WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Son needs divorce lawyer/ info

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
My son who is living in 29 palms is in need of a divorce lawyer. He really can't afford much up front but needs to talk to someone asap.
Anybody have any recommendations.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this. Best to him and the family.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
First rule is Do Not Move Out. It will be called abandonment. Push for mediation. Think long term.
Advice from a guy happily married for 34 years.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
First rule is Do Not Move Out. It will be called abandonment. Push for mediation. Think long term.
Advice from a guy happily married for 34 years.
They tried counseling no go. She kicked him out to the rv down the street. He really is only looking for info on house equity and if/how it gets done.

PlumLoco

Reaction score
Arbitration streamlines the process and will save a ton of money and time. Nobody wins ever, except the lawyers. Lots less of that with arbitration. But partners need to be adults and not punitive.

PlumLoco

Reaction score
I have a partner teacher who went through a horrible divorce with her husband. He hid lots of assets (cars, guns, fishing equipment), was responsible for their house in Canyon Lake (that he built) going into foreclosure, and was a constant no show at court. He quit working early in the process.
The result after 3 years is that she had to give him half of her retirement so she will be working seven years beyond 30 to make that up. I hope your son can resolve things amicably. His future depends on it

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I’ve been down this road and my brother in law is going down this road.

Here is my 2 cents. Everything in joint accounts is up for grabs take it before she does.
Anything you own of significance that you can sell without her signature sell it and “loose” the money in Vegas.
My ex wife did this and it worked judge didn’t give a fuck.

I’m f you have kids together I’m sorry this is going to be way harder on them than you. Don’t forget that.

Give her anything she wants to avoid alimony and going to court. Don’t be a dumb shit and spend 50k to secure 75k.
The quicker and easier you can get away the sooner you start over on your rebuild.

Good luck

Lumpy

Reaction score
For starters go here immediately!!!

viewforum.php

Read "The List" ...this is your bible for men getting divorced. Live by it!

Find an attorney pronto. Finding the right lawyer can be a challenge. You need a litigator not a negotiator. 95% of divorce attorneys are negotiators
that due nothing but bleed you dry. Finding a "litigator" in your county is always best when possible...they know who's who.

Remember...the one who leaves the marital home first generally loses. Don't leave your kids...ever. Sleep in a separate room DO NOT LEAVE HOME!

NO dating till it's over!!!!

Stay cool.

cofooter

Reaction score
For starters go here immediately!!!

viewforum.php

Read "The List" ...this is your bible for men getting divorced. Live by it!

Find an attorney pronto. Finding the right lawyer can be a challenge. You need a litigator not a negotiator. 95% of divorce attorneys are negotiators
that due nothing but bleed you dry. Finding a "litigator" in your county is always best when possible...they know who's who.

Remember...the one who leaves the marital home first generally loses. Don't leave your kids...ever. Sleep in a separate room DO NOT LEAVE HOME!

NO dating till it's over!!!!

Stay cool.
Agree, if he leaves the house he is at a huge disadvantage especially if they have kids. If thats the only place she can afford to live, they cannot make her sell it quickly, so he may be waiting a long time for equity. Have him look at the website above, it helped me, though depressing as Hell, it had some good advice....... if he can have him do it w/o lawyers, or draft up an agreement between both parties and have lawyers for each side review, even a simple divorce is going to cost $50K if it gets out of hand...... I gave my ex another $75K just to keep the lawyers out and I still ending up buying her a house, lol. Its gonna be a fairly predictable outcome, regardless.......

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
It's too bad that emotions play such a big part of a divorce, because sometimes what you are fighting over just ends up going to the Attorney's anyway. Divorce is a total scam. You tell people to do mediation and come to a compromise but they just can't do it. That's life...

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Reading these answers I hope he can do mediation/ arbitration to solve the few real problem they will have to deal with.

lantz

Reaction score
Not sure if you son has kids. I just reread your original post. I had already written the below.

It's tough, but it is not impossible to get a divorce amicably. Keep the kids out of it as much as possible. They will know what's going on, but they need to see each party treating each other respectfully.

