WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

spare 496HO PCM anyone?

WildWilly

Reaction score
One of the local shops is trying to figure out an issue on my boat and they want to test a different PCM and don't have any boats in right now with the 2nd gen 496HO. it has to have the fuel cooling box style pump, not the one with the screw on fuel filter. Anyone have one that they can borrow? I just happent to not be in town this weekend so if someone had one and could drop it to them I'd gladly pay you for your time and thank you.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Not to be a dick but

if you need a test pcm ??
you may consider a different shop to diag your issue

why would a "repair shop" plug in a PCM from a customers boat ---that could lead to more issues for you and said customer that was clueless that a major component was tested on another mans toy :eek:

WildWilly

Reaction score
Trust me....I have my own questions...but I'm also just trying to help how ever I can to eliminate issues and get my boat back on the water since I have family coming out.

And this is a very big name shop in Havasu too.....

dribble

Reaction score
Not to be a dick but

if you need a test pcm ??
you may consider a different shop to diag your issue

why would a "repair shop" plug in a PCM from a customers boat ---that could lead to more issues for you and said customer that was clueless that a major component was tested on another mans toy :eek:

Plugging in a known good part is a legitimate diagnostic procedure these days. Taking one out of another customer’s boat without their knowledge is highly unethical.

guest hs

Reaction score
If they are a Mercury dealer, they can request a test PCM from Mercury.

Singleton

Reaction score
If they are a Mercury dealer, they can request a test PCM from Mercury.

Bingo.
When mine went out last year, shop was able to pinpoint issue no problem. Most Merc shops have a test PCM on the shelf.
Shipped PCM to Simon in El Cajon and had it back within 3 days.

WildWilly

Reaction score
at this point I've lost faith in saving this weekend, I'm just looking to save next weekend when I have a group of family and friends coming out.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score

Plugging in a known good part is a legitimate diagnostic procedure these days. Taking one out of another customer’s boat without their knowledge is highly unethical.

In my shop we would call that a WAG wild ass guess
only parts replacers plug in items to see if that fixes it

a common problem does not mean its your problem

just my worthless -.02