Some Monday Billet Pics

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Lay out the plate for roughing
1.jpg

Square up and surface the blanks, fixture, drill and eccentric bore
2.jpg

Fixture and Cut the transom angle (Used a 2 Flute end mill, not that rougher)
3.jpg

Dykem and split the parts on the bandsaw
4.jpg

Fixture on the rotary table and cut the outer profile
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_153650.jpg
    IMG_20180521_153650.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 230

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
I was with the owner this weekend... if you finish he will have nothing to complain about. These retirees need to relax, it’s not like he will ever put the A2 in the water once you’re done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I was with the owner this weekend... if you finish he will have nothing to complain about. These retirees need to relax, it’s not like he will ever put the A2 in the water once you’re done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tell him he needs to get back up here and turn some handles :D

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You make it look like child's play ...

So much set up work there!

As wsuwrhr will surely agree, a little investment in time up front for the setup pays massive dividends in how easy and accurate the machining goes further down the chain of steps.

As hard as it is to believe, the final profiling on the rotary table is the fastest part of the whole job, takes probably 5 mins per part to dial indicate, clamp, and cut. My favorite part as well, you gotta be quick on the handles as you can't let the cutter linger when taking the full 1.5" from the side. It's pretty cool to watch as you have to feed along the first straight and stop dead nuts on you 0.000" point on the DRO then immediately start your rotation of the rotary table, which then you have to stop dead nuts on your degree number and immediately feed the table out the other straight edge of the part.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
As wsuwrhr will surely agree, a little investment in time up front for the setup pays massive dividends in how easy and accurate the machining goes further down the chain of steps.

As hard as it is to believe, the final profiling on the rotary table is the fastest part of the whole job, takes probably 5 mins per part to dial indicate, clamp, and cut. My favorite part as well, you gotta be quick on the handles as you can't let the cutter linger when taking the full 1.5" from the side. It's pretty cool to watch as you have to feed along the first straight and stop dead nuts on you 0.000" point on the DRO then immediately start your rotation of the rotary table, which then you have to stop dead nuts on your degree number and immediately feed the table out the other straight edge of the part.

The confusion I get from reading this assures me of the knowledge (and skill) you have of what you're doing.:D I would love to know how to do this one day but I'll probably never learn and have to be content with my knowledge of woodwork and how to make 100's of good quality cabinets each week. Still though, my hats off to you, nice work!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The confusion I get from reading this assures me of the knowledge (and skill) you have of what you're doing.:D I would love to know how to do this one day but I'll probably never learn and have to be content with my knowledge of woodwork and how to make 100's of good quality cabinets each week. Still though, my hats off to you, nice work!

I will try to make a little video to show you guys.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

A little investment? So modest you are.

That is some really nice work.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Thank you for the video. I never thought of using a round bar in the collet to "locate" the front surface.
Great tip. I always indicate everything so each part takes forever. I get nervous running toward the end of a run before having to hand crank my rotary to the exact degree and then hit the power feed to continue...
I'm slow, and meticulous, so my stuff turns out pretty neat...