Have them make lists and to think about what they both have that is really for the kids. When I divorced, I had quads and the kids had quads because we all went to the desert. I asked her if she would not include my quad or the kids quad on any list or the camping gear and trailer that I used to get it all there because they loved it, and I would continue to take them to the desert. It made sense. She agreed. I kept all the quads, but the kids go to keep going to the desert and to the beach and to the river, but she got to use any of that stuff if she wanted to. She didn't often, but when she did want, it, it was, "Sure, I'll pack it up for you and have it ready when you want it."

I got an appraisal on the house. I showed her who I was using and invited her to get her own. She did not. We were both living there at the time. We slept in different bedrooms. When the appraisal came through we talked about who kept the house. I was the only one working at that time, but she had two degrees and could easily work. If she wanted the house, it would mean I would move out of the county to be able to afford to pay for it and things would get complicated quick, and all of our lives would be messed up, or she would have to work and do all the maintenance and be on the hook for property taxes, etc. She agreed. I paid her 50% of the equity in the house in cash, and she moved out and got a job.

I did give her free access to anything that she wanted in the house, and I did not sell or give away anything before asking her first if it was something she wanted to keep or cared about. Anything related to the kids got special attention and care to save until the two of us could decide what to do with it. I still store a lot of it.

Legal Zoom was useless, but I went that route and spent $300 just to get a bunch of worksheets to fill out, and I then hired a legal assistant and for $800, had an agreement drawn up that the two of us agreed to, filed all the paper work with the proper places and it was done.

I did keep the kids on my medical because it was far better than what she had because she did not have a job, and when she did get a job, my plan was better for the kids.

I had more years accrued at my job, so I still make more, so I have bought one car for one kid, and paid insurance for two drivers from the day they got their license without question.

It's possible to to get an amicable divorce.

I did tell her that if she wanted to take part of my pension or receive alimony, then we would have to get attorneys. She declined.

Tell your kid to take it slow. Don't post anything on SM. Don't burn bridges. Think about kids first.

Good Luck to your son's family.

Roosky01

Reaction score
In my personal experience, if there is a good amount of money and assets in the marriage, the lawyers will drag it out as long as they possibly can to cash in on billable hours.

Those fukr’s are in cahoots together whether they seem not to like each other or not.

My divorce was the worst 2.5 years of my life and a good share of the disgust was due directly to the lawyers on each side. Funny thing is, I was paying for both of them….

Sending positive thoughts your Son’s way in this difficult time.☹️

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Didn't someone here say to talk to or consult with all the lawyers in a certain distance so that your significant other can't hire then due to conflict of interest?

My wording my not be 100% but I know it was something like that

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Reading these answers I hope he can do mediation/ arbitration to solve the few real problem they will have to deal with.

Mediation only works if the two like each other, if they can't come to an agreement the judge will make the final decision.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
The most insulting aspect about a divorce is after both Attorney's get legal access to your savings accounts and drain them, after depositions, after court, on the last day you're looking at a simple Excel spreadsheet on your finances and it's a done deal. God forbid you just skip the whole Lawyer part and get to the excel spreadsheet. My divorce took about a year, my buddy used a mediator and took a few months and got the same results without costly legal fee's.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Mediate if at all possible. Like said above, the attorneys and judges all operate in their best interests. Judges are ex attorneys so they take care of their own. Don’t have money to pay your attorney but have a home with equity, plan on judge ordering the house to be sold so attorneys get paid. Proceeds from sale go from escrow to attorney. Attorneys have full view of your assets and have a license to steel. The attorneys in most cases are all friends. So don’t think your attorney doesn’t like the opposing attorney, they will argue like they hate each other in court and then step out for lunch together. It’s a very bad situation and a broken system. Good luck.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Mediate if at all possible. Like said above, the attorneys and judges all operate in their best interests. Judges are ex attorneys so they take care of their own. Don’t have money to pay your attorney but have a home with equity, plan on judge ordering the house to be sold so attorneys get paid. Proceeds from sale go from escrow to attorney. Attorneys have full view of your assets and have a license to steel. The attorneys in most cases are all friends. So don’t think your attorney doesn’t like the opposing attorney, they will argue like they hate each other in court and then step out for lunch together. It’s a very bad situation and a broken system. Good luck.
100% Correct, every word.

