WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sooo why all the hype about outboards?

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Can some one explain to me why outboards are all the rage right now? Besides easier to work on and potential more room in the boat. Why?

hallett21

Reaction score
They’ve always been better. Just took a while for the masses to get smart [emoji6].

Power to weight ratio as well as reliability. Most I/O guys cringe at running WOT for extended runs. Outboards can run for 30,60,or 90 mins WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
They run hard A/F but to me a boat with an outboard looks like an afterthought. "Look at this boat, it looks badass and fast. Oh shit we forgot to put an engine in it, let's just put this on the back". I can't get over the afterthought look.

Mototrig

Reaction score
They run hard A/F but to me a boat with an outboard looks like an afterthought. "Look at this boat, it looks badass and fast. Oh shit we forgot to put an engine in it, let's just put this on the back". I can't get over the afterthought look.
IMG_20171121_190516.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I'm an outboard fan LoL

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
They’ve always been better. Just took a while for the masses to get smart [emoji6].

Power to weight ratio as well as reliability. Most I/O guys cringe at running WOT for extended runs. Outboards can run for 30,60,or 90 mins WOT.

So running twin 300Rs would be more efficient and long lasting then a single 600sci? I understand they run higher rpms but what about the drag from an extra drive in the water?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Can some one explain to me why outboards are all the rage right now? Besides easier to work on and potential more room in the boat. Why?

In a word...

Maintenance.

Or lack their of to be exact.

Keep in mind, a car/truck engine was never designed to be in a boat. The Wacker was designed for the water from the ground up.

The new super charged ones are unreal. Massive power with or so little weight compared to an inboard set up.

It just took awhile for the masses to figure it out.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
So running twin 300Rs would be more efficient and long lasting then a single 600sci? I understand they run higher rpms but what about the drag from an extra drive in the water?
Much more efficient at the same speed.

300s will be substantially faster top speed.

The rebuild interval of the 600sci is pathetic at best.

RCDave

Reaction score
Because it's so awesome to smoke the IO's and jets wit equal or much more power. An example. A 300xs on a 22' tunnel hull = 92-94mph. How much HP would it take to push an equal size boat with a jet? An I/o?

And that 300xs at cruising Speed. Gets 4-6 mpg.....

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
The new outboards, ie verados life is measured in thousands of hours.
Not real frequent you hear of a stern drive or any other car motor lasting that long.
No standing on your head in a bilge to service it either.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Oh, warranties are pretty incredible too. Up to 7 years on the merc stuff, 10 on a johnnyrude. (Everyone know that the last guy to the other end of the lake has a little Johnson, so, there's that....)
:p:p

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have been looking through all kinds of stuff on this very subject. I can do a fair amount of V8 automotive stuff. Cars with EFI, turbos and blowers...go fast or go boom stuff. The packaging of the outboards are bitchin. One of the gents in the "Church" gave me a link to Merc's site of outboard diagrams. It is a more advanced mechanical design:eek:. I am intrigued by all things mechanical. They are pretty amazing. But...like all things boat related...the dollar to horsepower ratio is staggering.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
I have been looking through all kinds of stuff on this very subject. I can do a fair amount of V8 automotive stuff. Cars with EFI, turbos and blowers...go fast or go boom stuff. The packaging of the outboards are bitchin. One of the gents in the "Church" gave me a link to Merc's site of outboard diagrams. It is a more advanced mechanical design:eek:. I am intrigued by all things mechanical. They are pretty amazing. But...like all things boat related...the dollar to horsepower ratio is staggering.
A pair of 300Rs would be a cheaper purchase then a 600sci package?

H2O

Reaction score
If you log a lot of hours, maintaining Outdrives is a buzz kill too...

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Why they have been undercover for so long.Chevy,ford and mopar car engines are cheap.OB'S make a ton of hp for the weight and will see more soon.

Riley1

Reaction score
I’ve been an outboard guy my whole life. Only have an I/O because the wife wanted a big block. She’ll be the first one to tell you “Now” that our boat would be better with an outboard.

When I met her, she made fun of me for having an “eggbeater “.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been an outboard guy my whole life. Only have an I/O because the wife wanted a big block. She’ll be the first one to tell you “Now” that our boat would be better with an outboard.

When I met her, she made fun of me for having an “eggbeater “.
She will correct that soon.:D

Mototrig

Reaction score
Because it's so awesome to smoke the IO's and jets wit equal or much more power. An example. A 300xs on a 22' tunnel hull = 92-94mph. How much HP would it take to push an equal size boat with a jet? An I/o?

THIS!!

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
She was actually ready to sell our boat for a Mach 22 with a 300.
And that would be an ideal boat once we build in Willow Valley.
But might render the 18’ Bahner outboard useless.
I live in Willow,would be nice to meet you.

Riley1

Reaction score
I live in Willow,would be nice to meet you.
We just bought dirt on spruce st. Will be out at the needles boat show.
Probably over a year from building. I’m thinking about getting power first so we can at least take the RV out there until we build

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Tree side.....:DBird side here.Get the power first and if you need help let me know.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I like them outboards .
But nothing beats the sound of a big cubic inches, through a set of headers.
That has been one of the hardest parts to get used to is not hearing that sound when I turn the key on these 300s! I get over it pretty quickly when I put the headsets on and lean the sticks forward with little worry!

