WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speaking of building cost...

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We are getting ready to move into our last resting place/home and are doing an owner/builder addition to the existing home. Existing house will stay untouched minus sharing a common wall. Two story at about 1200 square feet total. Large family room down with master BR/bath on top.
Doing a lot of labor ourselves (family members in the trade).

Cost?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We are getting ready to move into our last resting place/home and are doing an owner/builder addition to the existing home. Existing house will stay untouched minus sharing a common wall. Two story at about 1200 square feet total. Large family room down with master BR/bath on top.

Cost?
Are you going equal or building the Taj Mahal ?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
More than you think. Lumber is crazy expensive right now. I just remodeled my house last fall. I did a lot of it myself. I was right in budget, but I estimated everything pretty high.

It was way more expensive than what I thought it would be. When you are paying $38 per sheet of plywood and $7‐8 per stud, it adds up fast.

Sent From Tapatalk

Your ad here

Reaction score
What are the remodel plans? Everyone gets in trouble when they get old and have the master bedroom upstairs...

SoCalDave

Reaction score
More than you think. Lumber is crazy expensive right now. I just remodeled my house last fall. I did a lot of it myself. I was right in budget, but I estimated everything pretty high.

It was way more expensive than what I thought it would be. When you are paying $38 per sheet of plywood and $7‐8 per stud, it adds up fast.

Sent From Tapatalk
Yeah very aware of the increased material cost, especially with lumber.
Good example we started a retrofit on my employers 100k building April 2020. Were buying 208pc bundles of 2x4x10' for $3.57 each. By mid Oct that same board was up to $8.28 a board. Though the project was at a stand still for a few months I can't imagine how much the board is today.
Crazy times we're in that's for sure.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
What are the remodel plans? Everyone gets in trouble when they get old and have the master bedroom upstairs...
😂 we have 3 stairs from lower room to main house , I told wifey I was going to get a fucking Stair Master installed 😎 SOB it won’t fit 😫😫😫

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
OSB is to the moon , if anyone has lumber on site you better lock it up .

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Yeah very aware of the increased material cost, especially with lumber.
Good example we started a retrofit on my employers 100k building April 2020. Were buying 208pc bundles of 2x4x10' for $3.57 each. By mid Oct that same board was up to $8.28 a board. Though the project was at a stand still for a few months I can't imagine how much the board is today.
Crazy times we're in that's for sure.
Home depot is currently $12.88 for 2x4x10. That isn't bulk pricing, but I would guess the bulk price is around $11.25 per board.

Sent From Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score

Cost?

What may be potentially your home to grow old(er) and remain until the law decides you can meet God ---- and you want to climb stairs ?
This post-fire home I designed and participated in building has technically three levels if you include the huge walk out basement & large garage shop. Great room, master bdrm, two other bedrooms and kitchen are on the middle main level, which is easily accessed from the upper driveway on the same level, and as designed doors etc are wheel chair accessible (Should that be required).
Back yard slope down to shop is via a ramp, not stairs, so with a motorized chair or strong arms, ( Going down EZ, getting back up, will be a workout 😁 ) the shop's accessible as well.

A couple of older neighbors rebuilt with a 2nd story, but included small elevators, in fact got stuck in one, helping a neighbor's contractor set up the limit switches --- on a 100 degree day, that was NOT a fun experience with two of us " Nut-to-Butt" sweating our balls off. 🥵

Did you do a "Mom-in-law" quarters on the first level ?

That really cool backyard entertainment area I see in pics, new house or old ?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
If the time ever came to where one of us could not climb stairs there is a decent size spare BR on the main level of the house.

The backyard entertainment area is at our current residence that we are selling to our Daughter/SIL. Escrow is set to close next week so we'll be living with them for a while.

jailbird141

Reaction score

Sent From Tapatalk

It's not just the lumber that has got crazy expensive. Drywall has went way up. Even insulation is more expensive. Concrete as well has gone up. It is all crazy right now.

Taboma

Reaction score
If the time ever came to where one of us could not climb stairs there is a decent size spare BR on the main level of the house.

The backyard entertainment area is at our current residence that we are selling to our Daughter/SIL. Escrow is set to close next week so we'll be living with them for a while.

I'm still doing stairs no problem, well OK, there's that "Surprise" knee thing but rarely, or unless I'm really tired from a lot of yard work, then some times I'm pushing through those last two steps 😁
I consider generally consider the stairs good exercise, so much so, if we want to open windows in the upstairs loft office / 4th private bedroom, I sent my wife, keeps her butt tight 😂

When I've looked at possibly relocating, I'm looking mostly at single level ranch type places, or ones with the master on the main level.

Your ad here

Reaction score
It will be a health event that will end going up and down the stairs. Make the house livable all on the ground level or your kids will put you in old geezers housing. I'm witnessing this right now. I've been in a house with the master bedroom downstairs and a wheel chair accessible shower. Not one of those fiberglass pre made showers but a nice tiled shower. Big, roomy, and no curb to step over.