WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

South Pole Webcam

DLC

Reaction score
That is actually really cool - no pun intended!

with the wind chill it’s currently -109* F. That’s just F’ing cold! That’s like building a space station but on land! Wonder how they keep it warm, boiler W/ hot water and what fuel to use for the boiler?

USMC2010

Reaction score
A few months ago I had an interview to go serve down there this year. One of the duties was maintaining the penguin webcam on a remote island. It would have been a very interesting experience.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Well I learned something today. After looking at the site and seeing the barometric pressure, I realized it’s at serious elevation. Checking further below and it’s 9300 ft above sea level. Yowza!

I’ve watched a few documentaries on the South Pole and how many people from multiple countries inhabit this seasonally for scientific research. It makes me wonder how much we’re upsetting the system they’re trying to study by bringing hundreds of unnatural inhabitants and heating, housing, transportation and disposal of all types of waste. Just a thought.

USMC2010

Reaction score
My interview was for the Palmer station, the northern post of the 3. During it's winter months which is now, it staffs about 24 people. During the summer double that. I believe bthe other 2 are more heavily staffed but still only a few hundred.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My interview was for the Palmer station, the northern post of the 3. During it's winter months which is now, it staffs about 24 people. During the summer double that. I believe bthe other 2 are more heavily staffed but still only a few hundred.

I thought you only got stationed down there if you f-ed up lol.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I'll bet the Pole now is like the Ritz, compared to the Motel-6 it was when I was there in '78. I didn't get the grand tour, since it was a quick turn-around to deliver heavy equipment from McMurdo, but I saw enough of it to know that I wanted to get the hell out, ASAP.