WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sonos speakers

JM21

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been discussed but looking for some feedback on a couple things...

1. I am building a custom home and looking to wire it with all Sonos products inside and outside. Mostly the in ceiling speakers, amps, subs and outdoor speaker set. Feedback on these products please?!

2. Anyone know how to get a promo code for a discount on their website? 10% could save me some pretty good coin based on what I am looking to spend.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.

78DiMarco

Reaction score
All the Sonos speakers I user are wireless...

HitIt

Reaction score
Sonos is like the Bose of the 90s. Good (not great) stuff but you pay a yuuuge premium for it. If I was building a custom home and dropping some coin I would try to find someone in the home audio biz. Make sure you prewire for home security (alarm and cameras), too.

All the Sonos speakers I user are wireless...

This is what you pay for with Sonos. Ease of use. If you have the ability to prewire, do it and spend the money on quality audio.

gmnhra

Reaction score
I use the Sonos amps to power hardwired in-ceiling speakers. I chose Niles speakers and are happy with those. no real world opinion on the Sonos speakers.
I do use the tv soundbars and sub-woofers
also did a good sized sub and amp under the deck to augment the speakers on the patio

App control is awesome and integrates with Alexa.

Although Alexa went rogue on me after an app update...still can not figure it out...

Discounts...not so much

JM21

Reaction score
Sonos is like the Bose of the 90s. Good (not great) stuff but you pay a yuuuge premium for it. If I was building a custom home and dropping some coin I would try to find someone in the home audio biz. Make sure you prewire for home security (alarm and cameras), too.

I had 2 guys out to walk my job and they both want to drain my wallet and make sure houses 4 acres away hear my music and my family just doesn't need that. I need music during small parties and holidays, while cleaning and doing chores and of course working in the garage.

RaceTec

Reaction score
I had 2 guys out to walk my job and they both want to drain my wallet and make sure houses 4 acres away hear my music and my family just doesn't need that. I need music during small parties and holidays, while cleaning and doing chores and of course working in the garage.
When I did my house I used almost all Monoprice stuff and was amazed by the quality and the price!

HitIt

Reaction score
Roger. Make sure you plan for the "what do I do if Sonos stops supporting my hardware" moment when you are running wire, etc. Any of that stuff that relies on software updates to keep working should be considered semi-disposable. That is why I like to keep the main infrastructure like amps, speakers, distribution separate from the whiz bang stuff like streaming devices.

I would probably do home runs to a closet for all of the speakers and then figure it out from there. Then use multi channel amps like this (just an example, not a recommendation):

Alternatively, you could use the Sonos amps in the closet if you still want the Sonos integration. With the home runs, you aren't stuck with a specific technology driven topology.

Last edited:

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
i got the Sonos arc a sub and two small speakers and damn i was surprised how good that it sounds

Reactions: SJP

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I have Sonos throughout my house, garage and backyard. They are not cheap, but there are a few sales events throughout the year that pop up and can save you a few bucks. They are in Costco at times as well so check there.

You are paying for the simplicity in my opinion. I think they sound great and I've had a numerous friends install systems at their house after they saw/heard my set up. Controlling everything from an app that integrates into all your music (phones and services) is very convenient. I'd buy them again.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I really like the Proficient speakers and I think they are some of the best for the money. My buddy is an electrician and he lets me buy them at ADI on his account. I used them everywhere in my home except my home theatre room. They sound real good and a fraction of the cost of retail speakers. Their upper end kevlar series is real well built with pretty serious crossovers

Richard.E

Reaction score
I got my Sonos speakers and sound bar from Costco. Very easy to connect. Running power to the area I hung them was kind of a bitch, but the sound is really good

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
My current house has a full surround sound built in set up and i had an extra amp that controlled the pool table room and back patio speakers.

Years ago i replaced the back yard stuff with sonos and i'm not looking back.....I like simple and i'm not cutting holes

I already have 5 play 1's . I will add the arc play par and a sub at the new house and call it good.

The app and wireless aspect are worth the price.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I use the Sonos amps to power hardwired in-ceiling speakers. I chose Niles speakers and are happy with those. no real world opinion on the Sonos speakers.
I do use the tv soundbars and sub-woofers
also did a good sized sub and amp under the deck to augment the speakers on the patio

App control is awesome and integrates with Alexa.

Although Alexa went rogue on me after an app update...still can not figure it out...

