WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Something New At Car Dealerships For Sales?

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
The wife and I were out today in Victorville picking up some furniture we had purchased and she has been thinking about buying a new Jeep Wrangler but has never driven one, so we head over to the local Jeep dealership to see about getting a test drive for her. We both have our masks on and talk with a lot attendant who turns out we knew some years ago and we ask him to call out a sales guy. Just after we ask this guy for a test drive, he tells us that they can't give us a test drive until they run our credit. He claims its a new law in California. I am very protective of my credit and I am not going to allow it to be run before we even get started.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
My FIL works as a salesman at an Infinity dealer in CA. They are supposed to ride along for test rides due to insurance reasons, but are basically just not abiding by that requirement at this time. He didn’t mentioned running credit report. That sounds ridiculous.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
I was at Toyota of Riverside a few years (20) back. A friend of mine wanted to buy a mini truck for cash. The salesman said he still needed to run her credit anyway. The manager had no problem with the sale.

DLC

Reaction score
Sounds like the salesman was way to busy to do his job and make a sale....

wont be buy from that dealership...

BingerFang

Reaction score
The first sentence says it all.... “I was in Victorville”

lol!

I’m not in the car business but viewing someone’s credit is the best way to thin out the dick beaters from the rest of the pack.

time is money!!! Someone with a 400 credit score is a waste of money&time.

I’m in the loan business and I couldn’t tell you how many hours I’ve wasted that I wouldn’t have if I would have known the persons credit was dog shit anyways.

You were in Victorville, if you were in Newport it would have probably been a different story.

Last edited:

FishSniper

Reaction score
The wife and I were out today in Victorville picking up some furniture we had purchased and she has been thinking about buying a new Jeep Wrangler but has never driven one, so we head over to the local Jeep dealership to see about getting a test drive for her. We both have our masks on and talk with a lot attendant who turns out we knew some years ago and we ask him to call out a sales guy. Just after we ask this guy for a test drive, he tells us that they can't give us a test drive until they run our credit. He claims its a new law in California. I am very protective of my credit and I am not going to allow it to be run before we even get started.
That sounds ridiculous but seeing how it is California it wouldn’t surprise me.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
We were at a Lincoln dealership today and he said we could just take the vehicle for a test drive on our own, he just needs a copy of our drivers license. Sounds like dealerships are setting up their own rules as hey go.

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
There is no law to test drive a vehicle period. Now if you want to leave with a vehicle it has to be a cashable contract. That means green cash or a credit report.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

lol!

I’m not in the car business but viewing someone’s credit is the best way to thin out the dick beaters from the rest of the pack.

time is money!!! Someone with a 400 credit score is a waste of money&time.

I’m in the loan business and I couldn’t tell you how many hours I’ve wasted that I wouldn’t have if I would have known the persons credit was dog shit anyways.

You were in Victorville, if you were in Newport it would have probably been a different story.

Goes both ways...I've walked away from lots of deals and went elsewhere because sales/loan people wanted to waste my time. Why is your time worth more than mine?

BingerFang

Reaction score

lol!
Goes both ways...I've walked away from lots of deals and went elsewhere because sales/loan people wanted to waste my time. Why is your time worth more than mine?

I’ve walked away from terrible salesmen myself. I give everyone the same opportunity but things change when I see credit scores. You have an 805 credit score ok you have my attention, let’s make a deal. You have a 425 credit score and are late on child support fuck offfff!

Victorville isn’t a glamorous city so I see why they are vetting people by credit scores is all I’m saying.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

lol!

I’ve walked away from terrible salesmen myself. I give everyone the same opportunity but things change when I see credit scores. You have an 805 credit score ok you have my attention, let’s make a deal. You have a 425 credit score and are late on child support fuck offfff!

Victorville isn’t a glamorous city so I see why they are vetting people by credit scores is all I’m saying.

If one has a whole mouthful of teeth in Victorville, a salesman can likely assume they're at the top tier level for the area.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Just bought the wife a car and we didn’t have any credit ran until it was time to do the long triple form. We test drove a $130k car just for the hell of it. By ourselves.

Shop somewhere else. Talk to the general manager and just kindly tell him that his policies blow and they lost a customer.

zhandfull

Reaction score
When they ask for your drivers license before a test drive. I always felt like the dealer used it for more than just identification. Maybe a soft credit inquiry to size up a potential customer?

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I bought 2 vehicles from Dave Smith last year, I ordered a Challenger which they delivered, then I bought a Ram 2500 which we flew up and drove back. The wife is driving an older Navigator now but is looking for something a little smaller. If she liked the Jeep, we would have taken it home that day, it really would have been an easy sale for them. Oh well just a very odd experience but there are lots of dealerships around I'm sure someone will let her take a test drive and take my money. Thanks for your input.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I bought 2 vehicles from Dave Smith last year, I ordered a Challenger which they delivered, then I bought a Ram 2500 which we flew up and drove back. The wife is driving an older Navigator now but is looking for something a little smaller. If she liked the Jeep, we would have taken it home that day, it really would have been an easy sale for them. Oh well just a very odd experience but there are lots of dealerships around I'm sure someone will let her take a test drive and take my money. Thanks for your input.

