WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Something Attacked My Dog Last Night

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Been living here over 20 years and this is a first. Dogs were agitated and wanted out last night. Not uncommon and they are usually barking at planes, squirrels, etc. They take off up the hill towards the shop and came back 5-10 minutes later. My shepherd knows how to open the door and let themselves in. If I could only get her to learn to close the damn door,,,, Ruger goes over and lays down by the wood stove and I didn't notice until he comes over kinda whining a few minutes later. Not sure wtf he came face to face with but little dog may have some scars from this. Only marks on his his face. Makes me think it wasn't a cat, but I really have no idea? Random stray or lost dog maybe? Glad he's ok, but damn,,, wtf is out in the woods?

IMG_6030.jpg

Last edited:

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Hope he heals up quick. Raccoon, bobcat or badger would be my guess.

We've had a bear lurking lately. Bears don't scare me much. They just run, but it looks like little man ran right into something that wasn't backing down.

endobear

Reaction score
I'd guess a raccoon or yote. My dogs will chase and or tree bears but won't get to close. They have zero fear of coons and yotes though.
Coons can be vicious little basturds.
Years ago my 1st Rottweiler treed a coon that had been terrorizing my trash cans. She kept it treed for at least 5 days never wanting to come inside. We finally made her come in and he took off. Never came back again.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
To be fair I haven't seen a raccoon or opossum around here in years. Not saying they aren't here, but I've been told by fish and game that a disease went through our area and kinda took it's toll. Definitely teeth marks under his eye.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I had 75# pit/Dalmatian mix that killed raccoons, snakes, cats, birds, squirrels, armadillos, and so on, only blood he ever had was from them. My backyard was on a big creek and that thing never ran out of victims. My vet always asked if he’s still killing raccoons. Always said he was just good cause raccoons can mess a dog up. Usually took about 1-2 seconds and it was over, he would grab them, shake them and break them.

RIP Kaiser, cancer got him at 12.

4FFD28FB-C629-4C58-BC63-5AF45BA1F568.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about it being a Racoon, unless the dog led with his face. When I was a teen I watched two adult Coons shred the legs off a large German Shepard that made a move towards their two babies. Those two coons never bothered to look up, then went right for the ankles and hit him like a chain saw, one on each end, it was a brutal slaughter, that lasted maybe 15 seconds.
No sooner had the two coon incapacitated the dog, they gathered up their youngins and strutted off like nothing had happened.
As they departed one of the adults actually came up and bumped noses with our Siamese cat who was standing there with me watching.
A cat is far more inclined to leap and go for the face.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Bobcat? We've got a few roaming around the green space behind our yard. Always careful when letting the dogs out as I don't want that vet bill.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Bobcat? We've got a few roaming around the green space behind our yard. Always careful when letting the dogs out as I don't want that vet bill.

I feel if it was a bobcat he would have claw marks too. We have em for sure. Had a large one about his size hunting the place for about a year. Chickens, peacocks and one of our cats were victims to it. Cat got to the point it had no fear. Ran right past my 3yr old in the middle of the day to grab a chicken once. I baited that fucker and handled it after that one.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
If your dog made it home, you might consider that your dog fucked something up last night and these are just the resultant battle scars.

An honorable position to be in…did it eat dinner?…or lay down for a well fed nape?

dread Pirate

Reaction score
If your dog made it home, you might consider that your dog fucked something up last night and these are just the resultant battle scars.

An honorable position to be in…did it eat dinner?…or lay down for a well fed nape?

Considered that, but he's a big baby and has never shown any type of aggression towards anything. He has a 6 month old kitten as his sleeping partner.

He curled up in my kids bed for the night. Been moping around the house all day milking it.

