WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

South Powell almost closed

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
⚠️
News Release: July 17, 2021
⚠️

Effective immediately, no houseboats may be launched from Wahweap Main Launch Ramp due to low lake levels. Houseboat retrievals remain possible utilizing the boiler plate temporary extensions. Boaters are advised that at the current rate of water loss, only 60 feet of temporary boiler plate will remain by Saturday, July 24. A hazard buoy currently marks the end of the boiler plate ramp extensions available for houseboat retrieval. Today’s ramp assessment showed no more than 10 feet of water depth at the end of the longest temporary boiler plate extension.
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area projects that at a lake elevation of approximately 3551 feet the Wahweap Main Launch Ramp will likely become unusable for all motorized watercraft. Visitors should be aware that this could result in a full closure of the ramp to motorized vessels. The park continues to monitor water level fluctuations and investigate alternative options for vessel launch and retrieval locations in South Lake Powell while the Stateline Auxiliary Ramp construction project is underway. Information about Lake Powell water levels is available from the Bureau of Reclamation at https://www.usbr.gov/.../reservoir.../919/dashboard.html...
Please be aware that due to the ongoing effects of climate change induced drought, lower water levels are forecast to impact Lake Powell for the foreseeable future and will impact water access points and boat launch areas. Boaters are advised to check our website often about the status of preferred launch destinations before heading to the lake. Information is available 24-7 on our website about Lake Powell’s fluctuating water levels and the status of water-based visitor services at our Changing Lake Levels page. https://www.nps.gov/glca/learn/changing-lake-levels.htm

wallnutz

Reaction score
Please be aware that due to the ongoing effects of climate change induced drought, lower water levels are forecast to impact Lake Powell for the foreseeable future and will impact water access points and boat launch areas.
I guess they have proof now, besides their flawed science?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I wonder what lonerock looks like

77charger

Reaction score
Change your plans havasu is full powell sucks dont go cant launch the surf boat or big tanker,Besides you can set your es up in channel and look cool as you are seen by the rest.

2Driver

Reaction score
Please be aware that due to the ongoing effects of climate change induced drought, lower water levels are forecast to impact Lake Powell for the foreseeable future and will impact water access points and boat launch areas.

Speechless

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Has anyone checked to see if there is a hole somewhere in the lake creating a water leak, other than the dam?
I think hard water deposits broke the valve and it's stuck open and the BoR employees are still pointing fingers instead of just fixing it already.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
[emoji3544]
News Release: July 17, 2021
[emoji3544]

Effective immediately, no houseboats may be launched from Wahweap Main Launch Ramp due to low lake levels. Houseboat retrievals remain possible utilizing the boiler plate temporary extensions. Boaters are advised that at the current rate of water loss, only 60 feet of temporary boiler plate will remain by Saturday, July 24. A hazard buoy currently marks the end of the boiler plate ramp extensions available for houseboat retrieval. Today’s ramp assessment showed no more than 10 feet of water depth at the end of the longest temporary boiler plate extension.
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area projects that at a lake elevation of approximately 3551 feet the Wahweap Main Launch Ramp will likely become unusable for all motorized watercraft. Visitors should be aware that this could result in a full closure of the ramp to motorized vessels. The park continues to monitor water level fluctuations and investigate alternative options for vessel launch and retrieval locations in South Lake Powell while the Stateline Auxiliary Ramp construction project is underway. Information about Lake Powell water levels is available from the Bureau of Reclamation at https://www.usbr.gov/.../reservoir.../919/dashboard.html...
Please be aware that due to the ongoing effects of climate change induced drought, lower water levels are forecast to impact Lake Powell for the foreseeable future and will impact water access points and boat launch areas. Boaters are advised to check our website often about the status of preferred launch destinations before heading to the lake. Information is available 24-7 on our website about Lake Powell’s fluctuating water levels and the status of water-based visitor services at our Changing Lake Levels page. https://www.nps.gov/glca/learn/changing-lake-levels.htm
They must be talking about political climate change.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Riley1

Reaction score
From someone I know at MWD, they are pumping like crazy, filling DV and all other reservoirs. Sounds like a calculated plan to kick AZ, then UT and NV out of any water. I didn’t take notes, I’m just paraphrasing here.

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
From someone I know at MWD, they are pumping like crazy, filling DV and all other reservoirs. Sounds like a calculated plan to kick AZ, then UT and NV out of any water. I didn’t take notes, I’m just paraphrasing here.
Diamond Valley is not being filled at this time. MWD will not put Colorado River water in that lake due to the quagga mussel. And there is next to zero allocation of California State project water.
I do know that MWD is currently pumping about 1800 CFS from Lake Havasu. That is the max flow the Colorado River Aquaduct can handle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Lower river is still flowing higher than ever...it has been months of this. Except for Thursdays. Lol
This is exactly what’s happening....
The river below Laughlin was the highest I’ve ever seen it for Feb - May, basically running max flow day and night. Why? Dumping water downstream at an alarming rate.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Here is what the ramp looks like today At wahweap.

