WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Solar door-to-door sales

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Good grief, I broke from my usual don't answer the door for people peddling product/services. Dammit. This was solar, they almost always are these days. Vivint this time around. "'Just' informing you of a new program...blah, blah, blah. Why did I say I'm the homeowner?? Right, yeah, they will say a few words a leave. Starts going on and on. I finally say, lets get to the point, you're selling/pushing a solar system. They were pushing a PPA. Claiming there's a just released new program where they'll give the equipment (panels, etc.) for free in return for signing the PPA. Come on, I wasn't born yesterday, and that's not how PPA Solar works. Sure, they put their panels/equipment and then they remove them at end of PPA (they is option to purchase - although, this guy wasn't going that route as he claimed they were free). And then the arguing started. I claim B.S.; no Company is giving away the equipment for free when signing a PPA. Maybe I'm wrong and haven't heard of this spectacular new program. I keep telling the guy, look, no solar panels are hitting my roof without being 100% paid in cash and operating without an agreement. He couldn't get it. They never do. No solar outfit (at the door) has ever pushed solar panel/equipment purchase..never. Round and round, finally, I said I'm done with this. His last words were "look it up, PPA." Like it was the holy grail of solar, which is quite the opposite.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I currently have three homes in escrow that have different solar programs. All I will say is, I have had to take my sales skills to the next level to get buyers to assume some of these programs.

I agree with the paid solar aspect. Also, I will note...some of these companies can really destroy a roof during the install.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Good grief, I broke from my usual don't answer the door for people peddling product/services. Dammit. This was solar, they almost always are these days. Vivint this time around. "'Just' informing you of a new program...blah, blah, blah. Why did I say I'm the homeowner?? Right, yeah, they will say a few words a leave. Starts going on and on. I finally say, lets get to the point, you're selling/pushing a solar system. They were pushing a PPA. Claiming there's a just released new program where they'll give the equipment (panels, etc.) for free in return for signing the PPA. Come on, I wasn't born yesterday, and that's not how PPA Solar works. Sure, they put their panels/equipment and then they remove them at end of PPA (they is option to purchase - although, this guy wasn't going that route as he claimed they were free). And then the arguing started. I claim B.S.; no Company is giving away the equipment for free when signing a PPA. Maybe I'm wrong and haven't heard of this spectacular new program. I keep telling the guy, look, no solar panels are hitting my roof without being 100% paid in cash and operating without an agreement. He couldn't get it. They never do. No solar outfit (at the door) has ever pushed solar panel/equipment purchase..never. Round and round, finally, I said I'm done with this. His last words were "look it up, PPA." Like it was the holy grail of solar, which is quite the opposite.
I just tell them I'm renting the house and the landlord isn't available.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Two years ago I fell for the traveling windshield guy. Had him do it because insurance paid for it. When you look at it from certain angles, I swear there are waves in it and no brand windshield wiper does a good job and I’ve tried them all....never again.
I need someone to throw a rock at it so I can get another one.:D

socal0487

Reaction score

PPA agreements are free upfront but have a lot of stipulations. My house has vivint on it and was a PPA prior to me buying it. Made the owners buy the panels out before closing cause the contract was not favorable

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
PPA is the easiest to deal with when selling a property because the PPA payment isn't counted toward the borrowers DTI like a standard lease or installment loan.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BasilHayden

Reaction score
PPA is the easiest to deal with when selling a property because the PPA payment isn't counted toward the borrowers DTI like a standard lease or installment loan.

PPA is also the most costly way to take advantage of solar and can only help if sized correctly. God forbid you assume a system oversized for your use as you have to buy all the power it produces whether you use it or not, and selling it at the end of the year to the utility for pennies on the dollar since you have nothing left to offset against. Joe no offence, but please dont promote a PPA, its worse for the consumer than a lease in almost every case. Buy solar, don't rent it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
PPA is also the most costly way to take advantage of solar and can only help if sized correctly. God forbid you assume a system oversized for your use as you have to buy all the power it produces whether you use it or not, and selling it at the end of the year to the utility for pennies on the dollar since you have nothing left to offset against. Joe no offence, but please dont promote a PPA, its worse for the consumer than a lease in almost every case. Buy solar, don't rent it.

