WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speaker Repair/Re-cone

franky

Reaction score
I need to put some JBL L-36 speakers back in service but the foam surround on the woofer cones are toast. I have had them re-coned by a place in Ventura years ago but they don't do it anymore. Any one know a shop that repairs/re-cones ? Thanks

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Poke around and Google.....some time back there was a place that sold kits to DIY kits for old skool stuff. I believe they were local to LA/OC. Wish I would have saved the website.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Found this guy while I was looking for OC speaker repair ,guess they are not doing it anymore but it looks like this guy may have worked for them when they did.

http://www.speakerrepairpros.com/services.html

You also may want to just look at the cost of a new driver. I believe the L36's have a 10. You might be able to get a new one for not much more.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I just did two of theses repairs recently on some JL W6’s. I ordered the stuff from Amazon. The kits was from Simply Speakers who has videos on YouTube that shows the process. Really easy and worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Speaker City USA in Glendale used to do it. Probably been 20 years since I went in there to get a speaker reconed.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
You could do it yourself! Just watch some videos, it’s not that hard. Like previously said, get the stuff online.

But, this old school guy is kickass and won’t rape you. He’s done my JBL 4312, Dahlquist DQ-10, 12’s and Magnepans. Knows his stuff.

http://www.montebellospeakerrepair.com/

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
2X for speaker repair pros. They did a fantastic job on my old JBL -L150’s. Btw they are for sale now I have 2 sets of Tannoys.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
What a coincidence! I'm replacing the foam on my Mom's Cerwin Vega D3's as soon as the kit gets here, so she can jam out to her Robert Goulet Christmas Album :D
I ordered the kit from simply speakers. I'll let you know how it goes

franky

Reaction score
You could do it yourself! Just watch some videos, it’s not that hard. Like previously said, get the stuff online.

But, this old school guy is kickass and won’t rape you. He’s done my JBL 4312, Dahlquist DQ-10, 12’s and Magnepans. Knows his stuff.

http://www.montebellospeakerrepair.com/
This may be the ticket because I wont have to ship. Drop them off on my way to SD and pick em up on the way back.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
This may be the ticket because I wont have to ship. Drop them off on my way to SD and pick em up on the way back.

Make sure and call him, he might have to order something. He stands behind his work. I’ve been collecting audiophile pieces since 1978. Met a lot of interesting individuals in the biz.

franky

Reaction score
So.....

When I sent the speakers in, I put them face to face and then zip tied them together, double wrapped in bubble pack and taped together tightly. I then placed packing material in all the voids.....right? I get them back and they are rattling around in the box with just this packing material. And she told me when they were ready that they ship fedex because they get damaged less...

Magnets are broken off and are laying in the bottom of the box (rattling around) with the rest of the packing

spk1.jpg
spk4.jpg

And here is what my voice coils look like now

I am beyond pissed and shaking in disbelief. I have had these since 1976 and have had re-coned once before. This was just for the foam surround

Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Speaker City USA in Glendale used to do it. Probably been 20 years since I went in there to get a speaker reconed.
X2. I believe they used to be on Victory Blvd in Burbank.

robby dmax

Reaction score
Wow... no body gives a shit about Anything anymore
Did you call and see what they have to say?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
So.....

When I sent the speakers in, I put them face to face and then zip tied them together, double wrapped in bubble pack and taped together tightly. I then placed packing material in all the voids.....right? I get them back and they are rattling around in the box with just this packing material. And she told me when they were ready that they ship fedex because they get damaged less...

Magnets are broken off and are laying in the bottom of the box (rattling around) with the rest of the packing

View attachment 839582 View attachment 839583
And here is what my voice coils look like now

I am beyond pissed and shaking in disbelief. I have had these since 1976 and have had re-coned once before. This was just for the foam surround

I don’t like to bash any biz but when you asked for references I recommended Montebello Speaker Repair. I lived in Irvine and would take them there because he was really great especially with the older stuff. The place you sent off your stuff is overpriced and honestly they Have subpar labor working on them.

franky

Reaction score
I don’t like to bash any biz but when you asked for references I recommended Montebello Speaker Repair. I lived in Irvine and would take them there because he was really great especially with the older stuff. The place you sent off your stuff is overpriced and honestly they Have subpar labor working on them.
Well I talked to that guy in Montebello and talked to the guy in Oregon. I would have to ship either way and these guys were considerably less. Figured it wasn't rocket science and just didn't want to tackle it myself, too many other projects. I hate that it worked out this way.