dribble

Reaction score
As stated above. I divorced after 30 years of marriage. We went to an attorney/mediator. We told her what we had agreed to and she wrote up the divorce agreement. The total cost for the lawyer was $1800.00. When we got married our net worth was about $15.00. When we divorced it was well over a million. We had an RV, two Harleys the boat, a tractor, a big property and three cars to deal with. One thing I did was let her spend joint money for furniture, new bed etc. I also let her take whatever she wanted in the house. The only thing we disagreed over was that she wanted to be paid for half the tools. I refused and told her she could have half the tools. She declined. Bottom line is that lawyers could have ended up with a 200K of our money. The best thing for your son to do is to be nice and don’t quibble over replaceable shit. This all started in Feb 2015 and by July the judge signed our divorce agreement and I moved on.

gqchris

Reaction score
They key is how rational the female is. Which very rarely do they think in terms of practicality or rationality. Normally, its about punishing you to their maximum limit and fucking you over so you cannot even feed yourself once its done.

Its all based on their emotional response, and it sucks!

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I know a reasonable, younger guy that I've referred buddies to. Lives in Corona/Riverside area.

Shoot me a PM if that sounds like what he's looking for.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
It's too bad that emotions play such a big part of a divorce, because sometimes what you are fighting over just ends up going to the Attorney's anyway. Divorce is a total scam. You tell people to do mediation and come to a compromise but they just can't do it. That's life...
This.

People bitch about the attorneys and I'm looking at them like "Haven't you been arguing for a week over who gets some non-sentimental, depreciating asset? This is your fault." :rolleyes:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
My son who is living in 29 palms is in need of a divorce lawyer. He really can't afford much up front but needs to talk to someone asap.
Anybody have any recommendations.
Here’s some advice. If he has any guns, transfer them to you ASAP. All of them

Too many divorce attorneys file TRO’s as SOP. They have found that obtaining a permanent injunction gives them an edge later in the case.

Once a TRO has been served, the recipient has 24 hrs to dispose of all firearms in a prescribed manner.

Good luck to him, he’s about to have a very shitty couple of years :(

Maybe this will cheer him up

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Didn't someone here say to talk to or consult with all the lawyers in a certain distance so that your significant other can't hire then due to conflict of interest?

My wording my not be 100% but I know it was something like that
That was me!

Its called conflicting them out…….

Both my wife and I are on our 2nd marriages. But we have now been together 25 years.

My current attorney wife only charged me 8 inches repeadiatly, instead of an hourly rate, to handle my divorce. It was fun paying off that bill! My ex wife never stood a chance! You should have seen the look on her face when she was ordered to pay me child support. She thought that was impossible!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Im living this life right now. I have talked to a couple attorneys and would love nothing more than to settle but I dont think my other half will agree on things at the end of the day. Its been a rough 9-10 months and its only going to get worse. Send help lol!!!!

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Man every time one of these threads pops up I'm that much more thankful for my wife and the 33 years we've been married. First marriage for both of us. Can't imagine going through this and possibly having to visit my kids on someone else's terms.

Cerberus703

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input.

I am the son, by the way.

It's an ugly situation for me.. absolutely no communication and she want me to leave, essentially, with nothing.

I could talk forever about how great our life was

Reality is, she wants me to leave with nothing after we have spent the last few years doing nothing but improve and remodel our home..
(Probably the biggest stresser in our relationship)

She refinanced the house after we got married (joint decision) but my name is not on the loan, and I don't know if she used my income for that loan application. That would guarantee my stake in the house

The 2 of us, with virtually no outside help, have improved and remodeled our house. We have accrued 200k equity in a place where 200k, normally, would buy you an entirely new home.

