WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Some pretty awesome (sail)Boating and woodworking Content

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Found a couple of really great channels on YouTube of guys building wooden sailboats from scratch. Pretty incredible talent, and good for a winter binge watch.

This guy from the UK rebuilding basically board by board a 110 year old Albert Strange Pilot Cutter up in Sequim Washington.

Sampson Boat Co:

And a couple of non sailing guys that decide to build a boat from scratch, falling their own trees from the family land back in Massachusetts

Acorn to Arabella:

Absolutely incredible craftsmanship to be seen here.

sirbob

Reaction score
A friend just finish rebuilding a wooden boat from Italy a year or two ago.

He made a video every time he went to the shipyard.

It's kind of a fun way to learn about how much work goes into a rebuild of a wooden boat.

C08H18

Reaction score
IMG_1811.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1817.jpg

I've been watching this rebuild for 30 yrs now. It should be in the Tahoe boat show in another year or two.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Watch “sail life” on you tube. The guy is awesome. He kind of learns as he goes but he studies and studies and has really become a craftsman over the years. Not afraid to tackle anything. Completely redoing a sailboat

C08H18

Reaction score
You have any info to share on it, looks awesome!

This is a ~1952 30' Hacker, custom built for the original owner who loved '47 Cadillacs. Hacker used a '47 Caddy for the dash in that boat, and the restoration was done with the same vintage dash. I first saw this boat around 1987. The frame was intact, the deck was missing, a lot of mechanicals laying in the hull, and a lot of the hull was rotten. It was owned by Don Curtis, a craftsman in Benicia CA that built and restored old wood boats in the Benicia Armory buildings along the waterfront. I was visiting my father-in-law at the time who was having Don built a wood rowing boat to gift to his then wife. I have visited Don's shop every year since 1987. My wife passed away a few yrs ago and I ended up remarried to a gal living in Benicia and connected with Don. He still restores these old boats and is close to finishing this boat. Coincidentally, my neighbor in Benicia did the mechanicals on this boat! It's my understanding that the Rolls Royce motor came from tank reserves.

C08H18

Reaction score
I would really like to find a wood decked flatbottom to pass along to Don for a total refurb. Please PM if you have something.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Admirable trait to have the patience and time dedication to work on these deals from beginning to end.

I have neither unfortunately.......:D

Greatwrk and interesting

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Groote Beer. Was on this boat back in the 90's while it was still in the U.S. Built during WW II , the workmanship is unbelievable. Hermann Goering claimed ownership to it but, later that was proven not to be true.

Groot Beer.jpg

oldschool

Reaction score
I don’t have the time, money, patience or skill for something like that, well mostly the money or skill. Some incredible work.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I don’t have the time, money, patience or skill for something like that, well mostly the money or skill. Some incredible work.

The money adds up quick, Leo of Sampson Boat co dropped about 70-80k in just wood alone if you watch through his videos. 10k here, 30k there, over several purchases for different sections of the boat from the keel to frames to planking.

Definitely takes a dedicated individual

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Groote Beer. Was on this boat back in the 90's while it was still in the U.S. Built during WW II , the workmanship is unbelievable. Hermann Goering claimed ownership to it but, later that was proven not to be true.

View attachment 832821
The fine Pussy that fine Vessel could pull around the canals of Amsterdam makes it worth any price........;)

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Damn you Racey. You wasted days of my time. Just finished every video of the Tally Ho. I have zero interest in sailing but Leo is amazing in his details and explanations. Makes me want to build one just because. Bummed that I’m all caught up.