That dealership lost a sale over a stupid policy and Capitalism wins again 👍

2Driver

Reaction score
When they ask for your drivers license they take that and run your credit. You think they want it to show proof of a valid drivers license. If you can go home and check your credit I almost guarantee they hit your credit with a check.

Dbroncos

Reaction score
They ask for drivers license to confirm you have a valid license before you drive. you cant run a credit check with only a license. most car salesmen are shady as hell and do whatever they can to get you to buy a car at that moment so they believe if they get you to commit to credit and sitting down working a deal the better chance they sell you a car at that moment. when they ask crap like this i turn around and walk off the lot. if they can't take the time for me i can't give them my business. its just a shady sales tactic. i don't allow my credit to be run until we have a final deal in place (on paper)......

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I went to a BMW dealership in the early 90’s - wanted to test drive a new M3. Salesman told me I had to get credit approved before he could unlock the door ( I was driving a Z28, wearing jeans and a t shirt ). He didn’t know I was in sales, capable of doing a cash deal, and had perfect credit, and could see right through his bullshit. He saved me from myself. I left, went to the Acura dealership, took a fully loaded Legend 2 door 6 speed home for the weekend, left the Z there. Went back on Monday with my school clothes on, closed the deal. Ya,I couldn’t resist - went back to the BMW dealership with my new car, title in hand, dressed for success. Salesman came right out - didn’t recognize me. Wanted to know how he could be of assistance. I asked about the same car, parked in the same place. He immediately ran for the keys. When he got back, I reviewed our previous meeting, showed him the title on the new ride, and left. I taught him something, but he taught me something SUPER important - I’ve havent been at a BMW dealership since!

BONER

Reaction score
When they ask for your drivers license they take that and run your credit. You think they want it to show proof of a valid drivers license. If you can go home and check your credit I almost guarantee they hit your credit with a check.

A Dealerships insurance policy only covers licensed Drivers. Customers and or Employees. Asking for a DL is very valid. This is why as a sales guy or service advisor and you get a DUI, you're fucked.

Not sure what kind of Technology you think the Car Biz has, but I can assure you they need a SSN to do a pull.

There's really no benefit to knowing the credit score before you've landed the Customer on a car, so not sure where the defensiveness is coming from, nor do I understand this particular sales guys tactics.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
BS. They can’t test drive with you so they make a copy of your license and have you sign a form. Took a Lexus GX for a test drive yesterday.

2Driver

Reaction score
A Dealerships insurance policy only covers licensed Drivers. Customers and or Employees. Asking for a DL is very valid. This is why as a sales guy or service advisor and you get a DUI, you're fucked.

Not sure what kind of Technology you think the Car Biz has, but I can assure you they need a SSN to do a pull.

There's really no benefit to knowing the credit score before you've landed the Customer on a car, so not sure where the defensiveness is coming from, nor do I understand this particular sales guys tactics.

I understand needing a license but also found they ran credit as well. As a side note just getting a insurance quote can induce a credit check.

Not the end of the day I suppose just something about it that bugs me.

dribble

Reaction score
Lying sack of shit. There is no such law. We bought a used Certified used Jag sedan for cash and I told them flat out they weren't running my credit. While we were waiting for it the salesman let us drive an F-type convertible with a supercharged 5.0. They didn't even have a copy of my license much less a credit report. That car was a rocket.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That's gotta be bullshit..

RD

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Do they run credit checks for cash buyers, or buyers who bring their own financing?

Methinks not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BingerFang

Reaction score
I was 17 and my little sister was 14. We went to local Ford dealership (rhymes with Brody) and were checking out the new 5.0 mustangs killing time. The salesman asked us if we wanted to take it for a drive so we said sure.... I’ll never forget my 14 year old sister hopped in the driver seat and did a perfect test drive around Buena Park but we came up to a stop light and were in the right hand turn lane heading back to the dealership. Keep in mind I was crammed in the back seat of this brand new 5.0 mustang holding my breathe trying not laugh considering she didn’t even have permit..... she pulls up, stops and everything is good. The salesman is talking to her and she is stopped waiting for traffic to pass in the right hand turn lane. She then continues to turn the wheel a full 360 degrees to the right. Her wheels were now pointing straight toward the curb and in my head I was like “holy fucking shit were going straight for the stop light” she let her foot off the brake and the car was heading right toward the curb so she had to over correct and turn it left and continued to execute the right hander. We still laugh about it all the time, so funny.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Do they run credit checks for cash buyers, or buyers who bring their own financing?

Methinks not.

it’s Apple valley, the answer is probably yes for a test drive.

pkbullet

Reaction score

Methinks not.

