WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Son joined the US Navy

howard21

Reaction score
My 20 year old son got tired of being a full time college student and joined the Navy. He enlisted as a Surface Machinist Mate. Anyone here been there done that? I think it's a good move.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
My brother was in the Naval academy and I have 2 brothers in the Marines. to be completely frank if he got tired of the college commitment, I think commiting to the military probably not the best idea.

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
My brother was in the Naval academy and I have 2 brothers in the Marines. to be completely frank if he got tired of the college commitment, I think commiting to the military probably not the best idea.

I don't know about that. School isn't for everyone.

I was in the Navy. It was a great transition from teenage to adult.

I don't know much about his rate though.

Best of luck to him.

Last edited:

jetboatmatt

Reaction score
My brother was in Navy for 5 years was a quarter Master and now is out with a great job as a Captain in the Gulf of Mexico.. I thank him for making that choice to serve and protect all of us..:thumbsup

Dave Wettlaufer

Reaction score
He'll learn a good trade, see the world and grow up.:thumbsup

Congrats!:thumbsup

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
One of my boys did the military too,it was agood deal for him
I have a number of family members that are in or were.

Schi-502

Reaction score
Machinist Mate...
I was a MM in '73-'81. I don't know where the designation "Surface" comes from. Unless it means he'll never be on a submarine!
As an MM I was trained to operate, repair and document repairs to hydraulic stations, steam turbines, pumps, gear sets, plumbing and on and on.

I worked in engine rooms on two surface ships. One a 1200# plant, single screw the other a 600# plant, twin screw x 100,000 shp apiece.

USS Paul DE 1080
USS Seattle AOE-3

Congrats to you, Dad.

Wolskis

Reaction score
Did my 6 years in San Diego. Best move I made. Doing the same work now, power plants. Lots of ex-navy in the power industry. Good $$$$$ too. Seeing the sights in the PI were pretty good to.

rivergoer

OH SHIAT HERE WE GO AGAIN
Reaction score
Tell him congrats. saturday was my 9 year mark in the marine corps. if i didnt make the choice to join well lets just say my life turned out 100000000000000. times better than if i didnt. it will help him grow up and learn to man the f up. he will receive innvaluable intangable benefits as well as tangible ones. and hey our military can always use the extra guys..get ready for an extended family because you will have guests on the holidays !!! hahaha. matter of fact im posting this from afgan right now so ask your son if he can drive his boat over here and come get me hahaha.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My son wants to go into the miltary as well when he graduates. I think it's a good choice.

Tell him thanks for his service.