She wants me to leave with a 20k RV, that I'm living in. And she wants me to buy my own car from her beacuse she got the better rate when we bought it.
THATS ALL.
Also, I can't get a loan for the car regardless, because our finances have been tied together and she accrued 55% of our credit line in recent months to help finish our kitchen remodel dropped my score to 740ish but with to much debt and I, personally, don't have enough history to overcome that.
She also has my credit card, zero balance (Thang god) but I need that.. and I started doordashing to make extra cash on the side, she has my doordash debit card as well.

We did counseling, and i was willing.. this is where things shook her up.. she always thought that I didn't do enough, and I drink too much. ( 2 tall miller lites per day usually, and I am home 2 hours before her.

The first counselor ran with her at first.. but when I was doing everything they suggested, everything seemed fine on my end and he started to question her. Counselor basically started to say that she seemed unwilling to compromise on anything and she has been dictating every aspect of our relationship..

Fired him.. started over with a second.. same result.. fired..

Oh yeah, in the middle of this, we had an argument when I tried to go get my legal paperwork (passport, social security card , records etc..) and in that 1 single argument, where I never made threats.. I got a temporary restraining order, hearing is tomorrow ( wish me luck, I dont have any guns currently, but I really enjoy them and would love to be able to buy a couple)

Truth be told, I'm way to kind, giving and respectful to have gotten into a situation like this.

Sorry I vented all of this, but I know y'all have been supportive of each other for so long

There is plenty more that goes along with it, im not perfect, but her shit stinks too.

Cerberus703

Reaction score
I know a reasonable, younger guy that I've referred buddies to. Lives in Corona/Riverside area.

Shoot me a PM if that sounds like what he's looking for.
I'm MJCs son, Andrew. Being a new member I can't PM you yet, could you PM me the details so I can reach out.
Thank you

bonesfab

Reaction score
I'm MJCs son, Andrew. Being a new member I can't PM you yet, could you PM me the details so I can reach out.
Thank you
Even if you are not on the loan you should be entitled to half the equity since the marriage. If you have been helping pay for it.. That's what screwed me on my divorce. She filed in 07 at the peak and got half the equity. She was not on the loan.

Lumpy

Reaction score

It's an ugly situation for me.. absolutely no communication and she want me to leave, essentially, with nothing.

Reality is, she wants me to leave with nothing after we have spent the last few years doing nothing but improve and remodel our home..

She refinanced the house after we got married (joint decision) but my name is not on the loan, and I don't know if she used my income for that loan application. That would guarantee my stake in the house

The 2 of us, with virtually no outside help, have improved and remodeled our house. We have accrued 200k equity in a place where 200k, normally, would buy you an entirely new home.

She wants me to leave with a 20k RV, that I'm living in. And she wants me to buy my own car from her beacuse she got the better rate when we bought it.
THATS ALL.
Also, I can't get a loan for the car regardless, because our finances have been tied together and she accrued 55% of our credit line in recent months to help finish our kitchen remodel dropped my score to 740ish but with to much debt and I, personally, don't have enough history to overcome that.
She also has my credit card, zero balance (Thang god) but I need that.. and I started doordashing to make extra cash on the side, she has my doordash debit card as well.

We did counseling, and i was willing.. this is where things shook her up.. she always thought that I didn't do enough, and I drink too much. ( 2 tall miller lites per day usually, and I am home 2 hours before her.

The first counselor ran with her at first.. but when I was doing everything they suggested, everything seemed fine on my end and he started to question her. Counselor basically started to say that she seemed unwilling to compromise on anything and she has been dictating every aspect of our relationship..

Oh yeah, in the middle of this, we had an argument when I tried to go get my legal paperwork (passport, social security card , records etc..) and in that 1 single argument, where I never made threats.. I got a temporary restraining order, hearing is tomorrow ( wish me luck, I dont have any guns currently, but I really enjoy them and would love to be able to buy a couple)

Truth be told, I'm way to kind, giving and respectful to have gotten into a situation like this.

