Some good advice

rrrr

Reaction score

Don't lose the key to your gangbox. :rolleyes:

IMG_20210121_151415306.jpg

Joe mama

Reaction score
You mean you didn't use a "Universal" 2001 key 😁 Everybody has three of those 😂
I have lots of 2001 keys and no shit I always try that key in locks and surprised how often it works.

rrrr

Reaction score
I like combo locks, it’s way to difficult to pass the key thru the phone...

that sucks! So I take it the drill wasn’t in the gang box..... lol

I had to break out a real drill. No cordless has the same power as a good 'ol American made Milwaukee Hole Shooter. The name was coined in 1918 when the predecessor of Milwaukee Electric Tool Company built their first 1/4" drill.

Unfortunately, like many American firms, Milwaukee is now owned by a Chinese conglomerate. But as far as I can tell, their handheld power tools continue to be manufactured in the US.

I came across this website a few weeks ago. It lists manufacturers that still build their tools in the United States.

bocco

Reaction score
I had to break out a real drill. No cordless has the same power as a good 'ol American made Milwaukee Hole Shooter. The name was coined in 1918 when the predecessor of Milwaukee Electric Tool Company built their first 1/4" drill.

Unfortunately, like many American firms, Milwaukee is now owned by a Chinese conglomerate. But as far as I can tell, their handheld power tools continue to be manufactured in the US.

I came across this website a few weeks ago. It lists manufacturers that still build their tools in the United States.

That was a fun article to read. Makes you kind of feel good about old fashioned America still being alive and kicking. I have to admit that I always thought that Makita and Kubota were both Japanese companies.

Taboma

Reaction score

The tool created by the Devil to reek pain and suffering on humans ----- With the power of the Gods 🤕

Hole Hawg.JPG

rrrr

Reaction score
The tool created by the Devil to reek pain and suffering on humans ----- With the power of the Gods 🤕

View attachment 964958

Many years ago, I had hired an inexperienced kid as a helper, and one sunny morning I outlined a task for him. It required drilling ½" holes in the web of steel beam columns. The material was about ⅜" thick, and the holes were waist high. The drill was a big ol' ½" Milwaukee, with a 12" piece of ¾" pipe attached to the threaded boss in the drill body that was 180° opposite the handle.

You know how a drill bit will catch on steel of that thickness as it breaks through? He didn't.

What happened next was made worse by two things. He had tied the drill's power cord and the extension cord together in a knot. He had also, in contravention with how I had instructed him, engaged the trigger lock of the drill.

When the drill bit partially broke through the beam, it caught on the chip remaining in the hole. Before he could react, the drill hung up, and because the trigger lock was engaged, it did a few revolutions beating the hell outta his hands and arms. It got worse.

The drill bit snapped. The drill hit the deck, and after one bounce, the remainder of the bit rolled up his bellbottom pants leg and then the drill proceeded to visciously attack him. Every time the drill turned a rotation, the handle and the pipe extension battered his legs. Because he had locked the trigger and knotted the cord, the drill continued its assault.

I have to admit that during the mugging by power tool, I didn't jump to his assistance, because I was laughing so hard I couldn't move. The kid was desperately trying to get away from his demon, and despite his best efforts, it continued to follow him.

After what must have seemed an eternity to him, but was actually about five or ten seconds, the trigger lock disengaged, and the beating stopped. For the rest of the day, the victim's enthusiasm for work was noticeably reduced.

😁 😁

Taboma

Reaction score
Many years ago, I had hired an inexperienced kid as a helper, and one sunny morning I outlined a task for him. It required drilling ½" holes in the web of steel beam columns. The material was about ⅜" thick, and the holes were waist high. The drill was a big ol' ½" Milwaukee, with a 12" piece of ¾" pipe attached to the threaded boss in the drill body that was 180° opposite the handle.

You know how a drill bit will catch on steel of that thickness as it breaks through? He didn't.

What happened next was made worse by two things. He had tied the drill's power cord and the extension cord together in a knot. He had also, in contravention with how I had instructed him, engaged the trigger lock of the drill.

When the drill bit partially broke through the beam, it caught on the chip remaining in the hole. Before he could react, the drill hung up, and because the trigger lock was engaged, it did a few revolutions beating the hell outta his hands and arms. It got worse.

The drill bit snapped. The drill hit the deck, and after one bounce, the remainder of the bit rolled up his bellbottom pants leg and then the drill proceeded to visciously attack him. Every time the drill turned a rotation, the handle and the pipe extension battered his legs. Because he had locked the trigger and knotted the cord, the drill continued its assault.

I have to admit that during the mugging by power tool, I didn't jump to his assistance, because I was laughing so hard I couldn't move. The kid was desperately trying to get away from his demon, and despite his best efforts, it continued to follow him.

After what must have seemed an eternity to him, but was actually about five or ten seconds, the trigger lock disengaged, and the beating stopped. For the rest of the day, the victim's enthusiasm for work was noticeably reduced.

