WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

South Lake Tahoe Info

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So I've mentioned once or twice that we added Tahoe to our road trip.

We're going to stay in Hard Rock South Lake Tahoe (Big parking lot and allow dogs) and try to go to a concert at Harvey's.

The item I can't find a lot of info on is ramps. Are there good ramps near South Lake Tahoe that will be open? Should I go up to Tahoe City, Carnelian Bay, Kings Beach? I only know the north side a little based on renting a couple boats with captains for a buddy's bachelor party in 2019.

I know about the inspection as well. I am going to book the inspection this weekend.

C08H18

Reaction score
I live here in summers. Boat kept In keys marina. That ramp is open. Also the cave rock public ramp is open. Both about 12 min from your hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Are you going to keep the boat in the water or pull it out every day?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I live here in summers. Boat kept In keys marina. That ramp is open. Also the cave rock public ramp is open. Both about 12 min from your hotel.

How much to launch at the keys? I thought I read some absurd amount.

Are you going to keep the boat in the water or pull it out every day?

Only boating one day on a Friday. So launch and trailer the same day.

PaPaG

Reaction score
You will have an Inspection fee and a launch fee.
Tahoe Launch Fees.JPG

GRADS

Reaction score
You will have an Inspection fee and a launch fee. View attachment 1015572
Their rates really fucked me on my 26' Eagle and 25' Daytona. Those boats would have been fine with a tandem axle trailer but I always ran triples. I remember one time a 40' Skater pulled in on a tandem axle dually wheels trailer...got the tandem price, meanwhile my 25' Daytona was over twice that price to launch?

GRADS

Reaction score
If you launch from the Keys with a triple axle your going to spend $300 before your boat even touches the water. (with inspection fee)

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
You will have an Inspection fee and a launch fee. View attachment 1015572
Their rates really fucked me on my 26' Eagle and 25' Daytona. Those boats would have been fine with a tandem axle trailer but I always ran triples. I remember one time a 40' Skater pulled in on a tandem axle dually wheels trailer...got the tandem price, meanwhile my 25' Daytona was over twice that price to launch?

Yeah, I saw that absurd fee chart.

Will they do the inspection at the Keys Marina? Or should I book an appointment at the Meyers Inspection Station?

GRADS

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that absurd fee chart.

Will they do the inspection at the Keys Marina? Or should I book an appointment at the Meyers Inspection Station?
They don't do it at the Keys, book at Meyers.

C08H18

Reaction score
I figure $300 for inspection and launching a triple axle

C08H18

Reaction score
Just drove past cave rock launch. Closed sign was out.

C08H18

Reaction score
The Keys is a real cluster fuk in so many ways these days. @GRADS probably takes 5 min to launch while the tandem axle Bayliner with 6 kids aboard will take up 45 minutes of precious ramp time. But few choices in south shore. Last week I watched a so-called Keys mechanic carrying a 5-gal home depot bucket full of old motor oil up the dock. he gets to the top of the dock and spills the entire bucket of oil onto the pavement right where we launch. The dock guys throw a couple of towels over the mess and take off for the day (it's 8pm). Common sense isn't so common......

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Cave Rock is easy but be there at 5am to get a spot to park on a weekend as it has super limited room. The ramp is easy but if there is a hint of wind and you're not a good captain you'll be running into the rocks on the east side of the ramp (hwy side) I have seen it happen to someone almost every time I have launched there.

Keys is a piece of cake but was tight for me in Vdrives that were over 25 feet as they are a little harder to maneuver. And like stated, it's expensive as shit and the owner is a Dbag.

There are some great places to launch on the North shore towards Tahoe city etc but don't sound like they would be convenient where you're staying.

As everyone here knows I hate Tahoe so I sort of spund bitter. Too damn cold, too busy, too expensive, and it gets so blown out and rough every day from about 3 to 6pm. I would NEVER hid the fact it is very beautiful but I really never thought boating on it was that great and I boated on it sometimes five days a week!

Good luck.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Cave Rock is easy but be there at 5am to get a spot to park on a weekend as it has super limited room. The ramp is easy but if there is a hint of wind and you're not a good captain you'll be running into the rocks on the east side of the ramp (hwy side) I have seen it happen to someone almost every time I have launched there.

Keys is a piece of cake but was tight for me in Vdrives that were over 25 feet as they are a little harder to maneuver. And like stated, it's expensive as shit and the owner is a Dbag.

There are some great places to launch on the North shore towards Tahoe city etc but don't sound like they would be convenient where you're staying.

As everyone here knows I hate Tahoe so I sort of spund bitter. Too damn cold, too busy, too expensive, and it gets so blown out and rough every day from about 3 to 6pm. I would NEVER hid the fact it is very beautiful but I really never thought boating on it was that great and I boated on it sometimes five days a week!

Good luck.

We would just be boating Friday. Cave Rock looks like a pain in the ass for the reasons you mentioned.

I’ll launch on the north shore. It gives us an opportunity to see more of the lake. Party on the south side and boat on the north. Where do you recommend?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We would just be boating Friday. Cave Rock looks like a pain in the ass for the reasons you mentioned.

I’ll launch on the north shore. It gives us an opportunity to see more of the lake. Party on the south side and boat on the north. Where do you recommend?

All the restaurants on Tahoe are very average but we do like West Shore and they will even dock your boat for you. Spent a many hours hanging there with friends. Garwoods is prob the best known and popular but I think its below average unless you are wasted. Hahaha.

The best cove in all of Lake Tahoe is Secret Cove ( nude beach) but just incredible in every way. I would anchor there and not leave the whole day until after 6 or 7 when the crowds at the ramps are gone. We would go there to sit on the beach too (it's a hike and very limited space). We are not nudies but everyone is welcome.

My buddy Tommy surfing behind our boat. Middle of summer and cold as shit! Ugh. No filter on that photo either. Like I stated, it's beautiful but just completely overrun with people.
20190717_091453.jpg

20190717_091449.jpg

Last edited:

GRADS

Reaction score
Hit Sand Harbor. In my opinion, the most beautiful place on the lake. And if you have a newer iPhone take some underwater pictures of your boat.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
What the hell does number of axles have to do with launching a boat?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sherpa

Reaction score
If I had a triple axle I'd pull the front axle tires and then launch...........