WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Someone's Pet?????

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Anybody know what this big old lizard is??? It was walking across our deck a little while ago. We're in Havasu.
IMG-2014.jpg
IMG-2015.jpg
IMG-2016.jpg
IMG-2017.jpg
IMG-2014.jpg IMG-2015.jpg IMG-2016.jpg IMG-2017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score
Iguana, RD used to have one as a pet, I did to about 45 years ago. Although mine was green and RD's probably was too. I've seen brown ones in Florida.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Looks like an iguana, probably someone’s pet put some water out for it. And maybe some lettuce I think they’re herbivores.

This is a desert lizard.😊
B5E29736-BF69-4938-BF7B-61DC9D7E3442.jpeg
086DB02C-865D-4CBE-8161-B213D2742DFF.jpeg

FishSniper

Reaction score
Iguana. Depending on where you are could be a pet. I found one in a tree in Anaheim one time and had it for quite awhile before it passed.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Damn things are everywhere in the Keys. Falling out of trees as you walk down the street; it's hilarious.

0924150910.jpg

0923151159.jpg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
AZ Chuckwalla? Native to this area, not a pet, believe they are not harmful to humans. They're in the Iguana family.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
AZ Chuckwalla? Native to this area, not a pet, believe they are not harmful to humans. They're in the Iguana family.
The pictures I posted in post number eight are of a Chuckawalla that I saw on my dog walk in the desert. I’m pretty sure that other is an iguana. But I’m no lizard expert.🤗

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It’s an iguana and someone’s pet that escaped. Put water out for it and various lettuces etc ice berg lettuce doesn’t have any nutritional value but can offer some hydration.

I’m surprised Taboma knows I used to have one.. thst was a long time ago..

Taboma

Reaction score
It’s an iguana and someone’s pet that escaped. Put water out for it and various lettuces etc ice berg lettuce doesn’t have any nutritional value but can offer some hydration.

I’m surprised Taboma knows I used to have one.. thst was a long time ago..

I only know because you mentioned it in a post and my buddy and I had two for pets when we were roomies.

boatdoc55

Reaction score
He's back!!! I just gave him or her some romain lettuce and a few pieces of ham. It gobbled them up. Do they swim? It's right next to the pool steps, I don't know if he was in it or not. What Now????????? IMG_2834.JPG IMG_2835.JPG IMG_2836.JPG

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
He's back!!! I just gave him or her some romain lettuce and a few pieces of ham. It gobbled them up. Do they swim? It's right next to the pool steps, I don't know if he was in it or not. What Now?????????
Bring it inside, he adopted you.

Nordie

Reaction score

boatdoc55

Reaction score
I would say try to catch it and make it a pet, or get it a home, otherwise it's not going to survive the environment.
whatcha talkin bout Willis!!!!!!!!!!!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I don’t think it would survive boatdoc’s cat...

Taboma

Reaction score
He's back!!! I just gave him or her some romain lettuce and a few pieces of ham. It gobbled them up. Do they swim? It's right next to the pool steps, I don't know if he was in it or not. What Now????????? View attachment 1009131 View attachment 1009132 View attachment 1009133

For sure somebody's pet. Yes they swim, ours used to love swimming around in warm tub water. But, it's going to need a way to get out of the water, it can't swim indefinitely.
Ours used to also love to go out and run through the lawn sprinklers when it was warm out. Then one day the big one climbed up some lady's front window screen, he was almost the length of the window and she was sitting there with her back turned watching TV --- I run up and I'm trying to gently pry him off the screen before she turned around and suffered a friggin heart attack. :eek:
When frightened or in danger, then can react by becoming completely motionless and remain like that for a long time --- that was fun when we had parties and we'd convince some gal he was stuffed, not real. Until she touched it and it jumped 5', ha ha ha
The other defense mechanism is a powerful whipping action with it's tail, they can hit you pretty hard.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
He has no business being out there I'd find a reptile dude to come get him. I bet he's not to happy with the dry hot days and cold desert night's.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Just for shits and giggles you could call the Humane Society and ask if anybody reported a missing iguana. 🤷‍♀️

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Iguana, RD used to have one as a pet, I did to about 45 years ago. Although mine was green and RD's probably was too. I've seen brown ones in Florida.
When I was in Tulum Mexico the Iguanas 🦎 were Black blending into the stones on the Mayan Ruins. They ones in the Jungle adjacent were Green. I’m guessing they are kinda like Chamelions as they will eventually blend into there environment?

