WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

South American gangs targeting affluent houses...how to be proactive

hboutlaw

Reaction score
We live in Huntington Beach and are seeing a huge increase in burglaries in the area. I think the police said there have already been 25-30 this year. We've found out that there is a South American gang operating in many affluent neighborhoods. This is happening all over CA. These gangs bring members into the country for a week or two to do the robberies then they leave and are replaced with a new set.
They know when the residents leave and hit the house while they are away. Several times the homeowners return while they burglars are still in the house...that is what happened last night.
We recently had a police officer meet with homeowners to discuss the rise in crime in the area, what the gangs are stealing and how this can be prevented. They focus on getting guns, cash, jewelry and purses and then anything else they can grab. Some of the break ins occur using an extension ladder and going through an upper balcony. Most people put the security cameras on the lower levels so he criminals are avoiding detection.
Security cameras are good and we have a lot in the area but they do not prevent anything.
We do not have gates. The cops said other neighborhoods in the area with gates have seen only a handful of break-ins. Gate take a long time to add to an existing community.
We could hire patrol service but they would probably be the same caliber of security at the Hollywood Bowl where Dave Chappell was attached.
We have a dog...Blue Heeler and she is aggressive towards people coming on the property. Maybe I need a few more.
I'm posting this because I'm looking for ideas:
How others have been proactive on protecting their home especially when you're away from the house.
How do you protect your cash and valuables?
Where should we focus our efforts for the best results. You can't hide everything in safes.
I'm working with other neighbors and would like to develop a proactive plan for the home and within the community so the criminals realize targeting our area is high risk and low return. This plan is also to help tamp down the fear neighbors are starting to show which can create other problems like not being proactive or being engaged in the community. So I'm reaching out to you guys for ideas you've seen work...and what doesn't work.

I appreciate any feedback

Cdog

Reaction score
Big dogs, cam systems with dvr & phone app access. Network with your neighbors.

My q garage door opener. I know who’s coming & going around my house.

hboutlaw

Reaction score
Unfortunately you are not being proactive any longer, you are now reacting.
At one point I was not being proactive. Now, I'm reacting to take a more proactive approach.
I like to think of solutions and this forum allows others to learn from how they solved problems and also what wasn't much use.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I read one of those yahoo articles regarding thieves giving tips on the things that bothered them the most.
One was lots of dogs. They said dogs weren’t fool proof as such as they might submit to treats to quiet them down but the noise factor could be a deterrent.
Next one was coating on windows. If windows don’t break easily they probably weren’t gonna spend a lot of time trying to break it unless there was a particular reason for that specific house.

4Waters

Reaction score
At one point I was not being proactive. Now, I'm reacting to take a more proactive approach.
I like to think of solutions and this forum allows others to learn from how they solved problems and also what wasn't much use.
I meant you were being proactive at the polls and now you are being reactive do to the morons.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Chilean Gangs! It's quite an ordeal these days. They invade house wearing backpacks, they go straight to the obvious places and grab jewelry and other small, valuable items. They are hitting many houses in nice areas.

This is a big reminder for everyone. Don't get lazy! If you or your loved ones stash valuables in the top drawer of your dresser or in your bathroom, they could be stolen, these people aren't stupid. Have all those valuable in a safe. Have lights on a timer etc...

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Chilean Gangs! It's quite an ordeal these days. They invade house wearing backpacks, they go straight to the obvious places and grab jewelry and other small, valuable items. They are hitting many houses in nice areas.

This is a big reminder for everyone. Don't get lazy! If you or your loved ones stash valuables in the top drawer of your dresser or in your bathroom, they could be stolen, these people aren't stupid. Have all those valuable in a safe. Have lights on a timer etc...
Had no idea about the Chileans. Looked it up. Lots of articles..fuckers did this

grumpy88

Reaction score
I dont understand why people think a camera is a deterrent ? It is for the neighborhood kid but not to illegal alien gang member . If you have nice stuff it needs to be in a real safe . What did the police officer who met with you and the others suggest ?

TCHB

Reaction score
We have security glass Windows, doors and cameras. If you do not have security Windows you can put clear security film On existing windows or glass doors.

hboutlaw

Reaction score
I dont understand why people think a camera is a deterrent ? It is for the neighborhood kid but not to illegal alien gang member . If you have nice stuff it needs to be in a real safe . What did the police officer who met with you and the others suggest ?
The officer suggested safe deposit boxes, cameras on the upper floors, get more big dogs and put valuables that you're not putting in a safe deposit box in a safe...bolted down.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
After the attemps on both my neighbors truck and mine we noticed that our cameras face away from our homes. The solution was we each mounted a few cameras on each other's homes facing ours. The wifi reaches acrossed the street. And we both get a birds eye view or our homes.

