WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Soft Jaw Halo

Toolman

Reaction score
When cutting soft jaws to hold apart on the OD it’s fairly easy by clamping in a spacer or a socket inside the jaws and do the cutting. When clamping on the ID of a part creates more of a problem getting the soft jaws cut precisely making up for the slop in the chuck when it’s expanding to grip a part. This halo or as they now call it, Soft Jaw Boring Ring, is the greatest thing ever. The best feature is you just twist the ring to get really fine increments. This would also work if you wanted to bore all the way through the jaws on the inside for OD gripping. $250 and worth every penny.
0AC918E3-FB99-4606-B987-25768F6D58C2.jpeg
87A8FDB2-B165-4BB9-BF67-9B18C3D29EDA.jpeg

Last edited:

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Sorry dumb question. Did you make the three Aluminum Jaws, or did you source them someplace with the right gear teeth? I am familiar with milling shapes in vice soft jaws but never seen it on a lathe 3 jaw.

Toolman

Reaction score
Sorry dumb question. Did you make the three Aluminum Jaws, or did you source them someplace with the right gear teeth? I am familiar with milling shapes in vice soft jaws but never seen it on a lathe 3 jaw.
I buy them as blanks with the teeth and bolt holes already machined.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

The soft jaw bolts to a master back jaw, it's 2 pieces. Their are a couple different styles, on manual lathes you will see mainly dovetail style jaw fit, as the chuck has a lot of travel, on a CNC it's usually serrated so the front jaw (soft or hard jaw) can be moved in increments of ~1/16 of a inch in or out and tightened, i think this is because the automatic CNC chucks don't have a huge range of travel like a scroll chuck does.

My Mori CNC has serrated jaws on a Kitagawa chuck, on my Graziano i have Bison chucks, they are dovetail style.

The dovetail ones are easier to make yourself, but it's usually not worth the machining time, they are pretty cheap to just buy the blanks. I just bought a few sets from Shars, steel soft jaws, they are about $50 a set, you can't make them for anywhere near that, that's like what $17 per jaw?

s-l640.jpg

81vf6PMQEqL._AC_SY355_.jpg

😂
@Toolman you just convinced me to buy one of those boring rings, i almost did when i placed my order with shars last week.

Toolman

Reaction score
@Racey If you notice that ring is way bigger than my chuck. My chuck is an 8 inch and the ring is a 10 inch. I ordered the larger ring because it has a larger opening inside that I can access the jaws better.