WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Solid Roller better idle?

BILL JULIANI

Reaction score
Would a solid roller of comparable .050 duration have a better idle than a hydraulic? I know the seat duration is usually shorter when comparing cmas, but some of that is the lash. The idea being I can run more.050 duration to make more power up top while still avoiding reversion.

86Howard

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody's chimed in on this.

I took the hydraulic roller lifters from the hydraulic roller cam and changed them to solids, it's called a hybrid roller.
You have to check with your cam manufacturer to see if first can be done with your cam, not always the case.
Already had a nasty idle, still has a nasty idle.
Not quite sure what you mean by will it have a idle better.

BILL JULIANI

Reaction score
Less reversion, more vacuum. Looking for ways to avoid reversion and still have the motor idle ~700 while having enough duration to keep the motor making torque up near 5000. I'm currently running a hydraulic roller with 224/228 114 at 2 advanced on my 6.2, AFR heads, Hardin exhaust and a Mercruiser Scorpion intake. Running Rhoads lifters and once warmed up it idles with 15 inches of vacuum, the cam and intake were good for another 300-400 RPM on top. Looking at lobe profiles and the solid's show much shorter seat duration for a given .050 duration than the hydraulic. I don't know if seat duration has as big of an effect on idle as .050 duration does. Also, the Rhoads work as advertised. So my thought was to add another 10 degrees or so with a solid profile that I can run the Rhoads on. I loaf around just on plane quite a bit on weekends and just blast it now and then. It may be that I've gone as far with modifications as practical while still keeping low speed manners.