it, and just keep the oil clean. Keep in mine if you pull it out to check it, it usually rips so you must have a replacement on hand. They are cheap, dealer usually has them in stock. I believe there is a TSB on the screen issue on these motors, so they know about it....

A lot of guys just remove them, but you gotta figure GM felt they were important enough to design and manufacture that screen in the first place, it does serve a function in preventing debris from entering the AFM system.

That's Gospel right there :thumbup:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It probably has a lot of life left in it if you've taken care of it. Oil pressure still good?
Rear main block cover / seal assembly is $60, but you have to drop the Trans to do the job.
Oil pressure according to the dash gauge looks good still. I haven't really checked it closely lately.

It needs a new torque converter and the transfer case gone through too. It needs lots of lovin. But, still runs well and never let's me down.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Awesome read. [emoji106]. Be careful Jerry... You're going to have a line of RDP trucks in front of your house. [emoji12] I'm at 125K on my 05 5.3.
your 05 doesn't have active fuel management,hopefully you never see issues like this, my 05 6.0 has about 260k and shows no signs of giving up

Runs2rch

Reaction score

I just did one of these. Cleaned everything. Crazy to see the underside of an 02 so clean!