Sous Vide

BingerFang

Reaction score
If you don’t know, now ya know!

37AC054D-0914-4495-904B-4162268245FF.jpeg

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Use it all the time.......Best way to make tender melt in the mouth beef fajitas:D

Meaney77

Reaction score
Also have one and use it quite a bit. We do a lot of steaks, tri tips, and lamb- also use it to poach a shit load of eggs at one time for eggs Benedict- they work really well!

rightytighty

Reaction score
So my wife tells me I’m not supposed to drink water from a plastic bottle that got hot while sitting in my car....

But it’s ok to encapsulate my food in plastic and let it sit in way hotter water...

Way too confusing for me....

sintax

Reaction score
So my wife tells me I’m not supposed to drink water from a plastic bottle that got hot while sitting in my car....

But it’s ok to encapsulate my food in plastic and let it sit in way hotter water...

Ah we're all gonna die anyway... At least you'll get to enjoy a tasty steak before you go!

In all honesty shes likely right, I try to avoid all things plastic whenever I can. I try to buy only USA made plastic vac bags, so maybe i'll die less quickly?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

I agree Neil. No thanks to a boiled steak. LOL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old Texan

Reaction score
I agree Neil. No thanks to a boiled steak. LOL.

It's nothing near being boiled. The water temp raises the temp of the meat and breaks down the protein. The water never touches the meat which is in a sealed bag. A constant temperature is maintained and that is the key to the process.

After a steak is maintained at a tem[p of say 115 to 120 for several hours or more, it is removed and then grilled to get the char you are used to.....Not even remotely resembling something that is openly boiled @ 212.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
It's nothing near being boiled. The water temp raises the temp of the meat and breaks down the protein. The water never touches the meat which is in a sealed bag. A constant temperature is maintained and that is the key to the process.

After a steak is maintained at a tem[p of say 115 to 120 for several hours or more, it is removed and then grilled to get the char you are used to.....Not even remotely resembling something that is openly boiled @ 212.
I was joking. I know it isn't directly boiled in water, and that it is grilled before serving. It looks interesting. I will try it one of these days.

wrightman11

Reaction score
This is the best way to do the Ribe Eye Ends.

Here’s how I did a large Porter House though !

Heavy Salt & Heavy Burbon Black Pepper

Wrap in cheese cloth or paper towel for 36-48 on wire rack in fridge. (Pulling moisture & these plenty in this monster cut)

Remove cloth re pepper only.

Cast iron almost too hot.

Three pads buttski and touch of olive oil

Half garlic head

Sear for I can’t remember because I got LUCKY !
Like 6-7 min each side.

Remove and place on hell fire periodically closing lid and building smoke.

Then eat it when ur done.

IMG_4322.jpg
IMG_4340.jpg
IMG_4323.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk View attachment 837610 View attachment 837609 View attachment 837608 View attachment 837607 View attachment 837606 View attachment 837605 View attachment 837604 View attachment 837603 View attachment 837602

Old Texan

Reaction score
What needs to be kept in mind, is the beef we buy in markets is most often not aged to breakdown the proteins, unless marked as such. Choice and prime cuts will still be tender, but nowhere near properly aged beef served in high end restaurants.

wrightman11

Reaction score
Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Sous vide cooking is awesome but it's not always best for everything. We use it primarily for chicken and pork - best you'll likely be able to make yourself - most tender, juicy and delicious.

As for steak the jury is still out... http://cookfearless.com/sous-vide-vs-grilled-steak/

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Sous vide cooking is awesome but it's not always best for everything. We use it primarily for chicken and pork - best you'll likely be able to make yourself - most tender, juicy and delicious.

As for steak the jury is still out... http://cookfearless.com/sous-vide-vs-grilled-steak/
What a horrible test. They overcooked the SV cut and wondered why people werent "overwhelmed" with it over the traditional steak? Kathleen should probably say out of the kitchen.
From my experience, Reverse sear will always be the superior way to cook a steak. SV will always be the superior way to cook bigger cuts like tris and roasts. Fat=flavor and youll never be able render the fat on a pan or grill the way you do from a SV or RS

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
Too much work. A searzall is well worth the investment.
Throw some mayo on the protein, Sear it, done

I had one for a while, did a good amount of testing on it. The $10 cast iron pan performed better overall.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Recipe please [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Salt, pepper, garlic,

155 for 36 hours (can go up to 48). Shock it in an ice bath when done and put in fridge for up to 4 days until ready to smoke. When smoking fire up smoker to 225 and heat it up for 2 hours. Its cheating its so good.

Same thing for pulled pork (24 hours)

Pork Ribs (12-18 hours) I have a killer recipe for left over pork rib meat grilled cheese sandwich if that does anything for you.

jones performance

Reaction score
ive had a ribeye prepared with this method, i didnt care for it. i think it would be great for other cuts (filet for example) and other meats.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Salt, pepper, garlic,

155 for 36 hours (can go up to 48). Shock it in an ice bath when done and put in fridge for up to 4 days until ready to smoke. When smoking fire up smoker to 225 and heat it up for 2 hours. Its cheating its so good.