We will get credit from an individual that wants to pay with a personal check or obtain own financing when they want to take delivery and we can't verify funds or approval. Peoples word seems to match their credit scores.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I wouldn't do a credit check for a test drive, Id be insulted. The only time I've had a problem at the dealership was when the C5 Corvettes came out. I wanted to see one in person and a GM dealer had one in their service bay. The salesmen wouldn't show me the car. said: "its by invitation only and only our current customers can see it" I was helping my friend at his European car repair shop. His Dad was in the hospital. I just happened to drive a Rolls Royce Corniche to the GM dealership. The sales guy who wouldn't show me the new Vette went out for a smoke. Saw what I was driving and changed his mind. I said: "fuck you!"

84miller

Reaction score

Write exactly what you wrote here to the general manager of the dealership. Most likely the salesman will get a review. My best guess, the dealership has a salesman incentive for every credit application that is completed as it is one step showing a almost sale. There is no law, but the salesman is ruining the reputation of the dealership.

DGRAY75

Reaction score
I am the sales manager at a GM, Subaru, Cadi dealer, I also was the GSM at a FOrd Dealer before this. That is not the law.. We in no shape or form have to pull your credit for a test drive... If you need any help please feel free to pm me.. Do not let someone run you credit until you are ready to buy...

HBCraig

Reaction score
I am the sales manager at a GM, Subaru, Cadi dealer, I also was the GSM at a FOrd Dealer before this. That is not the law.. We in no shape or form have to pull your credit for a test drive... If you need any help please feel free to pm me.. Do not let someone run you credit until you are ready to buy...
What Ford dealer?

I have a buddy that was a sales manager at Mills Ford then at Hemborg

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Credit app to test drive is BS, but don't be surprised on asking for short form apps even on cash purchases as policy since many dealerships require for identity verification. Depends on the dealer. Every dealer I worked for required Credit app if you had secured your own financing, and I agree with it. Need a way to back up your loan in case something falls out. Unwinding cars depreciates their value, have to minimize that. Same for personal checks and others. Green cash if they were insistent on not wanting to run an app, my Caddy store would let it go, but hey, then you are getting reported to the government for over 9900 anyway :)

Ladsm

Reaction score
I went to Sunrise Ford on a Saturday in 2001 with my daughter to look at new trucks. I had $15K cash in my pocket from selling my Suburban and my checkbook with plenty to cover the balance. The sales person kept wanting to show me the Mid-size Rangers that might be more in "MY PRICE RANGE". Finally got to the fleet manager and told him I want to drive a new F250 and if I like it I will buy it. They kept insisting on a credit check. Pulled out my wad of cash and said go get the keys or Im leaving. I wore suits M-F, Iike my jeans on the weekend.
F250.jpg

D19

Reaction score
No offense but it is Victorville.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I've always given a DL to test drive that's it. I walked into the Porsche dealer with Levi's, boots and a 3 day beard and drove out with a new Boxster in 1998. At the time there was a 6 month wait. Timing was right.

8dayz

Reaction score
Credit app to test drive is BS, but don't be surprised on asking for short form apps even on cash purchases as policy since many dealerships require for identity verification. Depends on the dealer. Every dealer I worked for required Credit app if you had secured your own financing, and I agree with it. Need a way to back up your loan in case something falls out. Unwinding cars depreciates their value, have to minimize that. Same for personal checks and others. Green cash if they were insistent on not wanting to run an app, my Caddy store would let it go, but hey, then you are getting reported to the government for over 9900 anyway :)

These threads are more about big shot cash buying experts with all the answers. An app for a ride is a junk move, but is always required no matter how you purchase. Not a big deal. It really doesn’t do a pile of damage. And if your balls are that gold a single inquiry on your TRW isn’t going to take away your birthday or stop the world from spinning.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
We just bought a new little Honda in February. Orange County. Maybe the price point, but no ask of a driver's license or credit. Shit... the salesperson didn't want to drive it off the lot because of the manual transmission... so I did :)

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
When I bought my Silverado over a year ago, we were negotiating and they kept asking are you sure your credit is above 780? I kept saying yes. I brought the wife and two kids, had on flip flops, roadrunner tank top and a hat. The truck was almost 50k. They wanted to run my credit and said nope. No need. We finally made the deal. They checked my credit ...823. They were like wow! People always lie, but its usually the other way!

I came back a week later to drop the truck off to get the leather put in, I had on a suit as I just got off work, they didn't recognize me. Both sale person and manger both had that look on there face, and so did I.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I liked the Ford dealer when buying my truck. Sales guy just pulled out the truck I wanted to test drive and off I went by myself. They didn't even ask for my license.

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score

The Salesperson is full of it... His comment is total BS.

I would check the Costco buying program on the Jeep your considering. BTW, you can find shady people or knuckleheads in most businesses.

Good Luck,

Dave Crain
Cadillac/Buick/GMC.
Riverside, Ca