WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sold the old homestead

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Downey was an outstanding place to grow up. Went thru 12th grade there. Parents purchased the semi custom home, in a desirable part of town, for $18k in 1954, sold in 1970 for $36k. They were thrilled, they had doubled their money. Place still looks very nice and mostly as it was in 1970. Appears it's been well cared for. Current price estimate, $842k. 9345 Gotham St.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Where in Downey?
On Adoree st right by Rancho Los Amigos.
I was actually born in Downey and grew up on Alameda st. right down the street from North American Aviation. I moved around quite bit as a young adult but eventually found my way back to Downey and have been there for the last 23 Yrs.
Now it's retirement time and the Havasu house will be our permanent home.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Congrats on your sale, retirement and welcome to Havasu. Rancho Los Amigos was/is a hospital of miracles. What a shame, some idiots now claim it's haunted and a bunch of other BS like that. North American Aviation - The fathers of nearly half my friends once worked there, the proud home of the Apollo project. Downey was once an amazing place.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I just turned down $775,000 for my rental because I won't be a dick and kick out my renters.

also checking into taxes it looks like I can avoid long term capital gains (15%) if household income is below 80k... so maybe selling it after I retire is the ticket.

death, taxes and earthquakes, which one will come first?

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Congrats on your sale, retirement and welcome to Havasu. Rancho Los Amigos was/is a hospital of miracles. What a shame, some idiots now claim it's haunted and a bunch of other BS like that. North American Aviation - The fathers of nearly half my friends once worked there, the proud home of the Apollo project. Downey was once an amazing place.
Yep, growing up there we had North American, Aerojet General, General Kinetics, General Dynamics and a few other small defense contractors. We were a defense community.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I just turned down $775,000 for my rental because I won't be a dick and kick out my renters.

also checking into taxes it looks like I can avoid long term capital gains (15%) if household income is below 80k... so maybe selling it after I retire is the ticket?

death, taxes and earthquakes.
I'm in a similar situation. I have a rental in So Gate that want to sell but I don't want to have to kick the renters out as they have been good tenants and are elderly (even more so than me), plus I don't want to sell in a year that I have substantial income.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Congrats. I’m sure it’s bittersweet. Will be doing the same in <6 years.

Spudsbud

Reaction score

also checking into taxes it looks like I can avoid long term capital gains (15%) if household income is below 80k... so maybe selling it after I retire is the ticket.

death, taxes and earthquakes, which one will come first?

Congrats ! I retired 3 yrs ago with plans to sell and get out. Selling part is no problem..... finding a place to go to is a real issue. We're still here. Everything is 12 to 18 months away. Existing home sell in minutes.... as you know !
Good luck with your search.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Congratulations. That’s a great formula for retirement. Work hard, sell your CA house, pocket some scratch and move to a lower cost area. We did the same thing a few years ago.

nowski

Reaction score
Congrats!!!

Went on my first river rafting trip with Apollo Park back in the summer of 1973, I remember it like it was yesterday...

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Congrats!!!

Went on my first river rafting trip with Apollo Park back in the summer of 1973, I remember it like it was yesterday...
White water rafting? If so I bet it was with a group called ARTA (American River Touring Association). I canoed down the Russian river and white water rafted the Stanislaus and Tuolumne with that group. I was doing it right around that timeframe. Who knows, maybe you were on one of my trips.

Last edited:

nowski

Reaction score
White water rafting? If so I bet it was with a group called ARTA (American River Touring Association).
Not white water, just a trip down the lower Colorado that ended close to a dam near the border...

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Downey was an outstanding place to grow up. Went thru 12th grade there. Parents purchased the semi custom home, in a desirable part of town, for $18k in 1954, sold in 1970 for $36k. They were thrilled, they had doubled their money. Place still looks very nice and mostly as it was in 1970. Appears it's been well cared for. Current price estimate, $842k. 9345 Gotham St.
Just out of curiosity I looked up your parents house. It's actually the same floorplan as mine. We eliminated the breakfast nook in the front and added a den.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I looked up your parents house. It's actually the same floorplan as mine. We eliminated the breakfast nook in the front and added a den.
It was a comfortable floor plan. Our kitchen took up most of the east side of the house. I was surprised to see the backyard pool area has not changed at all since 1970. Knew that area well. It was my chore to maintain it. And I was glad to. Had many hours of fun in that pool/patio area.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
On Adoree st right by Rancho Los Amigos.
I was actually born in Downey and grew up on Alameda st. right down the street from North American Aviation. I moved around quite bit as a young adult but eventually found my way back to Downey and have been there for the last 23 Yrs.
Now it's retirement time and the Havasu house will be our permanent home.

I grew up on Comolette St behind Rancho Los Amigos. The same house my Mom grew up in too. It was an awesome place when I was a kid.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Congrats on your retirement. What do you think about renting a place in Havasu just to see if we'll see a correction in the economy? Seems like a great time to sell but I think the market is just about at the top. 2022 should be interesting.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I can recall seeing the Iron Lungs lined up by the windows of Rancho Los Amigos Hospital so their lung affected polio patients could look out the window. One of those kid type memories that seem to remain with you. And maybe that’s not a bad thing.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I grew up on Comolette St behind Rancho Los Amigos. The same house my Mom grew up in too. It was an awesome place when I was a kid.
Comolette is just the next street over or maybe it’s two. This one little block is a nice quite alcove of middle to upper middle class homes. It was a great area to raise my daughter.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
I can recall seeing the Iron Lungs lined up by the windows of Rancho Los Amigos Hospital so their lung affected polio patients could look out the window. One of those kid type memories that seem to remain with you. And maybe that’s not a bad thing.
Holy crap, Steve! That's going back!!

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I’m very familiar with Rancho, I used to own the Shell station on the corner of Old River and Imperial and I took care of a lot of the staff’s cars.

bonesfab

Reaction score
congrats. My mom grew up in Downey. Emory st. I believe. My grandma would give us money to go down to the corner market and get some snacks.