Pork Ribs (12-18 hours) I have a killer recipe for left over pork rib meat grilled cheese sandwich if that does anything for you.
I sous vida picnics and pork shoulders every time I make pulled pork these days. Overnight for 24, then in the oven at 500 long enough to get a nice sear, then braise at 220 for 2-3 hours. Rest it and pulls easy.

sintax

Reaction score
Salt, pepper, garlic,

but but but....what about the bark? Thats the ONLY reason I brisket.

Cdog

Reaction score
I like the smoke flavor the wood charcoal provides on the green egg. While tender it’s missing that extra something when I do the SV method.

i do ribeyes 4 inch thick now. For family of 4. Salt pepper garlic. Sear for 4-5 minutes per side then turn the heat off and let it bake on the egg till rare. Best method ever.

Old Texan

Reaction score
ive had a ribeye prepared with this method, i didnt care for it. i think it would be great for other cuts (filet for example) and other meats.
Did you finish it on a hot grill? To me that is the key. Gotta get a char.

Fillets are to lean to really make much difference. Skirt steak for fajitas is outstanding. 18-24 @ 120, 5 minutes on hot grill to char, and cuts with a fork, juicy and tender as hell

Old Texan

Reaction score
I like the smoke flavor the wood charcoal provides on the green egg. While tender it’s missing that extra something when I do the SV method.

i do ribeyes 4 inch thick now. For family of 4. Salt pepper garlic. Sear for 4-5 minutes per side then turn the heat off and let it bake on the egg till rare. Best method ever.
I did a select prime rib for my SiL and it came out extremely tender and juicy. You get the sear with a 500 deg oven for 15-20 minutes. The cook until internal temp is 120-5. Rare to med rare on ends

jones performance

Reaction score
Did you finish it on a hot grill? To me that is the key. Gotta get a char.

Fillets are to lean to really make much difference. Skirt steak for fajitas is outstanding. 18-24 @ 120, 5 minutes on hot grill to char, and cuts with a fork, juicy and tender as hell

i didnt cook it, someone that uses that technique all the time cooked em, and yes it was seared on a hot grill. i didnt care for it.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I'm pretty big into Sous Vide for the past few years, and I agree it is not the best method for everything, but there is no denying its utility as well. Doing a chuck roast for 48 hours and turning into a quality cut cannot be rivaled, and cooking chicken and pork to pasteurization without them getting dry is another avenue they shine. Also, desserts done in mason jars, pot de creme and creme brule, I can never get the consistency and texture I want any other way.

But beside all that, the best is cooking for events with it, since you now have a huge window in where you can serve it. Say you are doing a tri tip, and everyone is late, so what if it cooks for another hour, its still ready to rock and roll. Take out and sear when ready to go. Edge to edge color on rarer cuts is awesome to, not just the center

sousvide3.jpg
sousvide4.jpg
sousvide5.jpg
sousvide6.jpg
sousvide7.jpg

BingerFang

Reaction score
That was my first steak Sous Vide style, definitely need to work on the searing part. It looks like the Searzall is sold out until March, so I'll just buy the torch and try it that way for the time being.

I was amazed the way the steak came out, going to try chicken next.

Old Texan

Reaction score
i didnt cook it, someone that uses that technique all the time cooked em, and yes it was seared on a hot grill. i didnt care for it.
Could be a number of things. Too long with a marinade is not good. I do not even season the meat until after it's removed and goes to the grill with steaks. A choice or prime cut needs no marinade and no more seasoning than salt and pepper in my opinion. All the sous vida is intended to do is break down the proteins which tenderizes the cut as proper aging does. It can improve a lesser cut, but to me does little for properly aged better cut.

My Grandson is a chef and they worked on the technique for a month at Cordon Bleu. That's where I get my tips and advice.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I like where this thread is going

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Yep, I like it for the river too, but a prime rib in the bath in the morning, come back 8 hours later, all you have to do is sear, cut, and serve, safe as possible drawing low voltage, cooked inside not heating up the place, and if you get back an hour early or late, no big deal.

Heating up the house is a major thing with me in the summer, I use my circulator and cook sous vide to avoid using the oven.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Yes please [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok so I Sous Vide and Smoked the Ribs, then set out to make an epic sando from farmer's market ingredients.

Take sourdough, and cut a couple of slices off. Melt some butter in a bowl and dunk one side of the bread into the butter.

Whip up some Garlic Aioli using Mayo, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper (or something similar)

50grams of white cheddar and 50g of sharp orange cheddar shredded

Dill pickle chips and pickled red onion

mustard.

debone and dice the rib meat.

