WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Social media, judging the book by the cover, Life lesson learned.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I am in my late 50s and find myself spending a great deal of time on here and other forums. I really enjoy reading the different posts/stories and engaging in conversations with people that have common interests. I often wonder if I actually met some of the people I have had "internet" convos with in person, would I have still reached out and have those same discussions? kinda like putting a face to the voice. Usually not what you anticipate.

Unfortunately I venture to guess I would not based on the cover of the book!
Uncomfortable of my stature to theirs
Theirs is bigger than mine complex!
??????

I need to stop judging the book by the cover!!
Cause i think there is a whole lot of people I have missed out enjoying a beer and convo on the lakeshore or trailside with.

I don't know, just my thought for the day!
Carry on!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In working around old cars, I learned that people surely aren't always as they appear. Met an inked up guy in his 50s, overalls and no shirt...kind of "tweakeresque". Super nice guy, owned a relatively big fire sprinkler business doing high rise work. One of my good friends in Cali still, mexican guy, lowrider looking and sleeved. I was surprised to find out he took his kids and wife to church on Sundays, before taking them surfing.

Some of the people I have met from here were the same types I would have never spoken with in normal interactions. In my case, it's more being intimidated by their apparent wealth or status.

Boats and cars, as well as other hobbies I assume, are a common thread amongst people that seemingly have little or nothing in common. If interest is shown for like things, people seem to be a bit more relaxed around eachother.

Yes, there are still assholes in every group, but better not to assume everyone is...at least that's what I've been told. Or was I told I'm the asshole in every group? Something like that ;)

4Waters

Reaction score
I've met several as well, all of them have been cool down to earth people. A few of them have bigger and faster boats than I do and they don't make anyone feel like less of a boater.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
apparent wealth or status doesnt mean shit to me. i dont care what you got, who you know, etc if your just a cool person, perfect. if your an fucktarded asshole i dont have time or the paitence for your fucktardism.

bingo..

Growing up in Parker I learned at a very young age, ya never know who you are talking too.... and some people are cool and some people are dicks.. the money isn’t really the gating factor.

if you are wondering why I referenced Parker.. up until about ten years ago there was WAAAYYY more money in Parker than their ever was in Lake Havasu. Lol. Like household brand money..

4Waters

Reaction score
apparent wealth or status doesnt mean shit to me. i dont care what you got, who you know, etc if your just a cool person, perfect. if your an fucktarded asshole i dont have time or the paitence for your fucktardism.
I'm not a fucktard but I have been advised by several people (+/- more +🤣) that I'm an asshole. Is that OK?🤣

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've met a ton of people from this board. Pretty much all of them have been cool as fuck.

It's hard to judge the True meaning of what someone is posting by just reading words on a page.

I'm no wordsmith, so people probably don't take half of what I write the way I meant to say it!

I wish I could post/write like @Flyinbowtie or Tom Brown. I'm sadly stuck with just being me. 😝

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Kind of afraid to meet some of the LEO here...may have met them in a "past life" :oops:
I'd venture to say a few here have "grown up" some, and others have "come up", but still remember where they started. No "royalty" here, just people.

There's a whole list of people I'd like to meet. There are people here that are extremely gifted fabricators or builders, some veterans and some racers...even just your "average joe's" with families or stories to tell. Really, there's not one person here I couldn't learn stuff from. Be it in a skill, or how to live.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I haven't / won't post a picture of my hoopty-ass boat and 15 year old truck here for fear of being banned ! LOL
I'm not ashamed of my program . . . I'm just way out-classed. But I bet most people here would help me if I were ever broke down.
i was on that dirt road on my way into walters camp a couple years ago, I stopped to take pictures and a couple in some bitchin-ass Giant RV rig pulled-up an asked if I was ok. They even stopped and got out, and offered me some water or a cold beer ! It was like we had known each other for years ! Seems the river/ lake brings out the best in most people.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I have met plenty of folks on here... One I'll never forget @alohajeff , he arranged a tee time at Lake Arrowhead Golf Club.... Private course. I asked if there was anyway I could get on the course. He stepped up and made it happen... that was back in May 2014. I might have to look him up again.

Others I have met on on Social sites have all been good people as well. When I arranged a RDP meet up in Mission Viejo, I met quite a few nice folks. I don't care about race, financial, boat or other stuff........ you are either a nice person, or a take ya or leave ya......... OR an AH and I don't have time for you :)

Sharpy

Reaction score
Almost everyone I’ve met here and the other boating forums before this have been really cool and way down to earth, with one exception. We were at some get together probably 12-13 years ago and I was tied up to Kilrtoy shooting the shit with him and Yvonne. Another well known member pulled up in a new unique boat that I was really interested in learning more about. We tied him up and he jumped across my hatch faster than shit. I tried to introduce my self and all I got was “yeah hey, I’m so and so” before he was gone. By all accounts he was a cool dude, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Campbell Carl was and will always be my favorite, that guy could make people laugh!

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
Couple of my best friends today I met on my old computer BBS system in the early 90s.

redone76

Reaction score
Kind of afraid to meet some of the LEO here...may have met them in a "past life" :oops:
I'd venture to say a few here have "grown up" some, and others have "come up", but still remember where they started. No "royalty" here, just people.

There's a whole list of people I'd like to meet. There are people here that are extremely gifted fabricators or builders, some veterans and some racers...even just your "average joe's" with families or stories to tell. Really, there's not one person here I couldn't learn stuff from. Be it in a skill, or how to live.
I want to hangout in your garage

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Everyone I have ever met from RDP have been great people to hang out with. I am just as comfortable hanging out with a blue collar worker, or a millionaire. I don't talk money, and don't ask prople what they do for a living. I prefer to not be asked questions about myself either.