Sorry I vented all of this, but I know y'all have been supportive of each other for so long

There is plenty more that goes along with it, im not perfect, but her shit stinks too.
You need representation pronto! If you don't have a lawyer at the hearing with you you need to request the judge for a continuance in order to find representation. The judge will grant it and it will buy you some time. DO NOT say anything other than asking for the continuance. Your wife is no longer the person you knew...she has been coached and has been planning this for awhile. Doesn't sound like the two of you have kids...thank God. At this point its all about defeating the TRO in order to keep your rights and the devision of property...get through it as fast as can so you can move on with your life. What you're going through is a very common scenario...dont do anything stupid and stay frosty. Good luck.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Can we get the wife involved in this thread? There is a bunch of holes in this story and the boat is listing severely to one side. I’m confident that this separation can be handled right here fairly and amicably. 😁

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score

THATS ALL.

Stay strong man. Good luck.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score

THATS ALL.

I feel for you and will 100% agree it is not fair but divorce is never fair. If you can get out with the RV and no debt it might be the cheapest and cleanest divorce in RDP history. I know the equity of the home seems like a lot but after 1 year of time, realtor fees to sell, and Attoney fees there would be nothing left anyways.
If it was me or if I was giving advice to a friend I would make it quick and clean. Let her think she won but really you win if she doesn’t drag you down with her.

DLC

Reaction score
Sounds like she’s has had this planned out! Really weird how everything positive is on her side! Your car her name, credit card balance, refinance in her name!

Did you sign any refi Docs? You MAY have signed a quick claim DOC. Bundled in the packet of loan docs.

Really weird how a mortgage lender would lend to only her! When ownership is between both of you. That means they ( lender ) can’t come after you if she defaulted on the loan…. That is a HUGE RED FLAG 🚩!! And is NOT the norm

she seems very controlling.

Best of Luck to you !

Get some legal help!

DLC

Reaction score
I feel for you and will 100% agree it is not fair but divorce is never fair. If you can get out with the RV and no debt it might be the cheapest and cleanest divorce in RDP history. I know the equity of the home seems like a lot but after 1 year of time, realtor fees to sell, and Attoney fees there would be nothing left anyways.
If it was me or if I was giving advice to a friend I would make it quick and clean. Let her think she won but really you win if she doesn’t drag you down with her.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn’t want to post that.

what’s the car balance? Is the car anything special?

what does she drive? Is it free and clear no loan

look at Dollars and the debt

attorneys are going to be at least $10,000 each!

so now -
car dept
CC balances
attorneys fees $20,000

reality is splitting $100 G after everything is all said and done! And the house sells!

can she afford the house all on her own OR does she have a new roommate ready to move it….

badgas

Reaction score
So Sorry you are going through this man I would be heartbroken. If she has your credit cards you need to close them NOW and freeze your credit. The two of you are married so the assets belong to both of you. " She" does not dictate who gets to keep what.

You need to get some legal help. This is now a business transaction and you both have rights.

bonesfab

Reaction score
A couple of thIngs. Surprised no one has asked for pics yet. And divorces cost money because they are worth it. Once lawyers are involved there won’t be much left to split up.

Reactions: DLC

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
A couple of thIngs. Surprised no one has asked for pics yet. And divorces cost money because they are worth it. Once lawyers are involved there won’t be much left to split up.

makes me sick thinking about it

white tortilla

Reaction score
Honestly if your young, no kids and minimal assets it might just be easiest to walk away from fighting over physical assets. Better then going to court, and paying some type of long term alimony that might come up. Don't give the lawyers all your guys stuff with their bills. Your not sleeping thinking about court dates, mediation and depositions for the next 24 months. The courts are way backed up from covid.

I think most guys i know, after going through shitty divorces if they were younger (under 50) , would definitely contemplate that it would have been easier to walk away and not fight over assets (pensions excluded), start over at zero with no financial obligations that are playing out for years to come.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
They tried counseling no go. She kicked him out to the rv down the street. He really is only looking for info on house equity and if/how it gets done.

She will need to refinance the home and pay him out. Don't let her hire her own appraiser. Make sure the inspection is done by an unbiased appraiser used by the lenders AMC (appraisal management company). At close of escrow, he would sign a Quit Claim deed to remove himself from title in exchange for his share of the equity. If she cannot afford to do the cash out refinance, she needs to sell the house.

Call me if you need help with this part.