WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Some of you might find this interesting. Pool Renovation.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
The freak in me loves everything about this tile but I'm afraid the wife is right again and we will go with #1. Not to mention #1 is a ceramic tile and not glass.
IMG_6810.jpg

Javajoe

Reaction score
The freak in me loves everything about this tile but I'm afraid the wife is right again and we will go with #1. Not to mention #1 is a ceramic tile and not glass.
View attachment 985913
My SIL just installed a bunch of that on his raised pool wall. He hates it. Looks gaudy.
#1 is nice
Must be nice not having the hardest water on earth like Riverside does

GRADS

Reaction score
My SIL just installed a bunch of that on his raised pool wall. He hates it. Looks gaudy.
#1 is nice
Must be nice not having the hardest water on earth like Riverside does
Gaudy was exactly my concern.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
I did glass in Havasu, it was beautiful for about 2 years. It was really difficult to keep clean and had it all replaced. I love the look, but in Havasu the glass is too soft and too difficult to keep clean.

GRADS

Reaction score
A pic of the spa and yard when we moved in 21 years ago...did a light remodel a couple months later thinking we would stay a tops of 3 years... 😂

IMG_6843.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
I did glass in Havasu, it was beautiful for about 2 years. It was really difficult to keep clean and had it all replaced. I love the look, but in Havasu the glass is too soft and too difficult to keep clean.
My tile guy said he will install glass tile with no warranty....I hope he was kidding.🤔

DB / HAV

Reaction score
My tile guy said he will install glass tile with no warranty....I hope he was kidding.🤔
Probably not kidding, it is difficult to install and in my case looked horrible too quickly. If you like the look of ceramic, it will save you a lot of headaches later on. It cost me 9K to demo and replace the glass with ceramic.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
#2 is flashy and will tire of it sooner.
#1 is timeless and simple.
#4 is timeless as well but with a touch of pizzazz.
#3 makes me wanna puke.
1 or 4 are the sensible choices, 1 being perhaps easier to maintain longevity over 4 but 4 offers just a bit of color variation.
What type of decking you planning on? Travertine?
Since you have good water up there would something like this stone tile style for waterline complement or contrast nicely? Tons of color options with these while still being real stone.
Screenshot_20210326-103032_Chrome.jpg

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Definitely #1 Greg. It will go well with landscaping and furniture even if you change those out down the road.
Good luck.

RaceTec

Reaction score
We did a darker tile with a glass highlight every few feet, really loved that pool! The glass added nice color to break it up...
IMG_0023.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 236

Tom Slick

Reaction score
#1 for sure.

I'd recommend staying away from abalone shell in the pebble. It looks good at first but fades over time and will just look like white specks.

Remodels are fun. It's neat bringing an old eye sore back to life. This will be a fun thread to follow.

GRADS

Reaction score
Check out this gem I uncovered today. This is the junction box for the light. The light conduit is fine but the electric to it was run in metal...one of the skimmers that was leaking is near by and essentially rusted out the pipe completely to where it is nonexistent and the wires are left in the ground.😱
F7AF8B81-A60B-4A36-A32E-79C847340C74.jpeg

4F3A3648-C974-4D00-82B9-BB55593AA165.jpeg

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Check out this gem I uncovered today. This is the junction box for the light. The light conduit is fine but the electric to it was run in metal...one of the skimmers that was leaking when I moved in is near by and essential rusted out the pipe completely to where it is nonexistent and the wires are left in the ground.😱
View attachment 986196

View attachment 986194
All my pool electrical was run in EMT as well, it was fully rusted out 15 years ago and I re-did it all in gray pvc new wires and all. My pool was built in '78 or '79

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
View attachment 985913
It would be nice to find an example picture of a whole pool down in that I kind a like it myself, trying to pick colors in such small quantities is difficult.

GRADS

Reaction score
It would be nice to find an example picture of a whole pool down in that I kind a like it myself, trying to pick colors in such small quantities is difficult.
Here's the best pic I could find...It also has a gray strip of tile as you can see. This has white grout where I will have dark grout because of the dark plaster.
h_8888_ps_boyntonb_fl_071718.jpg

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Here's the best pic I could find...It also has a gray strip of tile as you can see.
View attachment 986212
Might be too much of a good thing on a raised bond beam section like that. I kind of like it but, the Gawdy theme does come in to play.

This is what I don’t like about picking colors for boats. I know what I like when I see it, I just don’t know how to get there.🙁

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
We did a darker tile with a glass highlight every few feet, really loved that pool! The glass added nice color to break it up...
View attachment 986115
Glad you loved, remember when I got lifetime sponsorship from racetec for all the hook ups? Let Nick at hustler know you got me, putting down next week on a twin turbo set up for new rail 😁
Check out this gem I uncovered today. This is the junction box for the light. The light conduit is fine but the electric to it was run in metal...one of the skimmers that was leaking is near by and essentially rusted out the pipe completely to where it is nonexistent and the wires are left in the ground.😱
View attachment 986196

That’s very common, even with out skimmer leaks. Old Pools red brass from lights will outlive our lifetimes. But the emt feeding those boxes turn to dust or slivers of what once was conduit. And even better when over the years bond wires get chopped. Can pools be dangerous, ummmm can a bathtub be dangerous holding a toaster 😂

GRADS

Reaction score
Current situation. All new electric, including light conduits. Drains in. Raised bond beams on the left side of the pool, back of pool and ends of spa gone, retaining wall gone. You can see my wife, dog and chairs to see how big the pool really is.