😁 😁

Oh god I feel so guilty for the laughing emoji, because not only can I picture your vivid description, I can feel it, because I've been there. 🤕

In my case it was a hole hawg as pictured, in it's chuck it firmly held a 4" hole saw, I was alone working on a new construction dental suite.
I made two mistakes that day, the result was, I was damned lucky to have survived.

Mistake # 1 --- couldn't find the factory extension handle with the covered grip. Made my own out of the end cut off a length of 3/4" GRC, it had nice shiny bald end.

Mistake # 2 ---- Hole sawing 2x6 fire block about chest high, first time I leaned over to check the progress of the 4" hole saw, it grabbed and kicked hard, but I was able to leverage and control it thanks to my trusty extension handle. Told myself "Self do NOT do that again, whew !!! "
Dumb-ass fuck, should have listened to myself, better.
2nd Time I leaned in, it grabbed hard, felt the bald handle end hit me in the head -- lights out.

Woke up hearing the voice of the job super, as I came to I soon realized I was laying in and covered with blood, my own. Then the EMT's showed up and I got a ride to the ER. That bald pipe end, when it hit me like a baseball bat, had split my head wide fuckin open. Amazingly, it didn't crack my skull or kill me.

That was the worst of many previous encounters with that macho machine, most were when drilling residentials ahead of the ropers, hanging on for dear life after the auger caught a nail or a plate. I knew what it was capable of, occasionally I guess some of us slow learners just need a bit more sense knocked into us. o_O

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yea, I have one of those machines also. Mine is yellow and black. The new ones come with a safety clutch. Just about the time its going to hurt you the clutch slips. I do wish it was adjustable because I would actually like it a little tighter.

rrrr

Reaction score
Oh god I feel so guilty for the laughing emoji, because not only can I picture your vivid description, I can feel it, because I've been there. 🤕

In my case it was a hole hawg as pictured, in it's chuck it firmly held a 4" hole saw, I was alone working on a new construction dental suite.
I made two mistakes that day, the result was, I was damned lucky to have survived.

Mistake # 1 --- couldn't find the factory extension handle with the covered grip. Made my own out of the end cut off a length of 3/4" GRC, it had nice shiny bald end.

Mistake # 2 ---- Hole sawing 2x6 fire block about chest high, first time I leaned over to check the progress of the 4" hole saw, it grabbed and kicked hard, but I was able to leverage and control it thanks to my trusty extension handle. Told myself "Self do NOT do that again, whew !!! "
Dumb-ass fuck, should have listened to myself, better.
2nd Time I leaned in, it grabbed hard, felt the bald handle end hit me in the head -- lights out.

Woke up hearing the voice of the job super, as I came to I soon realized I was laying in and covered with blood, my own. Then the EMT's showed up and I got a ride to the ER. That bald pipe end, when it hit me like a baseball bat, had split my head wide fuckin open. Amazingly, it didn't crack my skull or kill me.

That was the worst of many previous encounters with that macho machine, most were when drilling residentials ahead of the ropers, hanging on for dear life after the auger caught a nail or a plate. I knew what it was capable of, occasionally I guess some of us slow learners just need a bit more sense knocked into us. o_O

Those Hole Hawgs can twist a man into a pretzel when they hit a couple of 16d nails hidden in a double top plate. It's one of those power tools that command fear and respect.

😬🤕 😁

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Those are always fun drilling out some steel decking for inserts before the next floor pour. I figured out how to hold it between my legs and keep at least one handle tight to a leg so it didn't slap and bruise or break something. That was of course after iflt slapped and bruised the shit out of one of my legs.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

gottaminute?

Reaction score

😁 😁
I pulled one of those stunts in '79. I was a senior in high school and my last semester was working for my dad at his balancing shop. Imagine a tire balancer that would fit 8 ft diameter steel paddle wheel looking fans. A 30 hp motor driving thru a 4 speed gear box in low would turn the fan at about 150 rpm. Well, ONE time, I forgot to remove the ground lead from the outer edge of the fan after welding the weight on. About the time I gave the fan a good yank to start it moving then hitting the start button, I looked over and saw the old Lincoln tombstone welder on wheels headed my direction. Two revolutions eat up 50 feet of cable in a big hurry . I hit "stop" and got the hell out of the way.
Strange how I never did that again.:eek:

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Hole hogs will kick your ass. Often don’t have room for the pipe extension and usually on a ladder wiring new construction. More than once been shoved off the ladder. Older craftsman industrial 1/2 inch probably worse since it’s about 40% smaller so not much to hang onto but still torquey as hell.

Stii remember when I was a kid watching a husband on a tall ladder letting down a drill by its cord, of course handle up by cord and bit down. As she grabbed the drill by the the handle/ trigger backwards it engaged, the bit grabbed her sweatshirt and of course she pushed away which turned it faster wrapping her shirt tighter and tighter. Finally it got tight enough to pull it out of her hand. Holes in shirt small cuts and scrapes to her chest.