WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Soup Day

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It's a tradition that the first cold weekend I make a big batch of Gringo Posole...

Cold... check
Rainy... check
Soup... check

Went all out this year and did home-made stock, the house smells awesome. Added the Hominy, Ancho chilli, shredded chicken to the stock a little bit ago, it'll simmer until we eat with the hominy soaking up all the goodness.

Start with a cut up whole fryer. Lighty brown up the chicken in a large stock pot, in batches with a little olive oil to start (the fat from the skin will take it from there). Set the chicken aside and add a rough chopped onion, 3 or four celery stalks roughly chopped, a couple carrots cut into big chunks, half a dozen smashed cloves of garlic and brown those up in the chicken fat.

Pour a gallon of water over the veggies and add the chicken back in along with a small handful of pepper corns, a good amount of salt, and a couple bay leaves. Bring back to a boil, reduce to a strong simmer.

Remove the chicken after 20 minutes and cut the meat from the bones, then put the bones back into the stock and simmer for another hour or so, till it's deep brown and tasty.

Shred the chicken removing the skin and chewy parts.

Once the stock is finish, strain into a 6 qt pot and return to the stove on medium heat (it'll take it a bit to come back to a strong simmer).

Drain a 28 oz can of hominy and rinse clean. Add the hominy to the pot.

Finally chop up a half dozen ancho chillis in adobo and add to the pot, add a spoon full of adobo if you want more spicy flavor.

I add dried mushrooms that have be reconstituted to give a little earthy flavor, but you can skip this if you want.

Add the shredded chicken back the pot.

Bring it all back to a simmer and reduce the heat to keep from boiling. Simmer for as long as you like.

Serve with sour cream and chopped up cilantro. I put out tortilla chips to go along with the soup.

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
That sounds excellent. Too much work for me though. Where can I buy some??? Lol.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
That sounds excellent. Too much work for me though. Where can I buy some??? Lol.

LOL, that's why I only make it once a year.

You can make a "quick" version with two 32oz boxes of store bought chicken stock and one of those rotisserie chickens they sell in the deli.

Chop up an onion, a couple of carrots and a Pablano chille.

Cook the veggies in the pot with a couple tablespoons of olive oil until the onions are clear and the chille has softened.

Add a tablespoon of chopped garlic for about a minute, until it's fragrant.

Then add the chicken stock and hominy, bring that to a good simmer.

Shred the chicken.

Add the Ancho chille with the adobo to taste, then add the chicken.

Let it cook for 45 minutes or so and enjoy with a scoop of sour cream and chopped cilantro.

A note about salt and pepper in soups. Most recipes say to add it at the end "to taste". I add a little at each step and taste as I go along, tasting to make sure it's good. That keeps the soup from being "salty", which happens when you dump a bunch in at the end, but not under seasoned.

Last edited: