WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Solar Panels

Boat 405

Reaction score
Who has had a PV system installed on their RV garage in Havasu? I'm thinking a 5-6kw system for my house simply to zero out my bill each month. Between the electric dryer, electric water heater, two refrigerators, 2 ductless mini splits in the garage, main house ac unit, heater/chiller heat pump for the pool, and pool pump, things are starting to add up. Anyone have a ball park pricing for this ?

boatpi

Reaction score
Do it, research got but we just got word congress is about the extend 26% tax credit through 2021. Our pergolas are designed to carry solar panels, so that is all good. More so for mfg homes as the roof cannot support solar. Get good panels, that have inverter built in. I have 3 AC, garage mini, 4 pool pumps, 4K square feet, in Las Vegas, I pay NV just $10.80 per month year round.

jailbird141

Reaction score
Following. In the building stage now and if I am gonna do a solar system I would rather do it now instead of later.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Nobody? 6 kw is a pretty common size. In havasu should provide about 850 kw a month. Based on average sunlight year round. That would do it for me.

DWC

Reaction score
Nobody? 6 kw is a pretty common size. In havasu should provide about 850 kw a month. Based on average sunlight year round. That would do it for me.
I keep hearing it’s not cost effective yet but it is a matter of time. When we move out full time I’ll make the switch.. Been a great decision in So Cal

Boat 405

Reaction score
True, but I guarantee the cost of electricity will never go down.

Don’t care about cost effectiveness. I just don’t want to pay each month. I’d rather pay the $15-$20k for a setup and move on. Heck that’s a nice scx setup cost. But it’s still not cost effective....

Reactions: DWC

FishSniper

Reaction score
Who has had a PV system installed on their RV garage in Havasu? I'm thinking a 5-6kw system for my house simply to zero out my bill each month. Between the electric dryer, electric water heater, two refrigerators, 2 ductless mini splits in the garage, main house ac unit, heater/chiller heat pump for the pool, and pool pump, things are starting to add up. Anyone have a ball park pricing for this ?
I have wondered the same hopefully someone will have some insight.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
So what is your goal? Do you just want to call a solar company, sign some papers and have everything installed and tied to the grid/electric company? I don't have any experience with this... But, I just bought 10 - 400 watt Trina solar panels for a 4000kw array. It was $2100 for the panels, connectors, fuses and wire. I am more inline with @mjc is doing.

Its hard to be cost effective when you go the traditional route with a solar company and grid tie, because everyone has their hands in your wallet and you pay 3x more... If you do it yourself and just generate your own power use it or store it in your own battery bank then its way different math.

If I had a large garage/shop/RV garage with a flat roof in Havasu, I would probably just load the roof up with solar panels and tie it into the shop/RV garage sub panel. I would use an smart inverter that would use the solar power as it is being generated and connect it to the grid power behind the meter where it gets whatever from the grid that the sun can't provide. I would probably just run the main house directly off the grid and treat it as "critical" and forgo the solar... That would be the simplest way in my mind to get some free power...

Boat 405

Reaction score
So what is your goal? Do you just want to call a solar company, sign some papers and have everything installed and tied to the grid/electric company? I don't have any experience with this... But, I just bought 10 - 400 watt Trina solar panels for a 4000kw array. It was $2100 for the panels, connectors, fuses and wire. I am more inline with @mjc is doing.

Its hard to be cost effective when you go the traditional route with a solar company and grid tie, because everyone has their hands in your wallet and you pay 3x more... If you do it yourself and just generate your own power use it or store it in your own battery bank then its way different math.

If I had a large garage/shop/RV garage with a flat roof in Havasu, I would probably just load the roof up with solar panels and tie it into the shop/RV garage sub panel. I would use an smart inverter that would use the solar power as it is being generated and connect it to the grid power behind the meter where it gets whatever from the grid that the sun can't provide. I would probably just run the main house directly off the grid and treat it as "critical" and forgo the solar... That would be the simplest way in my mind to get some free power...

I’m sure I could go this route if I had the time. I don’t and would rather pay someone to install while I’ll go to work and earn the money doing what I know how to do best.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I will look at it for you and prepare a realistic cost vs return on investment based on current rates.

To do so i will need someone to send me your current bill so I can use real info. Can I get Boat 405 and DWC to pull together their bills and send it to me. Hell this time of year I might convince a team to head out for a week and do a few homes.