Taboma

Reaction score
When I was in Tulum Mexico the Iguanas 🦎 were Black blending into the stones on the Mayan Ruins. They ones in the Jungle adjacent were Green. I’m guessing they are kinda like Chamelions as they will eventually blend into there environment?

Seems they're prone to color changes due to age, mating season, environmental, temperature and sun exposure. I've seen them in various tropical locations as well, them getting cold and dropping out of trees in Florida was really bizarre.

Kenny D

Reaction score
In Southwest Florida they are trapped and killed.....they burrow and ruin seawalls and can leave salmonella in your pool. They are not indigenous to Southwest Florida and are becoming a problem like pythons in the Everglades.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
A friend of mine has one that is 5ft long. He's an angry old cuss to anyone except her. Fucking mean assed tail whip.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ltbaney1

Reaction score
A friend of mine has one that is 5ft long. He's an angry old cuss to anyone except her. Fucking mean assed tail whip.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
same, friend had one. that bastard was damn near 5' and hated anyone but him. he had a whole room in his house set up for him. cool to watch but i got hit by the tail once on my forearm and it hurt like hell.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think it's camera shy. That 3rd pic it opened it's mouth and hissed!!! Fuck that!! I need beaverretriever's wife here stat!!!!

put a dish of water out.. he’s just telling you he’s thirsty. When I used to bring mine to the river, when it was hot out he would open his mouth abd make hissing sounds like that.. never did it in San Diego.

If he’s trying to tell you he’s the boss he will drop his neck flap and bounce his head up and down at you.. lol.

If you hand feed him for awhile you will be surprised at how docile they become and how quickly it happens.. Ultimately they are a lizard so I wouldn’t say they have affection for you.. but if they get used to you, they are pretty loyal. Hell mine wanted to sleep on me when I was younger.. lol.

Last edited:

boatdoc55

Reaction score
put a dish of water out.. he’s just telling you he’s thirsty. When I used to bring mine to the river, when it was hot out he would open his mouth abd make hissing sounds like that.. never did it in San Diego.

If he’s trying to tell you he’s the boss he will drop his neck flap and bounce his head up and down at you.. lol.

If you hand feed him for awhile you will be surprised at how docile they become and how quickly it happens.. Ultimately they are a lizard so I wouldn’t say they have affection for you.. but if they get used to you, they are pretty loyal. Hell mine wanted to sleep on me when I was younger.. lol.
Ain't going to happen RD. Since you have past experience with these things, don't your kids need a new pet???

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Put a stick in the pool so he can climb in and out and keep feeding him. You’ll have a friend for life.😊 it looks like it’s eyeballing the pool and wants to cool off. 🦎🐊

Yeah, get one and zip tie it to your filler spout and see if it was it wants to swim. Then post up the results. 👍

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Yeah, get one and zip tie it to your filler spout and see if it was it wants to swim. Then post up the results. 👍
I don’t know whether they swim or not but I would imagine he’s thirsty.😂🦎

boatdoc55

Reaction score
I don’t know whether they swim or not but I would imagine he’s thirsty.😂🦎
Wife's got 3 or 4 bird baths and a fountain out by the pool. If it's thirsty it's it's own damn fault. Oh Ya, the cement pond is out there also,

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Wife's got 3 or 4 bird baths and a fountain out by the pool. If it's thirsty it's it's own damn fault. Oh Ya, the cement pond is out there also,

Didn’t know about the birdbath I just thought it was funny that he was looking longingly at the pool by the entrance when you took the picture. 😂

I’d come over and get it and let it chill at my house except my dogs would kill it.
Like I said earlier call the Humane Society maybe they’ll send out an iguana wrangler.😂

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I'd be online researching what they eat as well as what RDP has told you..... man that'd be a cool addition out by the pool if he hangs around. I second the idea of contacting local animal rescue folks and let them give you some over the phone feedback and also inquire if anyone's pet reported missing. That'd be my first move. I doubt anybody puts chips in these motherfuckers lol!

Tank

Reaction score
In Southwest Florida they are trapped and killed.....they burrow and ruin seawalls and can leave salmonella in your pool. They are not indigenous to Southwest Florida and are becoming a problem like pythons in the Everglades.
Huge problem in S Florida. They are not indigenous and have no predators. They're freaking EVERYWHERE. As a frequent visitor I like to see them but I'm guessing they'd get old if you lived there.

This big focker was just cruising past everyone during the poker run out front of The Conch Republic Restaurant a few years ago. He was chillin the most and could give two fucks about everyone else.

5.jpg