Assemble all ingredients , mustard on one bread and the aioli on the other (opposite the buttered sides) and put over medium heat in a pan. Flip occasionally to get a even dark brown and use a sandwich press.

This was sublime. Seriously.

sintax

Reaction score
That was my first steak Sous Vide style, definitely need to work on the searing part. It looks like the Searzall is sold out until March, so I'll just buy the torch and try it that way for the time being.

I was amazed the way the steak came out, going to try chicken next.

dont waste your time or money. A $10 lodge cast iron skillet will do a better job, and you can throw away all your shitty teflon coated pans and quit poisoning your family at the same time.

sintax

Reaction score
2-3 hours will give you a bark. lower the temp and go 4 hours if you need more.

i'm willing to give it a try, for science reasons, but I have my doubts.

I normally rock mine for 14 or so hours using real hardwood smoke, I cant imagine 2-3 hrs is going to give me that level of bark.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
i'm willing to give it a try, for science reasons, but I have my doubts.

I normally rock mine for 14 or so hours using real hardwood smoke, I cant imagine 2-3 hrs is going to give me that level of bark.
Oh there's no way 4 hours is going to recreate 14 worth of bark. However 4 hours will give you a nice smoke ring and enough bark to satisfy most tastes.

Sous vide brisket for 36 hours breaks down the meat like a 14 hour cook would on a traditional smoker so after the sous vide you are just heating it up and imparting a smoke flavor. Bark will vary . SV brisket is so juicy though it may change the way you think of brisket.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Ok so I Sous Vide and Smoked the Ribs, then set out to make an epic sando from farmer's market ingredients.

Take sourdough, and cut a couple of slices off. Melt some butter in a bowl and dunk one side of the bread into the butter.

Whip up some Garlic Aioli using Mayo, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper (or something similar)

50grams of white cheddar and 50g of sharp orange cheddar shredded

Dill pickle chips and pickled red onion

mustard.

debone and dice the rib meat.

Assemble all ingredients , mustard on one bread and the aioli on the other (opposite the buttered sides) and put over medium heat in a pan. Flip occasionally to get a even dark brown and use a sandwich press.

This was sublime. Seriously.

Sounds good!! How long do you SV the ribs? I usually do the 3-2-1 method on the smoker, how do they compare ?

sintax

Reaction score
Oh there's no way 4 hours is going to recreate 14 worth of bark. However 4 hours will give you a nice smoke ring and enough bark to satisfy most tastes.

Sous vide brisket for 36 hours breaks down the meat like a 14 hour cook would on a traditional smoker so after the sous vide you are just heating it up and imparting a smoke flavor. Bark will vary . SV brisket is so juicy though it may change the way you think of brisket.

Makes sense. This might be a good method for camp trips. I can knock out the sous vide while on the water or bikes, and come back and just do 3 hr smoke on the Weber really quick to wake it up. I could be down for that, solid idea.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Makes sense. This might be a good method for camp trips. I can knock out the sous vide while on the water or bikes, and come back and just do 3 hr smoke on the Weber really quick to wake it up. I could be down for that, solid idea.

Along that line of reasoning. You can SV a brisket, put it in an ice bath for 30 minutes and then store it for up to 4-5 days. So cook it at home and just heat it up later.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Sounds good!! How long do you SV the ribs? I usually do the 3-2-1 method on the smoker, how do they compare ?

ribs are 12-18 hours depending on temp. The 321 is basically a braising method so the SV will make them more tender and utilizing the ice bath you can store them at a later date to heat up or smoke.

I've SV for a few years now and the biggest "wow" factor i have found is marrying the SV with smokers.

Old Texan

Reaction score
ribs are 12-18 hours depending on temp. The 321 is basically a braising method so the SV will make them more tender and utilizing the ice bath you can store them at a later date to heat up or smoke.

I've SV for a few years now and the biggest "wow" factor i have found is marrying the SV with smokers.
Bingo. To me it's a tenderizing method that makes the end result more of a no fail. Plus a great way to get the best out of otherwise tough cuts, which was why long smoking and braising methods have always been used.

BingerFang

Reaction score
73826EDE-48BF-4B8E-A253-B40D6CC26E7C.jpeg

I love this thing..... I need to get a cast iron skillet next, the torch doesn’t seem like it gets a good enough crust.

BingerFang

Reaction score
D855CA62-8068-46C5-88DA-8707EDFDE4BE.jpeg
Tri-tip came out perfect tonight.

Same color as GRADS VJ. Brown on the outside, pink on the inside.

BUSTI

Reaction score
View attachment 840193 Tri-tip came out perfect tonight.

Same color as GRADS VJ. Brown on the outside, pink on the inside.
I use mine for Tri-Tip all the time and it’s good but just not quite as good as cooking it over Red Oak. Santa Maria style. I’ve tried to sear it over oak after Sous Vide and there just is not enough time for the smoke to get into it deep enough.