Discounts...not so much

This!!! Exactly what I did. I put really good wired in ceiling speakers in and run off a so is amp. I also use their sound bar and sub. It sounds amazing and I get to control it all from the app on my phone. All the components are in my laundry room.

If your doing a new build definitely wire the in ceiling speakers. Sonos will not be around forever. They also just tried to phase out their old speakers and not support the app any longer and their customers went nuts.

Their speakers are ok. But their platform is fantastic. That’s why I use a hybrid of the two

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I really like the Proficient speakers and I think they are some of the best for the money. My buddy is an electrician and he lets me buy them at ADI on his account. I used them everywhere in my home except my home theatre room. They sound real good and a fraction of the cost of retail speakers. Their upper end kevlar series is real well built with pretty serious crossovers

They are great speakers for the money. I don’t think they would work too long with the Krell amps you posted a while back. 😬

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
They are great speakers for the money. I don’t think they would work too long with the Krell amps you posted a while back. 😬

yea, the home theater/ listening room is a different story.....

I have a denon avrx receiver tied into a multi channel amp controlling all the hard wired speakers throughout the home and backyard and the Proficient speakers sound really good and are super efficient. I prefer to use a good AVRreceiver with wifi to control all the home sound vs Sonos but that’s just me

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have Sonos in every room of the house, the garage, around the pool etc., as well as subs in the garage, the bar and for the pool. All of it is hardwired to a closet where all the sonos amps sit on shelves. We have done in the last three houses out here, there are less costly routes, but I am familiar with it and it works. Lorne and Chad of Havasu Wiring did the installs.

caribbean20

Reaction score
This!!! Exactly what I did. I put really good wired in ceiling speakers in and run off a so is amp. I also use their sound bar and sub. It sounds amazing and I get to control it all from the app on my phone. All the components are in my laundry room.

If your doing a new build definitely wire the in ceiling speakers. Sonos will not be around forever. They also just tried to phase out their old speakers and not support the app any longer and their customers went nuts.

Their speakers are ok. But their platform is fantastic. That’s why I use a hybrid of the two
X2 on pre wiring those in-ceiling speakers. We have Sonos Version 1 in our vacation home and they had the unmitigated gall to suggest we buy new HARDWARE when they updated to Version 2. Uhhh, NFW and bye bye Sonos from my future shopping list.

We just installed 6 Origin Accoustics wired speakers in 3 of our Zones and they sound dam good, FWIW.

riverroyal

Reaction score
X2 on pre wiring those in-ceiling speakers. We have Sonos Version 1 in our vacation home and they had the unmitigated gall to suggest we buy new HARDWARE when they updated to Version 2. Uhhh, NFW and bye bye Sonos from my future shopping list.

We just installed 6 Origin Accoustics wired speakers in 3 of our Zones and they sound dam good, FWIW.
Nice choice on the origin. MRS RR moves a lot of their product.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Been covered by most of the guys above but if you’re going in ceiling you don’t need ‘Sonos’ in ceiling speakers. I would definitely go in ceiling for future ‘proofing’. If you want to pair a sub you can still do that. There are a few AV guys on the boards (us included) that cut members good deals on equipment if you’re interested and just want material.

As for Sonos itself for control, it’s definitely easy and if you’re going to diy and only want music it’s a good option. 👍

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Sonos is good, Yamaha musicast is also. As suggested I would hardwire all speakers to a central location. After or towards end of construction you can use any quality speakers you want. Even if you choose bigger amps you can still use Sonos or Musicast apps to control. Yamaha’s XDA QS5400 is pretty cool 4 zone 8 channel streaming amp. Most of Yamahas audio is musicast compatible, A/V receivers, sound bars, portable speakers. all of the home can be controlled from their app, up to 24 zones I think. I have 1 home with 9 zones 22 speakers. You could always do a full home control system, but these work well for a lot less $$.
audio products are in very short supply right now, you can pm me for Sonos or Yamaha pricing.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have Sonos speakers in our new house and on the patio. We have the sound bar as well under our 85" Samsung TV. I LOVE the speakers. Funny thing is that I gave my husb a hard time when he insisted that we do the Sonos upgrade in the house. Shortly after we moved in I had to confess that he was sooo right. I use the speakers everyday. The Sonos app is easy to use too.

dave29

Reaction score
I put in a Beam, subs and surrounds. Install was kind od a PITA. You really need to be persistent and creative to solve problems. There are no written instructions only the ap. I called their tech line twice and ended up in foreign countries with tech's that wanted to take control of my computer to access my router. Not!
Now that it's up and running I'm happy. Love the center channel on the Beam. It really helps you understand the dialogue if you have slight hearing issues.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I bought the playbar when costco had it on sale is there a big sound difference between it and the arc soundbar?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
When I did my house I used almost all Monoprice stuff and was amazed by the quality and the price!