4Waters

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about it being a Racoon, unless the dog led with his face. When I was a teen I watched two adult Coons shred the legs off a large German Shepard that made a move towards their two babies. Those two coons never bothered to look up, then went right for the ankles and hit him like a chain saw, one on each end, it was a brutal slaughter, that lasted maybe 15 seconds.
No sooner had the two coon incapacitated the dog, they gathered up their youngins and strutted off like nothing had happened.
As they departed one of the adults actually came up and bumped noses with our Siamese cat who was standing there with me watching.
A cat is far more inclined to leap and go for the face.
My German shepherd destroyed a racoon, no babies involved but destroyed it. The fight was ferocious and lasted a couple of minutes, my dog was covered in blood. We grabbed the hose and started rinsing him off, the blood rinsed off and nothing came back, it all rinsed off with the exception of one pinprick on his snout, we couldn't believe it, we got lucky.

thedan

Reaction score
Might have been a wolf…or 2…or 3? I think we have an inmate that can chime in! Truthfully hope your dog is ok.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Considered that, but he's a big baby and has never shown any type of aggression towards anything. He has a 6 month old kitten as his sleeping partner.

He curled up in my kids bed for the night. Been moping around the house all day milking it.
My dog bites me but is afraid of mail. Just sayin’

dread Pirate

Reaction score
My dog bites me but is afraid of mail. Just sayin’

Fortunately he's not afraid of mail anymore. 😂 He's a rescue. Spent 8 month in the shelter and was afraid of everything. I'm guessing he's about to be 2 years old and we've had him for 6 months. He's come a very long way. Still has to be under your feet all the time from abandonment issues though.

4Waters

Reaction score
Fortunately he's not afraid of mail anymore. 😂 He's a rescue. Spent 8 month in the shelter and was afraid of everything. I'm guessing he's about to be 2 years old and we've had him for 6 months. He's come a very long way. Still has to be under your feet all the time from abandonment issues though.
That's our Golden Retriever, he is constantly under our feet and follows us everywhere in the house because of how bad he was treated by his previous owners, he just loves to be loved

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Been living here over 20 years and this is a first. Dogs were agitated and wanted out last night. Not uncommon and they are usually barking at planes, squirrels, etc. They take off up the hill towards the shop and came back 5-10 minutes later. My shepherd knows how to open the door and let themselves in. If I could only get her to learn to close the damn door,,,, Ruger goes over and lays down by the wood stove and I didn't notice until he comes over kinda whining a few minutes later. Not sure wtf he came face to face with but little dog may have some scars from this. Only marks on his his face. Makes me think it wasn't a cat, but I really have no idea? Random stray or lost dog maybe? Glad he's ok, but damn,,, wtf is out in the woods?

View attachment 1173381
The spot between his peepers looks like a bite , below they left eye like a claw , lucking the pup didnt loose an eye Poor baby that will leave a scar , But the other Pittys will think hes a bad ass , like a jail tat

dread Pirate

Reaction score
The spot between his peepers looks like a bite , below they left eye like a claw , lucking the pup didnt loose an eye Poor baby that will leave a scar , But the other Pittys will think hes a bad ass , like a jail tat

Yeah one of my concerns. As a pit he already has that against him with some folks. Now a pit with scars he looks all scary.

He's a big baby and is milking this for sure. :rolleyes:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

View attachment 1173381
No interaction with some kind of fence? Chain link?

dread Pirate

Reaction score
No interaction with some kind of fence? Chain link?

No. Have some field fencing for the horses, but he doesn't have to go through it to get the poop treats. :D They also weren't outside long enough to get down there and back.

3 teeth marks under his eye I'm convinced. I can see it being a coyote or another dog easy enough by the shape of the overall wound.

However none of the neighbors have a missing dog. Or at least one they admit to.

Nordie

Reaction score
It almost looks like he went ass over tea kettle chasing whatever the culprit was. Looks almost like road rash. Either way props for have a great guard dog.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Any barbed wire around the parameter? Just throwing it out there.....hope your pup heals ok

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Just tell him bitches love scares

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
My neighbor at the lake woke up to a coyote sleeping on his deck….. so there is that…

That is south of the pot growing mountain you live on…..😏

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Update. He's healing up ok. Not sure how bad his scars will be. At this point it kinds looks like a claw. The bear we've seen would be about the right size for said claw and we haven't seen the bear since. He probably wanted to play with the bear knowing him.