WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speaking of Eagle Mountain...

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I read somewhere that most of the power out if parker dam is used to run all those pumps.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I read somewhere that most of the power out if parker dam is used to run all those pumps.

Parker dam can produce 120MW.

Using a rough figure of 800W / 1 HP, it takes 10MW to run those pumps and produce 12,500 HP.

Not counting losses, the pump plant should only consume about 10% of what the Parker dam is capable of generating.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score

Using a rough figure of 800W / 1 HP, it takes 10MW to run those pumps and produce 12,500 HP.

Not counting losses, the pump plant should only consume about 10% of what the Parker damn is capable of generating.

I believe the Parker Hydro-Electric was built to serve the aqueduct main intake pumps (Lake Havasu) and the Gene Wash lift pumps. Also, that horsepower, which varies per pumping station, as do the number of pumps, plus how many are running, is for each pump, not a total.
Per the aqueduct maps, Eagle Mountain and Iron Mountain pumping stations appear to be fed from the Hoover dam transmission grid, although I'm sure they're all tied into the grid for power redundancy. MWD was a major funding source for the construction of Hoover Dam.

Taboma

Reaction score
I enjoy researching and reading these types of historical marvels built during an era when human's were creating the seemingly impossible using their brains and brawn.
Bolsters my confidence of what mankind is capable of, despite this nagging lack of optimism for future generations.
If anybody is interested, some great pictures and I think, a fascinating historical report on the California River Aqueduct, that made the three lakes we so enjoy possible.

The historical story and especially pictures on this site are very very cool.

This is the called the Colorado River Aqueduct " Recording Project " 64 PDF pages of a very detailed history and information.

I think this highly detailed map from around 1938, which on the link's site, can be zoomed in for much greater detail than the small example I'm posting, due to the size of the original document.

Colorado-River-Aqueduct-Map small.jpg

azsunfun

Reaction score
who is polishing 90 year old generators, and the copper lines on the left, i never look forward to the boat polishing. :oops:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

Not counting losses, the pump plant should only consume about 10% of what the Parker dam is capable of generating.
I believe there are at least 15 of those pumps.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I believe there are at least 15 of those pumps.
Was told by a person working for mwd at these pump stations that roughly 25% of the power generated at Hoover is consumed by the pumps. I assume she meant the entire line but can't say for certain.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Was told by a person working for mwd at these pump stations that roughly 25% of the power generated at Hoover is consumed by the pumps. I assume she meant the entire line but can't say for certain.

Was this on a boat ramp?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
met someone in town recently that works there, they told me you pretty much gotta know "somebody" to get your app pushed to the front.

It's probably just a dog and pony show listing. I'm sure they already have someone lined up.

My HS girlfriend's dad offered me a job at the LA DWP. Like an idiot, I turned my nose up at it.

What a complete dipshit I was. 🙄

NicPaus

Reaction score
met someone in town recently that works there, they told me you pretty much gotta know "somebody" to get your app pushed to the front.
A member here works for them if I recall. @nordictom . Have a friend that works for them and a few friends family members if a member wanted the job and needs insight.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Guy who works for Misty at bob Moses works there, he goes in for like three days and lives there then has 5 or 6 days off I think is how it works.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That ain’t shit.... Says the RDP crowd

It's really not. But, when you combine it with the unreal benefits package they provide, it would be hard to pass up a job like that if you could get it. You'd be set for life at that point. 👍

Ladsm

Reaction score
Years ago I tried to get on with the State of CA dam crews and was told you start in the Prisons and wait your turn. I made it to Oakland Ca, CALTRANS but couldnt handle sitting around all day waiting for light bulbs to burn out.

evantwheeler

Reaction score

The company I work for was part of a shutdown on the pipelines coming out of Havasu and two of the other pump stations downstream in Feb this year. Those buildings are so bad ass, it's like walking into a time machine. They have marble or some other really expensive stone for flooring with brass inlay designs. It feels like you're walking through a museum. It was awesome watching the sun rise over Havasu while we worked.

The second picture is where the three pipelines going up the hill merge into one larger pipe. Really crazy how they used to build things back in the day! There is no weird division or combination of photos for this picture, those vertical dividers are the structure for the three-way wye into the larger pipe. All of these pipes coming out of the pump houses were originally riveted together at the joints. We reinforced all the riveted joints with internally welded buttstraps across the joints.

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score

The original purpose of the Parker Dam hydro-electric plant was solely to power the pumps at the Lake Havasu pumping station. It originally wasn't even hooked up to any external power grid. It wasn't until 1954 that transmission lines were wired to the Dam for general power. Even today, 50% of the total power (120MW/457GWh annual) generated goes to power the Havasu MWD plant and the CAP Mark Wilmer pumping plant across the lake.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I believe the Parker Hydro-Electric was built to serve the aqueduct main intake pumps (Lake Havasu) and the Gene Wash lift pumps. Also, that horsepower, which varies per pumping station, as do the number of pumps, plus how many are running, is for each pump, not a total.
Per the aqueduct maps, Eagle Mountain and Iron Mountain pumping stations appear to be fed from the Hoover dam transmission grid, although I'm sure they're all tied into the grid for power redundancy. MWD was a major funding source for the construction of Hoover Dam.

