WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Southwest Airlines - another day another 1,000 cancellations … and counting

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Want a good laugh? "The airline blamed the problem on air traffic control issues and weather. In a statement Saturday the airline expressed optimism its operations on Sunday would improve, not worsen."

Want the truth?

The revolt begins - at Southwest Airlines

Pilots at Southwest appear to be sicking out in a rebellion against vaccine mandates that has crippled the airline since Friday.

Word is American Airlines pilots will go out next

530RL

Reaction score

azsunfun

Reaction score
no law on not having beer on planes. airlines decision, fuck em, they want to hit empoyees in the pocket book, hit them back.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Just cancelled my work trip to Texas this week because of this.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
This is going to get a lot worse. Other airlines are mandating their pilots and crews get The Jab by next month or be fired. If you plan on traveling during the holidays better plan on driving.

Reactions: FCT

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I saw a posting by Dan Bongino showing Biden saying the before they mandated it only 50% of American Airlines employees were vaxxed. Then the executive CEO told their employees that either they get vaxxed or they will be fired. Well, now AA's vax rate is up to 99%. But what he doesn't tell you is that 49% said take this job and shove it, so low and behold the vax rate is now up to 99%......but with only half of their employees. I love seeing this bullshit implode in the faces of these kowtowing CEO's.

530RL

Reaction score
I'm going to bet airfares are going up.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Glad today is my last flight for the foreseeable future.

RIVERDAZE

Reaction score
I am flying SW on wed to Nashville with 2 stop and a plane change in Houston... This could be interesting:rolleyes:

Singleton

Reaction score
Have fully refundable tickets to Denver for my family New Years ski vacation - considering driving it now.

Just need to get the kid home from college. No way to drive from Hawaii

Xring01

Reaction score
I am supposed to fly on Southwest this Sunday on a business trip….
???? Will I or wont I??? That is the question????

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
IMG_1395.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Have fully refundable tickets to Denver for my family New Years ski vacation - considering driving it now.

Just need to get the kid home from college. No way to drive from Hawaii
That is my biggest concern. The plan that I have is to take once last trip and pack up all of my belongings and sell our primary residence and never go back. Will work on selling other properties and give my mother and stepmother one last opportunity to leave the islands the for the last time with me. Should be interesting in the next year or s……

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Wasn’t there a pilot shortage precovid. I hope they get this shit figured out by Jan.

Have a family vacation I have planned. :)

Icky

Reaction score
Isn't there a few airline pilots here?

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Flying SW from Fresno to Denver on Thursday. We are looking at backup flights and potentially driving. Getting a little nervous.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Flew to Dallas saturday evening to go to the Cowboys game and look at a job site monday. Plane was delayed, completely full, and didn't get there till almost 1 am. Rental car place was closed, had to get an uber to the hotel and then back to airport sunday morning to get a car. Waited at the airport yesterday afternoon for my evening flight, but it was all over the place, slight delay, then even later, back to on time, then 2 hours delayed. Said fuck it not gonna wait till it gets cancelled, got a hotel room and came home this morning. It was not fun or convenient at all, but I support the employees walking out and making a stand. Fuck these mandates!

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Just flew today. Flight left on time and we touched down on time, then waited 55 minutes for the gate to clear, so we could get off.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Weather must be crappy at DFW today. :)

There's actually a nasty storm front set to move in across Texas this afternoon ahead of the remnants of Pamela. They are predicting between 3-5inches of rain with 5-7inches in some areas across most of Texas in the next 36hours

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Weather must be crappy at DFW today. :)

Booked one for 445pm... just called to see if we had options out of SNA. The 445 is now cancelled.

Aaaannndddd almost everything is cancelled through today and tomorrow is already getting booked up.

"Severe Weather" but already cancelling 445pm flights that land at 10pm Dallas time.

Taboma

Reaction score
According to Flight Aware here's their current Misery Map of cancelled and delayed flights USA. DFW is leading the pack it seems --- as is American Airlines.

