WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Some interesting thoughts from some friends of mine that don't post..

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Damn boaters are always thinking Dam. :rolleyes

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
And regarding class clowns... I shit you not, I think about what I could possibly say to make this line "sig" worthy with every post. How can I make it funnier? How can I possibly shock the unshockable...again. It is what drives me. And then I hit refresh for about an hour to see if anyone did.. ;)

You got my sig! :thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Embrace it Dave... other forums are lucky to get the five posts...

And regarding class clowns... I shit you not, I think about what I could possibly say to make this line "sig" worthy with every post. How can I make it funnier? How can I possibly shock the unshockable...again. It is what drives me. And then I hit refresh for about an hour to see if anyone did.. ;)

DCB posting... no... let me back up. Much worse... YOU posting for DCB that they are offering boat driving lessons almost sounds like a gag thread. Seriously. Hemmingson can come on here and post for himself if he wants, but he won't... and for damn good reason I might add. I don't think he is up to it from a social networking standpoint. I like Dave, and like his boats... but his hair would catch fire in three posts if he had posted that... and I would have been the one lighting the match more than likely.

Just think of the inherent humor in that. No discussion of fixing a problem, or "in response to recent events" or whatever... just "Hey everyone! DCB is setting new standards for boating safety... immediately after setting new standards for boating buffoonery"

Too soon Dave... and you should have known. I'm surprised it lasted five posts.

I take it back... I wouldn't have lit the match, and the reason I wouldn't have is that I respect what you are doing, and I respect what Dave is doing, but I would have immediately called both Daves and said... "Dude... rethink that post before you get keelhauled..."

This place is all about context... and memory.

The best comedies all have something in common. The two examples sticking out in particular are Fawlty Towers and Seinfeld. They build from an initial funny thing the entire show and by the end, the first thing that was funny has peaked into something absolutely hilarious and absurd. Whether or not it is a simple miscommunication initially, or a lie gone bad or whatever, by the time the show has crafted it into a joke it is already great... by the end, when the joke has unwound a bunch of the events it is hilarious... Walking in at the end of one of these shows and seeing everyone laughing at what appears to be an "ok" joke is always interesting. It is only really hilarious if you saw where it started.

We do that here. This place is like a great comedy with about 15 or 20 talented writers all putting their stank on it. It is impossible to state how much more I enjoy the burns than the content. I love seeing someone walk into something, in a truly slapstick way. Of course the bullshit "Check your PM's" and whatever gets old.... but that doesn't make it less funny. It's like yelling "Freebird" at a concert. It isn't funny... but everyone laughs... including the artist usually.

The more threads you read, the more of the "Bnag" "nape" and "You don't live far enough away" jokes you are gonna get. I love that. I love that newbies don't get it yet. How could they? The joke is 10 years old!

Robin Williams once described that telling a joke that made almost everyone laugh is easy. Pie in the face does that. But the Zen Nirvana of comedy is to tell a joke that only one person laughs at in the room... but they are dying.

Holy shit, post of the fucking year...

:bowdown:

(and yeah, im gonna dig a sig line outa here, just give me a couple of minutes...)

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Holy shit, post of the fucking year...

:bowdown:

(and yeah, im gonna dig a sig line outa here, just give me a couple of minutes...)

Yep Froggy gets it.

My thoughts are those that lurk feel they have nothing to contribute. Fact is you don't have to be funny to post here. We're all suckers for a good story.

This is the lounge anyway and if you have an Outdrive Question take it to that section. If you have a sail bote question then go fuck yourself.

:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Yep Froggy gets it.

My thoughts are those that lurk feel they have nothing to contribute. Fact is you don't have to be funny to post here. We're all suckers for a good story.

This is the lounge anyway and if you have an Outdrive Question take it to that section. If you have a sail bote question then go fuck yourself.

:D

LOL Poor Yellowboat

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
Froggystyle said:
But the Zen Nirvana of comedy is to tell a joke that only one person laughs at in the room... but they are dying.

Agreed.
Earlier in this thread, Hammy was getting beat up/defensive, and his post ended with. "...right?"
It was such a Pokey mock (in a light hearted way), I was laughing my ass off.
I'm not even sure if hammy realized it when he typed it out.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score

Attachments

• yellowboat.jpg
    yellowboat.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 24

Hammer

Reaction score
Agreed.
Earlier in this thread, Hammy was getting beat up/defensive, and his post ended with. "...right?"
It was such a Pokey mock (in a light hearted way), I was laughing my ass off.
I'm not even sure if hammy realized it when he typed it out.