Same here, I did all monoprice with a Denon Receiver. It sounds fantastic for the small amount of $$ I have into it, and its held up well. All the monoprice stuff is well over 5 yrs old now and still doing great.

gmnhra

Reaction score
Roger. Make sure you plan for the "what do I do if Sonos stops supporting my hardware" moment when you are running wire, etc. Any of that stuff that relies on software updates to keep working should be considered semi-disposable. That is why I like to keep the main infrastructure like amps, speakers, distribution separate from the whiz bang stuff like streaming devices.

I would probably do home runs to a closet for all of the speakers and then figure it out from there. Then use multi channel amps like this (just an example, not a recommendation):

Alternatively, you could use the Sonos amps in the closet if you still want the Sonos integration. With the home runs, you aren't stuck with a specific technology driven topology.
So the Sonos sytem i described is at the lake
at home i do the old school setup like this but miss the "app" control of sonos sometimes. Also old school volume controls in each room so you have to get off your ass and turn it up or down...

Would be awesome if there was a multi channel distribution amp that had individual Alexa or app controlled volume...

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I have Sonos around the house, which i love, and Bose wireless for my TV. Anyone know if I could merge them all to play music?

HBCraig

Reaction score

This @JM21

I have Sonos for the center speaker and hard wired my rear speakers. Works great

JM21

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am most definitely hard wiring everything during framing for changeability later but I think I am sold on Sonos. I have sold multi million dollar homes that had Sonos and during showings I just walk in and it connects, no drama and very easy.

I plan on doing Arc sound bar and sub for Main living room TV, in ceiling speakers for kitchen, in ceiling for master & master bath, and another in ceiling set and a sub for the garage (or maybe just another Arc and sub), then one more outdoor set for pool and backyard. Not cheap but a friend of mine just finished his house and gave me a demo last night. Very impressive stuff in my opinion.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

We’ve got Origin D Series for our home theater and it’s impressive.

But my new gig is with Harman and I get everything at cost, so I might be upgrading LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RCDave

Reaction score

But my new gig is with Harman and I get everything at cost, so I might be upgrading LOL

Harman kardon?

Universal Elements

Reaction score

Damn, you can get some kickass Mark Levinson amps/pre amps. Harman owns them.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
For really great information, give Lorne at Havasu Wiring a call. He did Sonos at my Havasu home inside and outside. It is really awesome

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
I made the mistake of going with the Denon system first, and what junk. I don't even know what happened to them - In a box somewhere waiting for a death at the dump I would assume. Love Sonos. I went with speakers in every room, so I can keep them at a steady volume as I walk around the house, opposed to having a couple speakers blasting in one room to get the sound to another. Have a combo of the small speakers, a few amps for speakers outside in ceiling, and though the sub is a bit pricey, it works great. I've never seen a promocode.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
So the Sonos sytem i described is at the lake
at home i do the old school setup like this but miss the "app" control of sonos sometimes. Also old school volume controls in each room so you have to get off your ass and turn it up or down...

Would be awesome if there was a multi channel distribution amp that had individual Alexa or app controlled volume...

See my post above. Yamaha XDA S 5400 4 zone dist amp. Musicast controlled. If you need more zones you can add more of their single zone amps or 4 zone amps.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Harman kardon?

Harman International.
HK is a brand they own…they own a ton of premium audio brands [emoji106]

IMG_6829.PNG

Damn, you can get some kickass Mark Levinson amps/pre amps. Harman owns them.

For sure!
I have to wait and see what the employee store looks like. My first day is Monday.

The Lexus partnership with ML really changed the game for car audio back on the day.

A few years back Mark Levinson made a table book celebrating the brand. I helped write the Lexus chapter and I’m honored that they quoted me in it [emoji4]

Funny thing:
I brokered the deal for the ad agency I worked at, to become ML’s ad agency. And ML became our client.

So now I’ll be the client LOL

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I wish the Sonos amp had Bluetooth.

I have access to Sonos from my distributor but have chosen to use Yamaha, I’m surprised the amp doesn’t have Bluetooth?the Yamaha does.