WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Soft water system non salt?

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
I’m in chino hills, our city does not allow the salt soft water systems. My wife wants a soft water system here since she loves soft water system in Havasu house. Any info on these systems, price, longevity, maintance, etc. any hook ups on here. Thx

Boat 405

Reaction score
No salt water softners don't exist. It's a chemical reaction that makes it soft water. You have to use sodium chloride or potassium chloride. Nature of the beast.

A water softener works by running hard water through a bed of ion exchange resin. The resin removes the hardness minerals by exchanging them for sodium or potassium ions.

The systems that are called “salt-free water softeners” don’t remove hardness minerals. In fact, they have no effect on the concentration. If you test water after treatment by one of these systems for hardness, it will be the same as before.

Sometimes referred to as “salt-free water conditioners” (which is an accurate term), what these systems do is reduce scale buildup. They do this by making the hardness minerals form microcrystals which don’t build up in pipes, appliances and fixtures. However, since the water is hard, you’ll still see water spots, need extra soap and have dry skin and hair.

HitIt

Reaction score
our city does not allow the salt soft water systems.

Boohoo. Ignorance is bliss.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Go buy the system in AZ or wherever and install it yourself. Fock them. Shitting in the streets , needles littering the streets among the millions of homeless abound and they are worried about water softeners.
Just be ready for the extra water usage and make sure it is separated from outdoor water usage.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I’m in chino hills, our city does not allow the salt soft water systems. My wife wants a soft water system here since she loves soft water system in Havasu house. Any info on these systems, price, longevity, maintance, etc. any hook ups on here. Thx

How would they know? As the other poster said. Go buy one and install it.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Boat 405 nailed it. The non-salt water softeners are a joke. Don’t waste your money on anything like that. It simply won’t do what you want it to. In fact it won’t do what the scam artists claim they do either.

As others have go buy a resin bed softener wherever you can install it yourself or with some help if you need it and you will be happy. They really don’t use that much extra water.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Boat 405 nailed it. The non-salt water softeners are a joke. Don’t waste your money on anything like that. It simply won’t do what you want it to. In fact it won’t do what the scam artists claim they do either.

As others have go buy a resin bed softener wherever you can install it yourself or with some help if you need it and you will be happy. They really don’t use that much extra water.
Check with Rayne Water, they do a tank replacement every 2 weeks, so you won’t have to set up a drain or have to buy salt. It’s all self contained.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I’m doing a Halo system in my house. Full
House filtration and removes all minerals. Without salt or requiring any maintenance. Just need my guys to slow down so they can come install it for me.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I rent mine from Rayne for $35 a month. It's a tank they replace every week. There's no canister that I have to put salt into. The liquid that purged from my old system went into my gravel on the side yard and caused the stucco to peel off that wall.
I think I was paying $29 a month for the old system, and I had to pay for the salt. Rayne wanted me to purchase that system from them for $900. After a couple years it broke and because I was still renting it, they replaced it for free. Glad I didn't purchase it.
For $35 a month and no hassle, think about the sealed tank that I have now.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
We have 3 tanks from Culligan changed twice (maybe 3) times a month. I think it's about 75 a month.
SCV made us dump our salt water softener:mad:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I’m doing a Halo system in my house. Full
House filtration and removes all minerals. Without salt or requiring any maintenance. Just need my guys to slow down so they can come install it for me.

Does this give you feel of a softener?? my wife likes the feeling of the salt water softener.
Might have to look into this. rough price??

sorry missed the link below your comment.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
While we have some pros on here. ..
Should I use my soft water to feed my RO system?

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Not true. The good potassium systems work well. Use way less product also compared to salt.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Does this give you feel of a softener?? my wife likes the feeling of the salt water softener.
Might have to look into this. rough price??

sorry missed the link below your comment.

It doesn’t give the slimy feeling of soft water.

We have some promos for like $4995. I have some room in that price for anyone interested.

fishing fool

Reaction score
As @Boat 405 said "salt" cleans the resin bed once it is packed with hardness... The Rayne companey come and change out the resin beds and take them back to their site and use salt to clean and bring them back.

Is chino hills talking about "salt water pools" ?

No salt water softners don't exist. It's a chemical reaction that makes it soft water. You have to use sodium chloride or potassium chloride. Nature of the beast.

A water softener works by running hard water through a bed of ion exchange resin. The resin removes the hardness minerals by exchanging them for sodium or potassium ions.

The systems that are called “salt-free water softeners” don’t remove hardness minerals. In fact, they have no effect on the concentration. If you test water after treatment by one of these systems for hardness, it will be the same as before.

Sometimes referred to as “salt-free water conditioners” (which is an accurate term), what these systems do is reduce scale buildup. They do this by making the hardness minerals form microcrystals which don’t build up in pipes, appliances and fixtures. However, since the water is hard, you’ll still see water spots, need extra soap and have dry skin and hair.

I rent mine from Rayne for $35 a month. It's a tank they replace every week. There's no canister that I have to put salt into. The liquid that purged from my old system went into my gravel on the side yard and caused the stucco to peel off that wall.
I think I was paying $29 a month for the old system, and I had to pay for the salt. Rayne wanted me to purchase that system from them for $900. After a couple years it broke and because I was still renting it, they replaced it for free. Glad I didn't purchase it.

WYRD

Reaction score
Where is this located?

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
How often should the resin tanks get replaced? I have a salt system that was already in the house and I have never done the resin tank. Only kept up on the salt

FreeBird236

Reaction score
How often should the resin tanks get replaced? I have a salt system that was already in the house and I have never done the resin tank. Only kept up on the salt
Somewhat depends on your water, mine here in Havasu is 15 years old and the last time the RO was tested the guy said it was probably good for a few more years. I've always figured I'd replace the unit rather than change the media.