The wahweap state ramp is currently closed to motorized vessels. And sounds like it’s shutting down to everything any day. There are large barges on the ramp, one has an excavator on it. It appears that they plan to try to do some work to help make situation better, if not too late.

IMG_5652.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bk2drvr

Reaction score
They plan to lower 4 reservoirs in Northern Utah and Colorado (Flaming Gorge is one of them) several feet to bring Powell up 3ft. Not sure how that will play into ramp accessibility but the fact that they are going to lower 4 reservoirs to raise Powell is impressive. Shits gettin real….

FreeBird236

Reaction score
They plan to lower 4 reservoirs in Northern Utah and Colorado (Flaming Gorge is one of them) several feet to bring Powell up 3ft. Not sure how that will play into ramp accessibility but the fact that they are going to lower 4 reservoirs to raise Powell is impressive. Shits gettin real….
I wonder when they'll start, there was no inflow into Powell at all yesterday. dropped over 3 tenths.

Reaction score
glencanyonnps ⛔ News Release: July 19, 2021, 2:46pm. ⛔
The National Park Service, in partnership with Aramark @visitlakepowell has begun the rehabilitation of Stateline Auxiliary Boat Ramp in order to provide access to south Lake Powell during low water conditions. Effective immediately, the Stateline Launch Ramp is closed to the public to ensure the safety of our visitors while construction is underway. Alternate launching facilities for non-motorized vessels include Lone Rock Beach and the Antelope Point Public Launch Ramp area.

prorider

Reaction score
The water from up north and is going to be released over the next 6 months. So basically Powell will keep dropping, but not quite as fast.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Is it just me or do those metal grates look worthless... Seems like just continuing to dress the aggregate with a loader and excavator 24/7 would be just as effective.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Had what I considered a good rain yesterday afternoon. Not that it’s gonna help much at this point. But it was really cool to see all the water falls.

traquer

Reaction score
Guess it's good that I bought all the waterless and succulent landscaping domain names I could years ago, other than that this sucks!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
To be fair to the guys in the 1920s they had no idea that we'd ever be using full allocation, the population was probably 10% of what it is now in the western US.

True story.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
To be fair to the guys in the 1920s they had no idea that we'd ever be using full allocation, the population was probably 10% of what it is now in the western US.
I wouldn't be so sure the planners back then seem to have been way smarter than the people are now, for example they wanted to have another freeway between the 405 and the 5 to handle the traffic that they thought was coming. but politicians didn't like the idea of having it so close to Beverly hills

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure the planners back then seem to have been way smarter than the people are now, for example they wanted to have another freeway between the 405 and the 5 to handle the traffic that they thought was coming. but politicians didn't like the idea of having it so close to Beverly hills

To be honest, i'm surprised their estimate back in 1920 was as close to reality as they made it.

Imagine going to some spot on the river, surveying the width, depth, etc, then doing calculations based on the water level and current speeds.. and doing it all with pen and paper... and then extrapolating across dates of the high and low seasons.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Big difference between "Investing in infstructure" back then vs. now eh?

The guys that engineered and built that system of water management were true heros. 👍

hallett21

Reaction score

Doesn’t Cal Trans still own a bunch of homes in the path of the 110?

530RL

Reaction score

And the Sundesert Nuclear power plant in Blythe. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Sure could use that clean energy right now.

Boat 405

Reaction score
By the time the water that we use at the faucet/sprinklers/pools/showers, it's not a fart in the wind. Picture this 100 gallons. Of that 100 gallons 95 gallons goes to agriculture. 5 gallons goes to city’s for consumer use. Of that 5 gallons 3 is commercial and 2 goes to houses for drinking water, faucets, showers lawns, pools. I took a course in college 20 years ago about USBR detailing it out where all the water goes. It’s utterly mind blowing.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
per this article Drain the lakes for Power, drawing water from Flaming Gorge and others is largely so Powell doesn’t run below minimum power pool at 3,490 ft. That would mean power generation (lack of generation elsewhere or need for the revenue) is a priority over water storage.

At current and projected releases from Glen Canyon, it could be a decade before the level rises significantly. Maybe never if the enviros get the upper hand.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
To be honest, i'm surprised their estimate back in 1920 was as close to reality as they made it.

Imagine going to some spot on the river, surveying the width, depth, etc, then doing calculations based on the water level and current speeds.. and doing it all with pen and paper... and then extrapolating across dates of the high and low seasons.

no shit, it was a pretty damm good guess at the time.