WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sony Xplod Question

Mike K

Reaction score
I put this post in the 'Audio" section but not much play there right now ... My boat is a 2009. I have upgraded the speakers and amps but I haven't upgraded the old stereo which is "not" bluetooth ... which means I have to use an "in the way" cord to connect my phone for music.
If I buy a new bluetooth stereo will my three built in Sony Xplod remotes still work? I like the Xplod remotes because they give you good access to the volume etc ... but if I get a new bluetooth stereo do they still work? Thanks

SPL2K

Reaction score
If your existing Sony remotes have a display, they will not work with a new Sony Bluetooth head unit. If your current remotes do not have display, they will work. BUT.. The new Sony Bluetooth head units are horrible.
Your best bet would be to replace the head unit and remotes with Rockford Fosgate or Kenwood. Those are the 2 best options for boats that have existing remotes.

Mike K

Reaction score
If your existing Sony remotes have a display, they will not work with a new Sony Bluetooth head unit. If your current remotes do not have display, they will work. BUT.. The new Sony Bluetooth head units are horrible.
Your best bet would be to replace the head unit and remotes with Rockford Fosgate or Kenwood. Those are the 2 best options for boats that have existing remotes.

Mike K

Reaction score
Thanks for the info ... the main problem is ... if I change the remotes to something different obviously they will not have the same size and shape to slip into the 3 inch holes where my 3 remotes are now. When you say if my remotes have a "display" ... do you mean a screen on the remotes that show any text etc? Cuz I do have little screens on the remotes ... they show how high the volume is etc. Well it looks like I have to stay with a my old skool wired head unit if I want the remotes to work. Thanks for your time.