WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Space X conspiracy theorists

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I am usually late to the party, did I miss all the conspiracy theories on Space X and there "web" of new satelites? Surely this is rooted in some sort of big brother plot!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
7bebd458-dfe9-4c35-beee-da10caaaa99b.jpg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
They will put land line phone and cable companies out of biz. They have over 1,000 of the starlink sats up in orbit now.

Mr Musk is a visionary for sure, can you imagine sitting around with your buddies and saying I am going to put a cuzillion dollars into a web of satelites?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
They will put land line phone and cable companies out of biz. They have over 1,000 of the starlink sats up in orbit now.

Yep, on their way to 12,000 I heard. Going to be at least a couple to three years even with regular launches to get them up to that number. I believe they can do 60 at a time.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Mr Musk is a visionary for sure, can you imagine sitting around with your buddies and saying I am going to put a cuzillion dollars into a web of satelites?

Starts with a simple proposition like, "How can we get affordable high speed internet to even the most remote places on earth", and then that coupled with "How can we create a continual revenue stream for SpaceX"

He can launch the satellites at cost, 60 at time, once they start getting revenue from selling connections SpaceX will be raking in the dough in perpetuity with minimal operating cost, as the sats are completely autonomous. They have an extremely long lifespan unlike normal sats that have a limited propellant capacity to maintain orbit over their lifespans, the starlinks are ion powered thrusters from solar, they never run out of thrust to maintain orbit.
Yep, on their way to 12,000 I heard. Going to be at least a couple to three years even with regular launches to get them up to that number. I believe they can do 60 at a time.

They are going for 40k of them eventually, basically enough so that at any point in time every place on earth has dozens and dozens overhead for signal.

I think one of the rockets now has 10 successful launches and landings on it, they will get to a point where they will have enough rockets to do almost daily launches and turn around and refit downtime time will be practically non-existent.

Think about how much savings there is when the rocket engines and tanks aren't just lost to the bottom of the atlantic.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Yeah well the last launch the booster didn't get back to the recovery ship as planned. Either they had to crane it out of the drink or they lost it. It broke their record of consecutive recoveries at like 24 or something.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I just went to the page. It $99/month. Hardware is $499

Yes, and you can sign up for the beta. They charge $99 to get in line. Once the beta starts in your area they charge the equipment and ship it.

I'm somewhat assuming that unlike HughesNet you can put the antenna/dish up yourself because it doesn't need aiming like the fixed sat system does.

HughesNet is a rip-off for the data plan they stick you with, and the speeds and latency suck as well (and "faster speeds" doesn't mean more data). Starlink's going to make it feel like you have good cable internet (speeds and latency).

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

No joke, listening to musk on the last JRE was eye opening. Kid is going for the jugular of a lot of industry giants.....and I honestly think he’ll succeed. I’m fucking impressed with the hunger he has to accelerate us into the future

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I am no stock market "dude" but this does sound like a money maker, doesn't someone get in on this now as a long term deal and look back in 10 years at what today is the beginning of the next AT&T? Or is that way too obvious/simplistic?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I am no stock market "dude" but this does sound like a money maker, doesn't someone get in on this now as a long term deal and look back in 10 years at what today is the beginning of the next AT&T? Or is that way too obvious/simplistic?

IMO, yes. And nobody will be able to compete with them without doing 15 years of investment in a cost effect launch system, or pay them market rate to launch for them which they will make money on as well.

When fully operational the starlink system will be superior to even a hard fiber network, as it will be a distributed mesh network meaning traffic can be automatically routed around bottlenecks via any one of hundreds of paths bouncing between the most optimized series of satellites before being directed back to the ground, and the satellite to satellite comms are via laser light, essentially wireless fiberoptic, and light travels about 30% faster in a vacuum than it does down glass fiber, so the latency will be superior to fiber as well.

spectras only

Reaction score
How long before the Chinese sabotage satellites? It's amazing how much space junk out there already, some nefarious move could " accidentally" take out strings of those. 🤔

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
How long before the Chinese sabotage satellites? It's amazing how much space junk out there already, some nefarious move could " accidentally" take out strings of those. 🤔

The "Star Wars"/SDI capability has been around since the 80's, and is part of any nuclear strike plan to take out your enemies ability to see it coming or coordinate a response.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
IMO, yes. And nobody will be able to compete with them without doing 15 years of investment in a cost effect launch system, or pay them market rate to launch for them which they will make money on as well.