Won't stop anything. But I work 3 minutes from the house !!

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score

Plant thorny plants around any perimeter wall you have.

Also plant thorny plants around areas where they can break a window or gain access to an upper level.

Reinforce windows and glass doors with security bars and on all your hinges and locking hardware put 5” lag screws so they are into multiple layers of wood. Solid wood doors are the best as they don’t give east when pried on.

Forget a dog, get a goat. They will hip check everything and can’t be bought off by treats.

You can put punji stick traps around your property!

Or wait till the break in and shoot everyone of them…… oh wait you’re in California

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
"Don't we already have a thread about how great Southern California is?" - Exiled Moderator LargeOrangeFont

"Has anyone tried taping job applications to their doors and windows?" - Danger Dave

grumpy88

Reaction score
The officer suggested safe deposit boxes, cameras on the upper floors, get more big dogs and put valuables that you're not putting in a safe deposit box in a safe...bolted down.
I agree with most of that . Sadly i also think this is just the beginning . If we will not stop day time store robberies who is going to care about you and your family that dont make the news . Stay safe and stay armed .

badgas

Reaction score
Crazy!

Never heard of this.

Do what I can to stay safe. I live on a culdesac in a the middle of a houseing tract that took me 10 years to try and tell someone how to get to my house. Porch light always on, Motion lights on the driveway, Big loud barking dog and nothing of value that could be stolen. No fancy jewelry etc.

The only thing of value is on my hip.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
When I worked construction in Santa Ana, their PD was part of the permit process. They did alot to reduce break ins. More than us contractors wanted to add. But maybe give them a call. They are really good on lighting, landscaping, locksets, and I'm sure more.

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
As odd as it sounds I’d say be out front more. Although we live in the county, out in Bakersfield where everyone carry’s or is armed regardless of legality. We are out front 90% of the time when we are home, even though the backyard is nicer. Lol. We know all the cars that drive down our road, and have questioned a few that look like they have been lost. Also get all your neighbors on the same page. I’m fortunate that all my neighbors are retired and are home all day. Also one is a gun advocate. Not saying that gun people are less likely to get targeted, but when people are apprehensive or skiddish they usually just shut the garage, the door and peak out the window. Kinda says easy target. Besides that? Don’t know. If they hit when u are gone, u can’t do shit. Buy some real guard dogs. That’s my rant. Lol.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Bright lights make dark shadows. Don't use bright lights as accent lighting. Get Bright ass lights on well plased motion sensors, you could possibly add a audio deteraint. It wouldn't have to be obnoxious, a quick 80 decibel sound would set the nerves of the fucktards. It is when the settings change quickly that will make them look for easier targets

TimeBandit

Reaction score
A few weeks ago a neighbor a few streets over saw a strange SUV in front of his house when he and his wife came home.
As he entered his front door 2 thieves came running out, he hit the first one but tackled the second one and held him for the police.

South american. They are watching houses and timing the entry when nobody is home, his quick errand messed with that.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
😂

Attachments

• 20D85C48-D485-4B75-9F01-94E8CC5674C1.gif
    20D85C48-D485-4B75-9F01-94E8CC5674C1.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 37

grumpy88

Reaction score
Bright lights make dark shadows. Don't use bright lights as accent lighting. Get Bright ass lights on well plased motion sensors, you could possibly add a audio deteraint. It wouldn't have to be obnoxious, a quick 80 decibel sound would set the nerves of the fucktards. It is when the settings change quickly that will make them look for easier targets
And your neighbors will love it when your lights shine in there windows off and on all night . My neighbor has the frickin sensors set up to go off when a car drives down the street.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
And your neighbors will love it when your lights shine in there windows off and on all night . My neighbor has the frickin sensors set up to go off when a car drives down the street.
Part of Santa Ana's protocol was keeping your light on your property with shields at the time. Lenses are much better now at directing light, if the buyer pays attention to the pattern spread on the box.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We live in Huntington Beach and are seeing a huge increase in burglaries in the area. I think the police said there have already been 25-30 this year. We've found out that there is a South American gang operating in many affluent neighborhoods. This is happening all over CA. These gangs bring members into the country for a week or two to do the robberies then they leave and are replaced with a new set.
They know when the residents leave and hit the house while they are away. Several times the homeowners return while they burglars are still in the house...that is what happened last night.
We recently had a police officer meet with homeowners to discuss the rise in crime in the area, what the gangs are stealing and how this can be prevented. They focus on getting guns, cash, jewelry and purses and then anything else they can grab. Some of the break ins occur using an extension ladder and going through an upper balcony. Most people put the security cameras on the lower levels so he criminals are avoiding detection.
Security cameras are good and we have a lot in the area but they do not prevent anything.
We do not have gates. The cops said other neighborhoods in the area with gates have seen only a handful of break-ins. Gate take a long time to add to an existing community.
We could hire patrol service but they would probably be the same caliber of security at the Hollywood Bowl where Dave Chappell was attached.
We have a dog...Blue Heeler and she is aggressive towards people coming on the property. Maybe I need a few more.
How others have been proactive on protecting their home especially when you're away from the house.
Where should we focus our efforts for the best results. You can't hide everything in safes.
I'm working with other neighbors and would like to develop a proactive plan for the home and within the community so the criminals realize targeting our area is high risk and low return. This plan is also to help tamp down the fear neighbors are starting to show which can create other problems like not being proactive or being engaged in the community. So I'm reaching out to you guys for ideas you've seen work...and what doesn't work.