12,500 hp is per pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score

Right now, Eagle Mtn is using 77.2 MW [emoji16] 8 pumps running.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
I got in without knowing anyone, there were people hired from different states as they advertise positions nation wide when necessary.
Nobody works three days and gets five or six off, complete BS. Remote locations provide housing but you still are stuck there, I was lucky and had 4/10 schedule and office located above Parker dam but lots of OT and on-call even if you don't want it lol.
If someone doesn't make it past application process to interview process maybe they were not qualified?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I got in without knowing anyone, there were people hired from different states as they advertise positions nation wide when necessary.
Nobody works three days and gets five or six off, complete BS. Remote locations provide housing but you still are stuck there, I was lucky and had 4/10 schedule and office located above Parker dam but lots of OT and on-call even if you don't want it lol.
If someone doesn't make it past application process to interview process maybe they were not qualified?

Above Parker dam?? As in, the windows you see above the flood gate chains??

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Above Parker dam?? As in, the windows you see above the flood gate chains??
Ha, no, at Gene the next pump plant up MWD road. I worked at a lot of the facilities and mountain tops on microwave, two way and network equipment. Always on the road.

nordictom

Reaction score
A member here works for them if I recall. @nordictom . Have a friend that works for them and a few friends family members if a member wanted the job and needs insight.
Thanks for Mentioning me NicPaus!

I think I can speak with experience (28 years at MWD). Sorry for the delayed response, just too busy to stay on RDP . I work at Lake Mathews, Const. Services Unit. For those that don't know, we are the MWD internal construction "company".

I looked at most of the responses, we do have different schedules, 4-10, 9-80, 5-8. Some classifications work 12 hour shifts, 24 /7. some the Desert Region jobs work: 4 on, 4 off, 4 on 2 off. e.g. M-Th: off Fri-Mon: Tue-Fri: of Sat - Sun: repeat...................

As far as getting hired, I think I have said this before, READ the job description. All applications are sent in via email, and then screened by HR Analyst(s), and I don't for sure; "computer Software" looking for key words. Knowing someone, and not knowing the job that you are applying for won't get you anywhere.

Oh, and BTW, the Supervisors Association in our last MOU, got MWD to implement a form all involved in the interview & testing progress need to sign, indicating that they are not related or other connection to the applicants. This was due to a ton of BS going on in the Desert Region.

Ok, NEXT; Benefits....... ours are pretty standard for working for a larger company. We do get sick time, vacation time, but as far as Medical, eye, dental; my daughter has better plans than me at the Corp where she works.

With the new CalPers retire plan (PEPRA) signed into law by Moon Beam, this doesn't make us very attractive, retirement wise.

If you really want to see some insight into MWD, read the LA Times articles that have been written about us. Follow that up with a report that was just released (can be found on the MWD Website) by the Shaw Law Group. And take it all for what's its worth.

Feel free to message me......................... NT

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Mike kern used to work there nuclear engineer title made great money he offered me a job some water tech job 1991

C-2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've always wondered...

How much liquid fills pipes like that?
Are the pipes 100% full of liquid, or 80% (?) full with an air gap between the liquid and the roof of the pipe?
Is there less liquid in pipes going up hill, like the pipes in the pics?

C-2

Reaction score
Pushed only, or pushed and also pulled from the top?

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Just pushed to an open area at the top where the three lines combine and start flowing downhill to the next lift, after the last pump plant it’s downhill to is final destination for storage and then treatment. I did IT/comm stuff so not a water expert but listened to what was going on when I was working in the different plants. Depending on how many pumps are running 1,2 or all 3 of the lines could be in service.

1627578955126.jpeg

1627579115847.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for Mentioning me NicPaus!

I think I can speak with experience (28 years at MWD). Sorry for the delayed response, just too busy to stay on RDP . I work at Lake Mathews, Const. Services Unit. For those that don't know, we are the MWD internal construction "company".

I looked at most of the responses, we do have different schedules, 4-10, 9-80, 5-8. Some classifications work 12 hour shifts, 24 /7. some the Desert Region jobs work: 4 on, 4 off, 4 on 2 off. e.g. M-Th: off Fri-Mon: Tue-Fri: of Sat - Sun: repeat...................

As far as getting hired, I think I have said this before, READ the job description. All applications are sent in via email, and then screened by HR Analyst(s), and I don't for sure; "computer Software" looking for key words. Knowing someone, and not knowing the job that you are applying for won't get you anywhere.

Oh, and BTW, the Supervisors Association in our last MOU, got MWD to implement a form all involved in the interview & testing progress need to sign, indicating that they are not related or other connection to the applicants. This was due to a ton of BS going on in the Desert Region.