When fully operational the starlink system will be superior to even a hard fiber network, as it will be a distributed mesh network meaning traffic can be automatically routed around bottlenecks via any one of hundreds of paths bouncing between the most optimized series of satellites before being directed back to the ground, and the satellite to satellite comms are via laser light, essentially wireless fiberoptic, and light travels about 30% faster in a vacuum than it does down glass fiber, so the latency will be superior to fiber as well.

So if someone were to want to take a peak at this, is space X the parent company or is it merely performing launch for another company that will run the "fiber web"?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I am waiting for my son who build these satelites when stock avaibility may happen if it ever does for those outside the company..

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score

Racey you're blowing my mind right now. Makes perfect sense.

gqchris

Reaction score
If you guys want to check if you can get Beta coverage check here, I got this email this morning. Its a 1 time $499 equipment at ground level and $99 a month.

cC_ympYV6ZFKwvZeX-6yLcRlOA3r9tWpm019OxNeA1rQQNRe61LK17z96iQk4Mn_1a9sm6w4AcAb3dmHWiu6DqsrBGqWJwb6FMGmk5vDgD_Zu9i1gioDzpb9DYuUtYTbyo75Hd-WxQ93sfyeQ1yGdJ6hWPTaWFk2_YZSfYs_lr8MAv93RA=s0-d-e1-ft
Starlink is now available for order to a limited number of users in your coverage area. Placing your order now will hold your place in line for future service. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.
oCJ3dKKkghy1E1AEYL4_FJ8nY6TfvjBC-M3S8lsFyhQNQoCb9WNGSxGCPl3uTFEnwfQO0tRuAX8TaLWMtOmZGkrTGK5H6soSYsy_GL_ZWzbuOHePaOc_njyCsZjC4rOrVSa0dUz7R6yhpjkqfeIQtBCRGI5j8xxpAPAnbEATi_jI174MkQ=s0-d-e1-ft
During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically.

The Starlink team will provide periodic updates on availability as we launch more satellites and expand our coverage area. Depending on your location, some orders may take 6 months or more to fulfill.

To check availability for your location, visit Starlink.com and re-enter your service address. Thank you for your interest in Starlink and your continued support!

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Saw it happen over Honolulu in the past year. It was at about 4am or so. Amazing sight for sure. Long line of lights from the horizon to the mountains.

We’ve seen it a couple times here in Boulder City. It’s crazy.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Nothing to do with communications. These satellites are there to inhibit global warming. During peak days of solar activity they will all deploy market umbrellas thus providing needed shade. 😁

Alright! now we are talking!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I works good. My son has been running it for a few months and had no problems even in the snow. He has a Plex server running in his house that I access for movies and tv shows that runs fine.
At this time if you move to far from your assigned area it may not find a good ground station. They go your house up to the sattelite and down to a ground station somewhere in your area. He was down last weekend testing his aircraft version on one of Elon's planes in Hawthorne.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I works good. My son has been running it for a few months and had no problems even in the snow. He has a Plex server running in his house that I access for movies and tv shows that runs fine.
At this time if you move to far from your assigned area it may not find a good ground station. They go your house up to the sattelite and down to a ground station somewhere in your area. He was down last weekend testing his aircraft version on one of Elon's planes in Hawthorne.

I do believe we have our "inside man"

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So if someone were to want to take a peak at this, is space X the parent company or is it merely performing launch for another company that will run the "fiber web"?

I believe the starlink system is under the spacex umbrella, don't quote me on it though.

Taboma

Reaction score
Claims it should be in my area by mid to late 2021. What I can't find is what if any warranty you have on the equipment you're purchasing. Also keep in my the provided antenna is ground mount, if you want roof you need to purchase the hardware from Space X. Unobstructed field of view, more for Beta than once fully operational. Can't travel, your station will be limited to a small "Cell" coverage area.