Wasn't promoting anything, just making a comment on what is the easiest to deal with when selling a home.

Isn't a lease like renting it too??

No offense, but solar companies have been screwing people for years with systems bigger than they need and using HERO/PACE financing that wrecks people if they decide to sell their home. I could write a list 10 pages long of deals that I have had get screwed up due to solar leases and HERO liens.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Vivent is essentially creating a solar farm by giving people free equipment and offering set per kw electrical prices.
Couple of my neighbors got bamboozled into it. They hit our hood hard with sales reps.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Same thing I do when they try and grab me at homedepot

I tell them that I am homeless and without job. But willing to have a conversation because I have nothing but time. LOL

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Wasn't promoting anything, just making a comment on what is the easiest to deal with when selling a home.

Isn't a lease like renting it too??

No offense, but solar companies have been screwing people for years with systems bigger than they need and using HERO/PACE financing that wrecks people if they decide to sell their home. I could write a list 10 pages long of deals that I have had get screwed up due to solar leases and HERO liens.

Yes leasing is renting as well, I reread and see why you think I was promoting a lease, But in fact I have said for 10 years that leasing SUX, buy. I was merely pointing that PPA is worse than a Lease. As to solar companies screwing people, absolutely they have, which is why I have been trying to get people here to listen and do their research. Have we used PACE over the years, yes, but only after educating and the customer realizing it was their only option if they wanted to pursue solar. It is still better than getting screwed by the utility, but you have to know you will be paying it back including the fee. BTW almost all "solar loans" pitched by my competitors have huges fees, but they are only 2.99%. I educate my buyers and tell them I would rather they not pay a fee up front and pay 5.99%, in the end the cost of the system is less and the cost per month is within pennies.

Last, motre people got screwed with smaller systems than have ever been screwed with bigger systems, thats just a fact. Almost every customer I have uses 10-25% more power after solar than they did pre-solar. Why is that? Because they now have free power is what they think. Lights are left on and AC is used non stop after solar is installed. Anyone who has received my emails lnow, one of the first questions asked is, "Are you living the way you want, or would your wife be happier with the house a bit cooler.

I do take offence at your comment, because it does seem as you are lashing out at me personally, but as we know each other I know better I think and believe you are lashing out at tin-men in my industry. These tin-men are exactly who I am fighting everyday. Just as i would believe that you would try to do whats right for your customers by educating them as to the right product fits their needs. As opposed to giving them a loan of X just because the score will support it. Because your industry would never do that.

nowski

Reaction score
Good Grief now that you learned you lesson just tell them that you rent, shuts them up everytime...

RodnJen

Reaction score
The sales calls have slowed drastically the last few months in our area.

BajaMike

Reaction score
One advantage of living in gate guarded HOA. They can’t get in.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
If I ever get a solar salesman knock on my door, I will give them BasilHayden number and tell them he is the owner and will might be interested in a solar system... :p:D

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
The PPA/Lease programs are an even larger issue in the commercial solar segment. They all have an escalator built in and when rates don’t go up as fast as that escalator you become upside down.

PGE has not raised the commercial rates but has raised the demand charges. In the last couple of months I have dealt with several school districts who are paying more per year than before they had solar.

I will always say that if your solar installer offers a PPA/Lease you have the wrong installer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C-2

Reaction score
Many solar/home improvement salespeople in LA are super aggressive and are trained not to leave your house unless a) they have a contract in hand, or b) the police are called. NOT KIDDING. They also work in teams and pull the "good cop, bad cop" routine.

Just yesterday the LA City Attorney filed a lawsuit against a solar contractor for taking advantage of PACE programs. Also, the LA County Assessor is offering relief to seniors whose taxes are no longer affordable, or who are at risk of losing their home to foreclosure because of a solar or home improvement contract.