WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Southern Sides....

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
How about some fried corn? This is a good old Southern style side dish.

Take 8 ears of fresh corn...Silver Queen if you can find it. Shuck and remove all the corn silk, or remove as much as you can. LoL
Cut the fat end of the cob off flat and stand on end then take a knife and cut straight down to remove the kernels.
You probably want to place the cob in a large bowl or something like that to catch the kernels as they fall.
I use a metal dishpan for this step. After removing all the kernels from the cobs take a butter knife and turn it sideways
and scrape each cob and get all the milk and pulp from the cob. You're done with the cobs...trash them or give them to your dog.
Mine love chewing on the cobs, out in the back yard of course. LoL

In a skillet...cast iron is HIGHLY recommended, add about 4 to 5 slices of bacon that have been diced up and a 1/2 cup or so
of diced up onion. Vidalia onions are preferred but any sweet onion will do. For West coaster's maybe a Walla Walla sweet.
Cook this for 3 to 4 minutes over medium high heat then add the kernels and milk from the cobs . Add salt and pepper.
Don't really have an amount, I just kind of guesstamate, but I like lots of black pepper in mine. Cook for another 3-4 minutes
stirring occasionally.
Add 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream or half and half if you prefer and reduce down...usually 3 to 4 minutes. I like to add some fresh chopped chives
for the last minute or so. Remember to sir as necessary...

Remove from heat and enjoy...Next time I cook some here at the house I'll try to get some pics.