WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SOS help needed. 496 water pump replacement

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Helping a friend change out the pump to get out on lake. Anyone have a video of the process

meecrusier 496 mag
image.jpg
image.jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
What part are you struggling with, are you changing the brass pump for the Hardin ss one?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Easy swap since you have good access to the front of the engine. You don't need to undo any hoses just the bolts that hold the pump on. Leave the back of the pump on the motor. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Can‘t seam to get the old one out. Pump and bracket is loose. Looks like the hose might be holdiNg it in place

Boat 405

Reaction score
The two halves of the pump should separate making it able to remove the old front half and install the new front half.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
The two halves of the pump should separate making it able to remove the old front half and install the new front half.

Ok, going to try that angle. The space is a little small for. A couple of old fat fucks. LOL

Boat 405

Reaction score
Ok, sold. We have the beers when are you able to come on over.
Damn, if I was in town I'd be there in a minute. I've done two of them one on my 25 daytona was easy with plenty of access, the second I did on my buddies conquest that had zero access and was a bitch but still done in under 2 hours.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
It happens. Powertune makes a great hose lubricant to help loosen the hoses

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any shops are open today?

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Next option we are looking for a malnourished Chinese contortionist. Anyone have a lead on one?

how much cup of noodle should we expect to shell out?

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any shops are open today?

No one? Got 5 out of the 6 bolts out. We are just trying to give a kid a ride on a boat for his b-day.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Where are you at doing this? Can you bring to my house?

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
We are doing it at our house on Jamaica. Sending you a PM

572ext

Reaction score
Pull the idler pulls and then pull the idler pulley bracket then pull the sea pump forward then pull the hoses off put on bench then install new pump

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Pull the idler pulls and then pull the idler pulley bracket then pull the sea pump forward then pull the hoses off put on bench then install new pump

That was my next thought. Looks like the ideler assembly is in the way as well

Universal Elements

Reaction score
All you have to do is take off the two nuts (21) and remove the bolt at 23 (above). Remove the two clamps on the hoses. Everything will slide out forward. You may have enough hose length to remove the clamps when everything slides forward. Don’t forget to remove the electrical connector. Doing it this way you don’t have to loosen the belt tensioner either. The belt will go on with no problem and will be tight. Use two zip ties on the new impeller to squeeze it and put some dishwashing soap on it. It will be easy to install. Put everything back together well the pump is out. All the bolts and everything. All you have to do is just slide everything back in the way it came out.

15C0F898-9635-4D37-9150-03E7EB371D0E.jpeg

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
All you have to do is take off the two nuts (21) and remove the bolt at 23 (above). Remove the two clamps on the hoses. Everything will slide out forward. You may have enough hose length to remove the clamps when everything slides forward. Don’t forget to remove the electrical connector. Doing it this way you don’t have to loosen the belt tensioner either. The belt will go on with no problem and will be tight. Use two zip ties on the new impeller to squeeze it and put some dishwashing soap on it. It will be easy to install. Put everything back together well the pump is out. All the bolts and everything. All you have to do is just slide everything back in the way it came out.

View attachment 902865

Thanks. Mike came over to lend a hand and knowledge. We have it off now just trying to install the new one.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

View attachment 902865
This! Hardest part is getting the hoses off. My engine compartment was cramped also.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Also...your malnourished Chinese contortionist post got me thinking...as tight as some boats are...there might be a market in Havasu for a little short skinny fuck who can operate a wrench. Just think of all the labor saved from not pulling seats out!

Where’s that guy from Oceans 11?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

This you have to pull the idler off, then the pump assembly will come out.