I though maybe I could have an antenna at Havasu and just bring the receiver from home like I do my Directv, but won' t work like that.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Claims it should be in my area by mid to late 2021. What I can't find is what if any warranty you have on the equipment you're purchasing. Also keep in my the provided antenna is ground mount, if you want roof you need to purchase the hardware from Space X. Unobstructed field of view, more for Beta than once fully operational. Can't travel, your station will be limited to a small "Cell" coverage area.

I though maybe I could have an antenna at Havasu and just bring the receiver from home like I do my Directv, but won' t work like that.

That is only for the time being, as they have limited satellites up right now, and they are limited to coverage in specific 22km wide hexagonal 'cells'. They have focused these cells over areas that have limited high speed coverage currently.

As the constellation density increases you most likely will be able to move your ground station wherever you want.

This snippet of one of their launches gives a brief explanation at the attached timestamp of around the 9:30 mark

Taboma

Reaction score
That is only for the time being, as they have limited satellites up right now, and they are limited to coverage in specific 22km wide hexagonal 'cells'. They have focused these cells over areas that have limited high speed coverage currently.

As the constellation density increases you most likely will be able to move your ground station wherever you want.

This snippet of one of their launches gives a brief explanation at the attached timestamp of around the 9:30 mark

I was going by what I read in the FAQ --- 🤔 I realize this is under the "Beta" FAQs, so subject to change as you mentioned. That would really be cool if we could travel with it.

Starlink moving.JPG

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I was going by what I read in the FAQ --- 🤔 I realize this is under the "Beta" FAQs, so subject to change as you mentioned. That would really be cool if we could travel with it.

View attachment 974498

Exactly, it's not arbitrary geofencing. It has to do with the geometric layout the the satellite orbits and how they cover specific areas of the ground within the acceptable azimuth at any given point in time as the satellites orbit and the earth rotates.

I would imagine that this would eventually be phased out as they eventually will have 40x the current cluster density.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Are you saying those aren't real satellites? Sounds like conspiracy a foot!

Goes back to an old Tesla thread, titled Tesla continuing to collapse.

Which was at the time a valid question. It's one of those threads that had a life of its own.

Entertaining going backwards and seeing the positions people took many of them centered around Elon himself.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Its going to be like the gravity move , with all the space junk floating around up there.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
As soon as they offer internet faster than our Cox Gigablast, I’ll jump in.

As soon as Elon offers a smart phone that can compete with Apple and Android I’ll gladly give him my $$$

sintax

Reaction score
Exactly, it's not arbitrary geofencing. It has to do with the geometric layout the the satellite orbits and how they cover specific areas of the ground within the acceptable azimuth at any given point in time as the satellites orbit and the earth rotates.

I would imagine that this would eventually be phased out as they eventually will have 40x the current cluster density.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was an upcharge at a later date. Tesla loves the subscription purchase.

Roaming with the satellite would be super attractive, only makes sense they’d monetize it when they were able

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

At this time you are set up with a specific ground station which is how you connect to the internet. Hopefully we will be able to move locations at some time because I want to use it in my rv.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I believe the starlink system is under the spacex umbrella, don't quote me on it though.
My son gets specific Starlink stock now.

Last edited:

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Also, the $499 kit costs $1,300 to manufacture. Musk also got 900 million from the feds as part of the rural Internet grant money

Javajoe

Reaction score
My buddy Cody has it in Montana. Says it’s bad ass. Unboxed it and put it up and it unfolds by itself and start spinning to get signal. Just plug and play. Links up by itself. Fast speed and no bullshit. Satellite’s are about as big as a desk.
I bet ya...they have technology to handle a new Satellite phone company he will launch later. I mean...Why would he not??? Guys a fucking genius

4Waters

Reaction score
After paying the deposit back in Feb i finally got my full order confirmation, should have my dish in a week or two. 👌

Figures it has to hit 100 before i go up on the roof to install it 😂
What's the monthly

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Also, the $499 kit costs $1,300 to manufacture. Musk also got 900 million from the feds as part of the rural Internet grant money

At least he is doing something with it, the phone companies have gotten that money for decades, i'm not even rural and have only 1 ISP option, telephone DSL, and it's slow as fock and $70 a month

What's the monthly
$99