On a side note, I did all the electric myself which is the most I've done since having my strokes. Felt good but I'm whooped.

BDAB2934-1520-4E68-84FA-0596DABEB5D2.jpeg

Last edited:

GRADS

Reaction score
Opinion time again...So there were raised areas in the pool that were shot in gunite as I've high lighted. I removed them because they were just weird , but for some reason the raised area on the back of the pool was just two courses of bricks. I was going to steel it and shoot it again but now I'm thinking of leaving it all one level except for the spa. Thoughts?

IMG_6864.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Current situation. All new electric, including light conduits. Drains in. Raised bond beams on the left side of the pool, back of pool and ends of spa gone, retaining wall gone. Original plan was to re-shoot the raised area behind the pool but we are keeping it one level now. You can see my wife, dog and chairs to see how big the pool really is.

On a side note, I did all the electric myself which is the most I've done since having my strokes. Felt good but I'm whooped.

View attachment 986644
Damn them conduits are shallow....😲🤣

GRADS

Reaction score
Some progress pics...forming and steeling the wall tomorrow. Should be ready for gunite by this weekend. There’s a lot of things we are uncovering that you can’t see that are eating up time and money.
2A04063A-784B-4652-BE3E-F004AC3CC40D.jpeg

634332AD-DCFE-4584-A082-3D1198D23EC7.jpeg

6BFFDF5F-24D6-402C-B28E-3C422CBC9055.jpeg

GRADS

Reaction score
A few updated pics. It might not look like a whole lot was done but it’s what you can’t see....skimmers, autofill, new electric, new plumbing lines, and new drainage. The wall is formed and steeled. We are now ready for gunite. I don’t know if you can tell from the pics but it’s a pretty big pool, well over 650 sq. ft.
060A9B07-2782-4F49-8F32-012F8A0C8A7D.jpeg

D8DE5E85-D23D-4CA4-81A4-E9179B61230E.jpeg

CB843629-4046-48EE-AAD6-6A5DDA9ABD4F.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I would ask a pool guy how well glass holds up to mineral deposits and blasting to remove said deposits. Choosing tile was our hardest decision. I took a long board and nailed all the sample boards in a line on it and hung it where my tile goes then we stood back and looked. Still tough decision

Ya know...

Before I learned about water balance, I had mineral deposits all over my tile.

Once I got the water ballenced Properly, all those deposits just melted away.

Proper water ballence is the key to a good looking pool. 👍

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
A few updated pics. It might not look like a whole lot was done but it’s what you can’t see....skimmers, autofill, new electric, new plumbing lines, and new drainage. The wall is formed and steeled. We are now ready for gunite. I don’t know if you can tell from the pics but it’s a pretty big pool, well over 650 sq. ft.
View attachment 989454
View attachment 989455
View attachment 989456
Maybe I missed it in the thread but what is the purpose of the steel scabbed onto the wall?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Ya know...

Before I learned about water balance, I had mineral deposits all over my tile.

Once I got the water ballenced Properly, all those deposits just melted away.

Proper water ballence is the key to a good looking pool. 👍
Truth. 👍
The water in Havasu sucks and no matter how closely we monitored the balance it still left a white bathtub ring...
So I plumbed in a very simple 5 micron drinking water filter into the auto-fill line just to help remove some solids which has made a big difference. I even added a hose bib on the filter so I can refill pool with it.
Visually the water was way cleaner and sparkly looking, a benefit that even my pool guy noticed immediately.

GRADS

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it in the thread but what is the purpose of the steel scabbed onto the wall?
That is where we are shooting gunite. Since it's an after the fact deal we want to make sure it adheres or doesn't move independently of the shell.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That is where we are shooting gunite. Since it's an after the fact deal we want to make sure it adheres or doesn't move independently of the shell.
Lol, that part I understand. Curious why you're adding gunite. Change pool shape, add rigidity or ??

GRADS

Reaction score
Lol, that part I understand. Curious why you're adding gunite. Change pool shape, add rigidity or ??
Quite a few reasons.... We are squaring off a corner, adding a Cabo shelf, shooting the dam wall thicker and also we found some weak spots in the pool that need to be redone.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Quite a few reasons.... We are squaring off a corner, adding a Cabo shelf, shooting the dam wall thicker and also we found some weak spots in the pool that need to be redone.
So reshaping that area near the bench, gotcha👍

Dalton

Reaction score
I assume this is all union work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk