WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sous Vide

BingerFang

Reaction score
I use mine for Tri-Tip all the time and it’s good but just not quite as good as cooking it over Red Oak. Santa Maria style. I’ve tried to sear it over oak after Sous Vide and there just is not enough time for the smoke to get into it deep enough.

I have yet to try it over red oak but it sounds delicious!

wrightman11

Reaction score
Deleted

Won’t let me post more than 1 photo

Attachments

• Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 96

Meaney77

Reaction score
I didnt take any pictures, but I did a smoked pork butt over the weekend and it turned out really damn good! Smoked for 4 hours and then Sous Vide at 160 for 24 hours. The amount of time these take to cook sometimes is ridic but it turned out really well and was super tender.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I typically use mine for chicken and pork chop, I leave the red meat to the cast iron or smoker. I had tried steaks before and wasn't thrilled. But reading about guys doing long soaks to tenderize I decided to try it. I used a london broil, left it in at 120 seasoned with garlic salt and pepper for about 10hrs. Then seared it off in cast iron. Flavor wise it was good, but I didn't really notice any improvement in tenderness. All in all, not bad but not sure I saw any great advantage.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I typically use mine for chicken and pork chop, I leave the red meat to the cast iron or smoker. I had tried steaks before and wasn't thrilled. But reading about guys doing long soaks to tenderize I decided to try it. I used a london broil, left it in at 120 seasoned with garlic salt and pepper for about 10hrs. Then seared it off in cast iron. Flavor wise it was good, but I didn't really notice any improvement in tenderness. All in all, not bad but not sure I saw any great advantage.

It's more of a convenience factor for me since I eat meat almost everyday of the week. You can let it cook for 2 hours or 12 hours while you're at work all day and it's ready to go when you get home.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

you can’t take London broil and think it’s going to be tender like a ribeye cap. Still need a quality cut of meat.

I just did 2 ny strips last night. 125 for 1.5 hrs. I haven’t noticed a difference going up to 4 hrs. So for me it’s just to make sure I don’t over cook the steak. That’s why I use it.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Did 48 hour short ribs this past weekend with some mashed potatoes.

A trick I learned was that if you get a fat separator you can use the bag juices and mix it with a gravy packet and it is pretty dam good. Just go easy on the salt when seasoning the meat before the bag.

If you really want to kick it up a notch use the separator and then use the left over juices to make a demiglace red wine pan sauce. Holy shit. now we're cooking.

WildWilly

Reaction score
you can’t take London broil and think it’s going to be tender like a ribeye cap. Still need a quality cut of meat.

I just did 2 ny strips last night. 125 for 1.5 hrs. I haven’t noticed a difference going up to 4 hrs. So for me it’s just to make sure I don’t over cook the steak. That’s why I use it.

I purely tried it because some of the previous comments saying letting it go long was akin to the low and slow smoke in breaking down the tissue to make typically tough cuts better. I didn't really expect some spectacular result, so I wasn't suprised. I'm not a fan of sous vide red meat and this definitely didn't change my mind lol

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I purely tried it because some of the previous comments saying letting it go long was akin to the low and slow smoke in breaking down the tissue to make typically tough cuts better. I didn't really expect some spectacular result, so I wasn't suprised. I'm not a fan of sous vide red meat and this definitely didn't change my mind lol

Gotcha..... I kind of did the same as well. I had bought a whole prime NY strip from costco and it was great..... We were running out and I thought I would try the choice one and let the steaks go for about 3 hrs in the sous vide and maybe it would be just as tender....Nope, but still good. Prime meat it prime meat.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

For a beef cut that changes to tender, get about that Chuck Roast life. Do a 24 or 48 hour cook on those and it really transforms them. The other is short rib, I myself love a braisy texture of short rib, but if someone wants a tender but steak like short rib, sous vide is the only way I know how to do that.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
For a beef cut that changes to tender, get about that Chuck Roast life. Do a 24 or 48 hour cook on those and it really transforms them. The other is short rib, I myself love a braisy texture of short rib, but if someone wants a tender but steak like short rib, sous vide is the only way I know how to do that.

So what do you do after the cook on the short rib to get rid of the grey look? I'll braise short ribs in cast iron pot in the oven for hours with a Burgundy wine sauce and either serve it with a risotto or mash taters...

Interested to hear more about the short ribs....

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I like to pre sear short ribs if they are going in the bath, and then usually a 24 hour cook, here is a video in the spirit of what I have done before, and will be my next go sauce wise. I am sure you might have heard of the channel before, I have learned a lot from it and do enjoy the videos, the guys grow on you :).

Drop the temp lower than this to like a 135 or 140 if you want a more steak like texture.

They have done short ribs a few different ways on this channel as well.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Wife’s is 8.5 months pregnant, she had a hankering for Surf and Turf and Surf the other night.

Ribeyes: 137 @ 4 hours
Tails: 137 @ 1 hour
Legs: 137 @ 30 mins

Charred the tails and steak on the grille. Anything bagel seasoning on the steak as a rub.
Perfection.

I thought it would overcook, but for fatty cuts like ribeye, the fat gets rendered perfectly at 137.

IMG_3159.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Wife’s is 8.5 months pregnant, she had a hankering for Surf and Turf and Surf the other night.

Charred the tails and steak on the grille. Anything bagel seasoning on the steak as a rub.
Perfection.

I thought it would overcook, but for fatty cuts like ribeye, the fat gets rendered perfectly at 137.

View attachment 972763

What’s your address?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score

Perfection.

View attachment 972763

Looks killer. 135 is my sweet spot and is where the fat starts to render well if you are worried about over cooking.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Since we bought the ribeyes and bugs at Costco, there’s plenty left for more meals [emoji4]

IMG_6140.JPG

Parboiled the lobster to make it easy to remove the meat, then put the lobster/butter/garlic into the water bath for 30 mins. Holy shit that’s amazing.

Garlic noodles on the side

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

Perfection.

View attachment 972763

I do my ribeyes at 138 myself for the reason that you have stated, Filet's and such when I sous vide I go 133 or so. Main thing with ribeyes is I definitely do the cast iron sear. I have a searzall which i was never too crazy about, but it gets the job done on leaner cuts to my satisfaction, but fattier ones are definitely going into the cast iron and some butter baste to finish at the end.

I mainly use sous vide for desserts these days, or when i am entertaining and don't know exactly when I will be serving, I will do the protein SV. I did a tri tip recently that I was really really pleased with though.

sousvide11.jpg