10-13-21 Misery Map.JPG

hawgty55

Reaction score
@RitcheyRch just beautiful a welcomed rain
20211013_113025.jpg

Question is when will the left wing media report the news of the country. And wait until the railroads and the long shoreman make there stance. Union pacific was hit with there jab date last week i believe. Get your rice while you can! Deplorables will be setting the standard for the center to right line!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
According to Flight Aware here's their current Misery Map of cancelled and delayed flights USA. DFW is leading the pack it seems --- as is American Airlines.

View attachment 1058250

AA has been canceling DFW flights constantly since people started flying again. IMO at first, it was consolidating flights so they wouldn't fly empty, then everyone started flying again and they were understaffed. If people start striking it's going to compound the understaffed issue.

I've been from OC to DFW a lot recently. The first flight was maybe 1/4 full when people were terrified to fly, next one maybe 3/4 full a few months after, next flight we started the cancellation and consolidation game where the flight was 100% full and they started blaming weather... as I watched other planes take off and land with no issues. That's been the norm since, and I've seen reports of AA asking their employees to VOLUNTEER to man the customer service desks. If you fly AA, get the app so you're notified immediately and can hopefully switch to another flight. The lines on those CS desks are literally hundreds and hundreds of people deep. I should have taken pics on the last one.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Out of Long Beach through Phoenix, getting in at 1230am. Not terrible.

I asked if it was similar to the Southwest issue. Rep said "People will think that but I'm not sure. It is odd that they just cancelled all of them at once. We don't usually do that."

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Out of Long Beach through Phoenix, getting in at 1230am. Not terrible.

I asked if it was similar to the Southwest issue. Rep said "People will think that but I'm not sure. It is odd that they just cancelled all of them at once. We don't usually do that."

PHX-DFW delayed twice. The last one was delayed at 850pm before an alleged 9pm takeoff. Now we’re supposed to get in after 2am. Anybody know if you can still pick up a rental car after 2am at DFW.

Check the map. The weather is already moving out. Over 200 AA flights canceled today.

But yeah, it’s weather. I guess the entire airport must’ve been shut down :rolleyes:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Its a small victory but a move in the correct direction. Southwest announced today that they're employees who refuse the vaccine "will no longer be placed on unpaid leave" and will now be accommodated while their objections are being "reviewed". American has issued a similar statement

Singleton

Reaction score
Its a small victory but a move in the correct direction. Southwest announced today that they're employees who refuse the vaccine "will no longer be placed on unpaid leave" and will now be accommodated while their objections are being "reviewed". American has issued a similar statement

PR Stunt - What is not documented is if the employee exception is not approved, they are then placed on unpaid leave and/or terminated. Also the review process has not been disclosed, approval requirements not disclosed and % approved to date has not been communicated.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
PR Stunt - What is not documented is if the employee exception is not approved, they are then placed on unpaid leave and/or terminated. Also the review process has not been disclosed, approval requirements not disclosed and % approved to date has not been communicated.

Article did say that they would allow them to contest the judgment and/or comply at a later date penalty free.

At the end of the day, words are just words but it is a small victory (even if its just a PR stunt) and a small step in the right direction.

The fact that they put the words out in of itself is an admission of a substantial fracture within the company

Singleton

Reaction score
Article did say that they would allow them to contest the judgment and/or comply at a later date penalty free.

At the end of the day, words are just words but it is a small victory (even if its just a PR stunt) and a small step in the right direction.

The fact that they put the words out in of itself is an admission of a substantial fracture within the company

While I agree it is a small step in the right direction. Southwest has always said employees and customers are #1. Current actions before today did not show that.

IMO, the company should tell the federal government, our employees are more important then your government contract. Discontinue the government contract and the Dec 8 government mandate for contractors and all their employees goes away.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
While I agree it is a small step in the right direction. Southwest has always said employees and customers are #1. Current actions before today did not show that.

IMO, the company should tell the federal government, our employees are more important then your government contract. Discontinue the government contract and the Dec 8 government mandate for contractors and all their employees goes away.
100%