WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sometimes RDP is right...

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
This happened in front of me this morning. Guess this guy really did need a freightliner to tow his spread axle enclosed trailer...

IMG_9949.JPG
IMG_9950.JPG
IMG_9953.JPG

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Improper loading and too much speed will get ya every time. Bummer for sure. Hope all are well.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
"What's in the box?!" ...Sorry, Seven quote.

Impressive hitch strength. The truck doesn't look too bad, but have to wonder about the contents of the trailer. That nice of trailer usually means nice stuff. I have only towed a couple spread axles like that. Super stable in cross winds, but were loaded like I'd load anything else. I wonder if they are more sensitive. My trailers are crusty and old. If there's nice stuff in them, I'm delivering it and driving super cautious;)

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Yikes! Our 26' super spread axle is very stable in most conditions but not immune to issues under emergency braking/maneuvering. Only had sway issues once during normal driving and I was completely to blame due to incorrect load distribution.

-Zack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
We have no idea what caused that wreck...could have been any number of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It happened going downhill on I25. It looked to me (I was a few cars back) like it started swaying and couldn’t be saved. Happened pretty quick. He had passed me about 10 miles earlier in town, and got a yellow light that I got red. I had never seen the trailer in our small town and noticed it had some sort of numbers on the side. I was trying to catch him to see if I recognized the number or if there was a name. Glad I wasn’t closer/next to him!

Didn’t look like anyone got hurt, all seemed fine.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I'll just shut up, walk outside and look at my one ton dually and smile. Hope all involved are OK.

Big trucks don’t solve problems.

Scariest thing I ever hauled was a 21’ attitude Toyhauler with a Yamaha rhino inside.
I was pulling with a Ram 2500 mega cab diesel.
Trailer was all over the place. It was so bad I even did the 55mph speed limit lol. It was all over the place even at 55.

Everything was level an had load Distribution and sway control. Problem was the floor plan of the trailer did not allow us to put the Rhino far enough forward.

So when people just start blaming the pull vehicle it really shows ignorance.

Backlash

Reaction score
I mentioned in another towing thread some time ago, that I've been involveded in several incidents where "We" almost lost it. I wasn't driving in any of those incidents, but every single one occurred because the trailer and load far outweighed the truck's towing capabilities. No matter how those loads would have been stacked on the trailers, the trucks were not capable of safely towing those loads.

In your rationale, any load could be towed safely by any size vehicle if the load was simply "Stacked correctly." If that was truly the case, manufacturers wouldn't make different size trucks with different towing capabilities. Just a thought.

We can simply agree to disagree on the matter though. Just because a 4wd Toyota pickup can pull a Scarab up a launch ramp in Havasu doesn't mean that same Toyota truck is safely able to tow that boat and trailer.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It happened going downhill on I25. It looked to me (I was a few cars back) like it started swaying and couldn’t be saved. Happened pretty quick. He had passed me about 10 miles earlier in town, and got a yellow light that I got red. I had never seen the trailer in our small town and noticed it had some sort of numbers on the side. I was trying to catch him to see if I recognized the number or if there was a name. Glad I wasn’t closer/next to him!

Didn’t look like anyone got hurt, all seemed fine.
Bettin' it was a fairly heavy load and the trailer tried to go around the truck. The guy pulling it either panicked and hit the brakes or didn't know to reach down and grab the trailer brakes.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
Yep if you feel it getting squirrelly don't hit the brakes. Use the trailer brake override to engage just the trailer brakes and hit the gas a little if needed.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yep if you feel it getting squirrelly don't hit the brakes. Use the trailer brake override to engage just the trailer brakes and hit the gas a little if needed.
Had to do it several times from Paso to Tucson with a loaded trailer like that until I was able to adjust the weight distribution bars and add a away control bar.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The problem is Most people just don't do their (own) homework before hooking up a trailer and taking off.

It's good to hear everyone walked away.

Towing is serious business.

Backlash

Reaction score
Maybe you missed the first few moments of the video where they said the rollover occurred when there was ice on the road.... :rolleyes:

River Runnin

Reaction score
And BOTH of those examples are why I don't own a pick-up anymore! ....M2 Freightliner FTW!!