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what does a 600sci cost, plus a legit drive? 300’rs can be had brand new well under $30k per motor. Now factor in maintenance, warranty, etc.

Mototrig

Reaction score
I grew up down the street from Al Stoker's race shop (John's Custom Marine). When I was a kid in the late 80's and early 90's we bought all all our boat parts from their shop. On the showroom floor John's always had a couple of 20.5ft Mod-V boats with 225-300 Rude power. I was always fascinated how so much power and speed could be produced from such a small powerplant.

I'm a weedwacker fan for life

RCDave

Reaction score
I like them outboards .
But nothing beats the sound of a big cubic inches, through a set of headers.
It's really hard to hear that big block when you're out front to far. But love the sound too

Hullbilly

Reaction score

Lol I used to say my 29 with twins would burn 1.5GPM. gallons per minute

Whackers are way cool, and the new V8’s have this guy drooling

Loo Dog

Reaction score
I think high 50s for the complete package
So roughly the same price for a 600sci with drive as twin 300R’s. Weight savings, maintenance and warranty issues makes me lean toward the twin whackers. Plus the low speed maneuvering advantage of twin outboards. Not to mention builders are now adapting to open up additional space in the boats specifically for outboard power. The huge engine bay real estate required for inboard power can’t be overlooked. More room in the cockpit AND more storage under the hatch is a win for an outboard setup.

hallett21

Reaction score
I would love to see one of the new motors on a serious drag boat effort.

Why? If you want to be the fastest you can spend cubic dollars to get there. Always been a fact that the most money spend = the fastest boat.

brgrcru

Reaction score
It's really hard to hear that big block when you're out front to far. But love the sound too

I had a 20' Schiada with a egg beater on it, and I liked it . I hAve nothing against OB .
Would love to have a nice DCB 22' lower River OB

I'm just a poor small boat guy . 19' and under . Yet I have never lost a river race to OB in my California performance up to 600 feet . After that I can care less .
My Cole flat has a simple 468 . It has no chance against the jet .

Big block motors with EFI I know nothing about .

I'm a simple man .
And enjoy shallow water.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Why? If you want to be the fastest you can spend cubic dollars to get there. Always been a fact that the most money spend = the fastest boat.

This was not the case with Eddie Knox.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Whip out your calculator and do some math.
The 400R is making 400 hp from 2.6 liters.
That’s 153.8 hp per liter.
It’s a 7,000rpm screamer that runs on pump gas with a warranty and an engine lifespan rated in thousands of hours.
To put it in perspective the Merc 600sci is making 73hp per liter.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Whip out your calculator and do some math.
The 400R is making 400 hp from 2.6 liters.
That’s 153.8 hp per liter.
It’s a 7,000rpm screamer that runs on pump gas with a warranty and an engine lifespan rated in thousands of hours.
To put it in perspective the Merc 600sci is making 73hp per liter.

Gelcoater is 100% on it. It’s the lack of bullshit. They are turn key power

You go east of arizona and outdrives are hard to find

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Me being a pavement guy, by birth and choice, the outboards kind of frighten me. I've had V-drives, jets and one outdrive. I do my own maintenance, and when called for my own engine work. An outboard has the motor standing on it's end, and some odd induction and exhaust. Weird stuff going on. I am pretty traditional, usually stuff between 330ci to the 540ci range. Yes, stuff does break. When those break, I have no problem pulling them down, and seeing what needs fixing. I know outboards don't break often, but everything does eventually. When they break, do they lunch the block (case, crank housing, whatever they call it)? How much can be squeezed out of a 300r? How the hell do you dyno them? I understand outboards are purpose built, but a bbc based engine has evolved for over 50 years, and the LS based stuff has quickly surpassed them in the last 20. My main problem is I learned stuff the old fashioned way. Bought stock crap, ran it till it broke. Fix and build the broken stuff with bigger better stuff. Rinse and repeat. 300r's aren't plentiful cores laying around to butcher and play with. Not to mention, putting a 300r on either of my current boats would be kind of like putting a diamond on a goat's ass! Wasted bling:D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Gelcoater is 100% on it. It’s the lack of bullshit. They are turn key power

You go east of arizona and outdrives are hard to find
Doing more math:cool:
A Mercury 1350 is “almost” as efficient, at 150/liter.
The 1550 is surpassing at 170+ but runs on race gas to do it.
The 400 is top tier tech and performance offered to the masses, more or less common man.
It’s a much easier pill to swallow than a 1350:D

dave29

Reaction score
I had a DCB M35. When I was in Havasu storing my boat at the Islander, items like servicing etc were no problem with the local experts like AJ at Barrett. Moved my boat to Antelope at Powell and guess what....zero maintenance people there. Drive and motor fluid changes, water pumps etc you do yourself in 115 degree temps which I did. Then I decided I didn't need to go 140 mph every day so I ordered a M29 twin 300 outboard set up. Surprise, there are quite a few Mercury certified outboard folks out there. Also, the miles per gallon was double that of my M35 with two 700 Mercs cruising at 85 mph. Why outboards? Unless you really need 135mph plus, it's just an easier life.