Ok, NEXT; Benefits....... ours are pretty standard for working for a larger company. We do get sick time, vacation time, but as far as Medical, eye, dental; my daughter has better plans than me at the Corp where she works.

With the new CalPers retire plan (PEPRA) signed into law by Moon Beam, this doesn't make us very attractive, retirement wise.

If you really want to see some insight into MWD, read the LA Times articles that have been written about us. Follow that up with a report that was just released (can be found on the MWD Website) by the Shaw Law Group. And take it all for what's its worth.

Feel free to message me......................... NT

Awesome to have you post on this stuff.

What the latest on Diamond Valley? I hear that lake is FULL! Is Silverwood full as well? It supplies DV, correct??

C-2

Reaction score
Lake Matthews is pretty full too, not spilling across the roadway as it does during a heavy rain season, but it's full.

Might need to dust off the saltwater rods for an evening catfish commando mission! The lake is full enough that we wouldn't get swallowed up by the muddy shoreline.

C-2

Reaction score
Oops, what I mean to say was the guy on the shitter at Mead said MWD drilled a hole down to China and that's where the Powell water is going. :D

nordictom

Reaction score
Awesome to have you post on this stuff.

What the latest on Diamond Valley? I hear that lake is FULL! Is Silverwood full as well? It supplies DV, correct??
I see you got an answer on the Lake(s) situation.

In the last few years, & I will give some credit to the MWD Water Resource Teams, the shift of water deliveries is dynamic( I guess that would be a good word). Water is moved around due to the "allocations" from the Colorado River & the State Water Project. I can't even begin to explain the process. I used to have a few guys that worked the Distribution Center (they retired) & I could get all kind of info. Daughters teachers used to love when I would send all the data to school with her, for her science classes. talk about info overload.

NT

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I see you got an answer on the Lake(s) situation.

In the last few years, & I will give some credit to the MWD Water Resource Teams, the shift of water deliveries is dynamic( I guess that would be a good word). Water is moved around due to the "allocations" from the Colorado River & the State Water Project. I can't even begin to explain the process. I used to have a few guys that worked the Distribution Center (they retired) & I could get all kind of info. Daughters teachers used to love when I would send all the data to school with her, for her science classes. talk about info overload.

NT

I follow the MWD on Instaface. That's how I found the first post in this thread!

I'd LOVE to talk to you more about DV. I watched that whole deal from when they first imminent domained the properties to build Lake Domaigami, to when they changed it to DV and said sorry, no body to water contact.

Am I bitter? Yeah, a bit. But what's done is done. Would just love to know how it all played out. 😊

riverroyal

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've always wondered...

How much liquid fills pipes like that?
Are the pipes 100% full of liquid, or 80% (?) full with an air gap between the liquid and the roof of the pipe?
Is there less liquid in pipes going up hill, like the pipes in the pics?
Full. Air is your enemy in pipe. There are auto air vents somewhere at the top to get out and turbulence which may have trapped some bubbles.

Reactions: C-2

nordictom

Reaction score
I follow the MWD on Instaface. That's how I found the first post in this thread!

I'd LOVE to talk to you more about DV. I watched that whole deal from when they first imminent domained the properties to build Lake Domaigami, to when they changed it to DV and said sorry, no body to water contact.

Am I bitter? Yeah, a bit. But what's done is done. Would just love to know how it all played out. 😊

I wish I could elaborate more on the Diamond Valley Lake, but you probably know more then me LOL. I was at the Board meeting when the naming of the lake was being discussed. Since MWD lost the court battle with the people that lived there, I doubt they were going to name the lake after them. I have heard about the water park & water ski lake & who know what else was supposed to be built on the east side of the lake, I am guessing, there are still people pissed that besides the museum & a small water park, it just vacant land.

NT

Taboma

Reaction score
I wish I could elaborate more on the Diamond Valley Lake, but you probably know more then me LOL. I was at the Board meeting when the naming of the lake was being discussed. Since MWD lost the court battle with the people that lived there, I doubt they were going to name the lake after them. I have heard about the water park & water ski lake & who know what else was supposed to be built on the east side of the lake, I am guessing, there are still people pissed that besides the museum & a small water park, it just vacant land.

NT

Way back when they'd just started grading out there I was approached to invest in a large tract of land adjacent to the lake. Was a for sure thing, already had developers lined up to build a RV park and other lake oriented facilities --- a sure thing.
For several reasons I did not invest, and to this day the land sits vacant. Now, 20 some years later, it's probably going to make somebody wealthy as the housing developments are now flooding the area -- oh well, but the party who approached me sold out long ago and didn't make squat.

C-2

Reaction score
Nobody on HotBoat cared at the time when the meetings about DV recreation were taking place. The bass fisherman were all over it and had a decently organized group to act as their voice.

And yes, the eminent domain case didn't go too well for MWD and was a shot across the bow for cities and redevelopment agencies and their ability to condemn land for public use. After that trial, peeps started fighting more, lol.