Clueless . I was Just trying to fit in . :D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Robin Williams once described that telling a joke that made almost everyone laugh is easy. Pie in the face does that. But the Zen Nirvana of comedy is to tell a joke that only one person laughs at in the room... but they are dying.

I enjoy light hearted banter as much as the next guy but, every so often, it's vital to take the comedy submarine down to crush depth.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Who's ate all the potato salad?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
You are 100% right.. and then when you say it and crush their dreams they'll try to mutiny and take all their buddies with them to some other website.. But then their buddies won't leave, and they'll give you some bullshit that they are back because of the relationships that they have here, but you're a POS for slapping their hand, and if it wasn't for them helping to build the place it would have never even got off the ground.. completely sidestepping the fact that it was already built when they got here, and they still aren't... funny.. :D

Be strong, Dave. Start cracking skulls. It's the only way to keep people in their place.

This whole deal is unfathomable to me. HB melted down, started cracking skulls, and died. You scooped most of that traffic.

Not long after that, PB came online. PB is a good group of people. I know there are some hard feelings and some things that should not have happened but that site was larger than RDP for quite a while. Over time, they became more aggressive with their moderation and controlling the mood. Now they are smaller than RDP.

How many times does this have to happen before we see the pattern? Kicking ass is a great way to turn a big site into a small site.

Over the years, you've done some moderating, banning, thrown some tantrums, and made some changes. You've done a solid job. The forum is busy, healthy, and happy. It's yours to lose, Dave.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
aRDy....you said you got texts from some influencial people who are smart....

Have they ever developed a forum and kept it going? The web savvy people are a younger generation that have been able to tell the older generation to fuck off while getting wealthy. Perhaps you should bend their ears and (like you've done in the past) tell them how internet communities work. just reference hb and pb as past and current failures. If you want a stiff corporate site that is successful, then it has to start that way. Trying to take something that has a life of its own and thinking removing a few bad actors from the mix combined with "new rules" is the best way to jump the shark.

Just tell these "smart" people to stop being so negative and feel free to join you in the 21st century.

Just like you trying to get us out of the lounge to the rest of your site....it is like you are a liberal politician trying to get me out of my car and take the train. We know that there is more to the site...we just are not all that interested. If you try to force feed tofu to a bunch of sharks...plan on them looking for the closest thing to meat they can get their teeth into....which will probably be your hand....and it will be delicious!

tapa-typed from my mobile gadget

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
You know Dave, I wonder how many of the people who are calling for a hard line voiced the same opinion to other sites which are now shells of their former selves? ... and I wonder if those same people will move onto the next big site after RDP eventually adopts a hard line and start preaching the same shit that has never worked?

Director...
Reaction score
You know Dave, I wonder how many of the people who are calling for a hard line voiced the same opinion to other sites which are now shells of their former selves? ... and I wonder if those same people will move onto the next big site after RDP eventually adopts a hard line and start preaching the same shit that has never worked?

You really shouldn't give away our site's plan that way Tom.....Have you been drinking again..?

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
What a whole lot of nothing. 29 pages so far to be exact.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
What a whole lot of nothing. 29 pages so far to be exact.

Actually it's some interesting thoughts from some of RD's friends that do post;) this place is like a mullet, business on top and party in the back:D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
You really shouldn't give away our site's plan that way Tom.....Have you been drinking again..?

What are you talking about? Our site has no rules. We even allow politics anywhere on the site.

Of course, nobody uses the site. Maybe if we take a harder line, people will come?

Director...
Reaction score
Tom...Dave is tired of the constant disrespect yo...and He has hired a new moderator...named....Cyrus

[video=youtube;bo596TSEoW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo596TSEoW0[/video]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
aRDy....you said you got texts from some influencial people who are smart....

Have they ever developed a forum and kept it going? The web savvy people are a younger generation that have been able to tell the older generation to fuck off while getting wealthy. Perhaps you should bend their ears and (like you've done in the past) tell them how internet communities work. just reference hb and pb as past and current failures. If you want a stiff corporate site that is successful, then it has to start that way. Trying to take something that has a life of its own and thinking removing a few bad actors from the mix combined with "new rules" is the best way to jump the shark.

Just tell these "smart" people to stop being so negative and feel free to join you in the 21st century.

Just like you trying to get us out of the lounge to the rest of your site....it is like you are a liberal politician trying to get me out of my car and take the train. We know that there is more to the site...we just are not all that interested. If you try to force feed tofu to a bunch of sharks...plan on them looking for the closest thing to meat they can get their teeth into....which will probably be your hand....and it will be delicious!

tapa-typed from my mobile gadget

Buller?