Several people have opened their homes to me, that I have either never met, or had just met. River Dave, rivermobster, and WMC & Wendi. Bloodshot420 offered for me to stay at his house in Venice Beach once, and he wasn't even going to be there (I didn't take him up on that, but I appreciated the gesture).

Sent From Tapatalk

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
The boating group is way cool, yes you still run into some assholes once in awhile but for the most part its been a great, What i still can't get my head around is how i now have good friends all over the country, most of my life i have had lake boats and just did the so cal lakes, couple times to lake powell, but in 2005 when i bought an offshore boat it opened up a whole new world, night and day difference, met whole new group of people and experiences, And what i think is really cool is it doesnt matter how new or expensive your boat is everyone just gets along,

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Everyone I have ever met from RDP have been great people to hang out with. I am just as comfortable hanging out with a blue collar worker, or a millionaire. I don't talk money, and don't ask prople what they do for a living. I prefer to not be asked questions about myself either.
For sure, last year in key west we were hanging out with a group of the nicest people, when we were getting ready to leave it came up that they were flying home from the keys, i asked what flight to see if we were on the same one, nope they came down in there own jet.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ve met quite a few in person from here and can’t say i walked away thinking “asshole.....” yet after.
My wife points out i know more
People online than in person, but i think that’s just part of being slightly introverted.

Your ad here

Reaction score
The forums help break the ice when meeting other members in person. You know some stuff about members before you even meet them. Presentation plays an initial role but you never really know who someone is until you talk to them and get to know them.

redone76

Reaction score
I'd need to see your papers...tetanus shot must be current, and the dress code is "greasy/casual" :oops:
Haha...trust me...there’s dirt under my nails and bearing grease in my blood. I think we could tell mechanic stories until the sun sets

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
We would float at Pleasant with a few board members, I was in my old 89 Magic that was worth 9k, the other guys were in their beautiful big money boats. The thing is, we all had a great time with friends and family doing what we love, lake life!

The majority people I talk to now are pretty much the people that I've met here and that's even moving across the country to FL. They come to visit, we still hang. RDP is rad!

240Hallett

Reaction score
We would float at Pleasant with a few board members, I was in my old 89 Magic that was worth 9k, the other guys were in their beautiful big money boats. The thing is, we all had a great time with friends and family doing what we love, lake life!

The majority people I talk to now are pretty much the people that I've met here and that's even moving across the country to FL. They come to visit, we still hang. RDP is rad!
Speaking of hangin’...beers in about a month?

TeamGreene

Reaction score
bingo..

Growing up in Parker I learned at a very young age, ya never know who you are talking too.... and some people are cool and some people are dicks.. the money isn’t really the gating factor.

if you are wondering why I referenced Parker.. up until about ten years ago there was WAAAYYY more money in Parker than their ever was in Lake Havasu. Lol. Like household brand money..
Money and alcohol are for the most part character revealers not builders. if you're an asshole add money or alcohol you just become a bigger ahole.

havasuhusker

Reaction score

This ^

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
After reading all of these I have come to the conclusion that, should I ever make it to the "river" or "Havasu" I will need to be prepared for a whole lot of drinking with my new interweb friends!! 🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻 I can handle that.
What ever would give you that idea? :) You know there is a lot of other things to do in Havasu than drink and going to parties.

Well i least thats what i heard. Can't wait for this thursday and the street fair.

Singleton

Reaction score
Everyone I have meet have been great folks.
best part, everyone tries to help everyone when needed
some think I am an ass, but only at first :)

Reactions: DWC

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I haven't / won't post a picture of my hoopty-ass boat and 15 year old truck here for fear of being banned ! LOL
I'm not ashamed of my program . . . I'm just way out-classed. But I bet most people here would help me if I were ever broke down.
i was on that dirt road on my way into walters camp a couple years ago, I stopped to take pictures and a couple in some bitchin-ass Giant RV rig pulled-up an asked if I was ok. They even stopped and got out, and offered me some water or a cold beer ! It was like we had known each other for years ! Seems the river/ lake brings out the best in most people.
I hear ya! My dock banger is a Bayliner/Trophy and seems they line up to talk shit. I just laugh, they don’t know me, and are usually floating a30 year old jet boat.
Been to a few gatherings and everyone’s always been cool.

calkid

Reaction score
We're probably as average as you can get, we go out but don't party like we used to. We'll be at the street party Thursday evening but probably hanging by the pool most of the weekend. We started the Havasu thing in 1972 and spent most of the 80's at Black Meadows then alternating between Windsor and Havasu Marina.
Maybe we need some "hello, My Name Is" stickers (River Dave style) for events like these so we can spot each other.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
We're probably as average as you can get, we go out but don't party like we used to. We'll be at the street party Thursday evening but probably hanging by the pool most of the weekend. We started the Havasu thing in 1972 and spent most of the 80's at Black Meadows then alternating between Windsor and Havasu Marina.
Maybe we need some "hello, My Name Is" stickers (River Dave style) for events like these so we can spot each other.
'fuck that just do like i do be 6'4" and 300# i'm easy to spot. come up and say hello.

1618880812197.jpeg

River Runnin

Reaction score
I'm old, fat, and don't drink! -- I won't mention the Trophy! 😆 -- I have meet a few RDP'ers! -- But since I have a Cool metal Boat! ... They'd never admit it! 🤣