My first house was in a crappy neighborhood. It got broke into...once.

The cops told me they will be back in one year. Why? They know it takes that long to get your insurance money, and go out and replace your stuff. Get an alarm installed while you wait.

They came back almost a year to the date! The alarm went off and they split. All I got was a broken window.

Do your homework and find a good system. 👍🏼

Rondog4405

Reaction score
If their gonna get you they are gonna get you. Most I can do is watch them take my shit on my ring cams. Call the cops.. too late.. they are gone ..

Reactions: DWC

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have dogs inside and out. A few cameras. A couple great neighbors that are home more than we are. And of course a little somethin somethin if I’m home if and/or when shit might go down.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
This one is on the internet. A good friend has family in Central America (with a garage cam). Closing the garage door before they exited the vehicle and the thieves snuck in while the door was almost closed… he had a 9mm and nearly mag’d dumped it all…. put that sh!t to a stop.

Now it’s here. 😔

Thanks Joe

bk2drvr

Reaction score
When I read these posts I appreciate the fact that I live behind big gates with guards. While there are a lot of things I don’t like about associations I highly doubt my track would be a target for these guys. What a shame things have come to.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Post some bi - tri - lingual signs… cameras, dogs… and automatic self defense systems are active 24/7. Enter at your own risk.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
When I read these posts I appreciate the fact that I live behind big gates with guards. While there are a lot of things I don’t like about associations I highly doubt my track would be a target for these guys. What a shame things have come to.
The fact that you (we) have gates…. Says come rob us. I pity the idiot that comes if I’m home

socal0487

Reaction score
Oak Park resident took matters into his own hands when he came home to find Chilean burglars ransacking his house.

Attachments

• BC9986A1-8B92-4941-A84D-14BA95F124E1.jpeg
    BC9986A1-8B92-4941-A84D-14BA95F124E1.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 59

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Get a real gun safe, lag bolt that fucker down. Real deal gun safes take 4 guys and moving gear to get into your home when the forklift drops it off.

No one is getting shit out of it.

Big dogs, thorny plants backed up to fences go a long way as far as deterrents. My current household is so random, someone could be there at any time, I'm self employed, the owner and his ex with kids are in and out all day since he works random hours too every week.

He has a big sign on his gate, it shows a big picture of a boxer and it says under it in big letters:

"I can get to the fence in 3 seconds flat, can you?"

lantz

Reaction score

Is it really a South American gang operating all over CA? Shut your windows. Lock doors. Bring valuables in from any car parked in a driveway or on the street. There are plenty of local thieves that will take advantage of any easy target.

25-30 thefts in HB this year already? Is that it? It's May. I don't live in HB, but in my community, that is easily what happens each month here, and we are in a relatively calm, safe San Diego Community.

Fake news.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Maybe they are just there for the weather.... Racists :)

Where in HB do you live? Most of my friends live in the Heil and Edwards area and haven't dealt with any of this. Possibly because there is a high concentration of LEOs on the street. One of my staff has been in HB for 30 years and is calling it quits by EOY. She's near Brookhurst and PCH in a gated condo complex and a group of thieves jumped the fence and started breaking into cars and tried to get into her house at 2am. Luckily her dog alerted her and she started screaming out the window before they could break down the door.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Is it really a South American gang operating all over CA? Shut your windows. Lock doors. Bring valuables in from any car parked in a driveway or on the street. There are plenty of local thieves that will take advantage of any easy target.

25-30 thefts in HB this year already? Is that it? It's May. I don't live in HB, but in my community, that is easily what happens each month here, and we are in a relatively calm, safe San Diego Community.

Fake news.
25-30 break-ins a month in a community is calm and safe? Man, talk about skewed perspectives.

hboutlaw

Reaction score

Fake news.
I didn’t say thefts. These are break ins int homes. This is a relatively small community.