WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speaking of TAXES - it's tax time again. What do you do?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Now that the tax laws changed, does everyone do their own using one of the tax software programs?

We've always had a tax accountant do our taxes but he's in CA and we're in AZ so it's time to reassess our options.

If you're using software, what do you like? If you know of a great tax guy in the PHX area please recommend. Thanks

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If it's simple write offs and straight forward deductions use Turbo tax.
If you have investments, trust funds included with other financial transactions then a CPA.
I'm still trying to find those tax loopholes the liberals say we have.

We're just down to writing off Maynard. That's it.

RCDave

Reaction score
I bend over and take it. It always sucks to take it in the back passage by an all powerful government that wastes our money benefiting itself....

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I had K1 distributions a couple times over the last 15 years, and I used a CPA those years because I didn't understand enough to know where to start.

Now I have a house and an income property, kid, dependent girlfriend, and I think TurboTax did a fine job covering all the bases. We'll try a CPA next year maybe to compare.

dribble

Reaction score
I've always used Turbo Tax. I used the Premier when I sold rental property and had deferred expenses and capital gains. The only problem I ever had was when I got a letter from the IRS stating that I under reported $96,000 of income three years earlier and attached was a bill for $38,000, for taxes penalties and three years worth of interest. I sent them back a three paged tabbed letter in a binder with exhibits and red sticky arrows pointing out where they were mistaken. They sent a letter back within a month that essentially said "our mistake, thanks for clearing that up".

Reactions: C-2

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Believe it or not Ive been using Www.fileyourtaxes.com for about 20 years. It was one of the few back then that was listed on IRS website.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Turbo Tax. With the increased standard deduction I don't even itemize so I could probably just do them myself and save the cost of the software.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Nothing......Everything that I do is for cash and under the table so I don’t have to do anything. Oh, I do have to re up on my welfare this year. :looking:

J/K we drop off everything to our CPA and he goes to town. He will call me in a couple of weeks to come in a review what is being done. 👍

sintax

Reaction score
not too sure, all i know is that our forefathers would have broken out the tar and feathers decades ago! Hell they started a brand new country over it.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have used H&R block tax software for years and never had any problems. Getting all the paperwork together is the hardest part and no cpa can do that part for you.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I have used H&R block tax software for years and never had any problems. Getting all the paperwork together is the hardest part and no cpa can do that part for you.

Exactly, I use quicken and just run a year end report by category

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I got married last year. My wife has a LLC but really it’s just a side business. It turns a profit but we don’t really use money from it so it just sits in the account. So, I am now married for the first time doing taxes, now have 2 dependents and a business. Not sure if TurboTax will be right for us as my wife kinda fucked a few things up and paid people from her personal account and sometimes even Venmo versus using company checks. Anyone have any leads on a tax guy in the IE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
CPA’s are not always the best. I was an active CPA and now have an inactive license. I did ZERO with taxes when I was an active CPA. You want to use someone who has a practice that focuses on taxes, like @shintoooo!

I used a lawyer who specializes in taxes. He still has an active CPA, but also his Masters in Taxation. Spent $$ to execute tax planning in 2017 and setup my returns until the tax laws change. I draft my returns in TurboTax and send them to him for review. He reviews, sends me comments and I compete the filing process.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have an account that does my taxes for my business and personal. She handles everything and kicks ass.

caribbean20

Reaction score
CPA’s are not always the best. I was an active CPA and now have an inactive license. I did ZERO with taxes when I was an active CPA. You want to use someone who has a practice that focuses on taxes, like @shintoooo!

I used a lawyer who specializes in taxes. He still has an active CPA, but also his Masters in Taxation. Spent $$ to execute tax planning in 2017 and setup my returns until the tax laws change. I draft my returns in TurboTax and send them to him for review. He reviews, sends me comments and I compete the filing process.
TurboTax. I’m an inactive CPA too but I practiced tax for 10 years with Price Waterhouse before moving on, 30 years ago. Still kinda know my way around the Internal Revenue Code.

riverroyal

Reaction score
What do i do? Apparently give the gov a shit load money.
The SALT crap crushed me.
So much i think im moving and getting into a different area with less prop taxes

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
#2 pencil and do it myself, since 1995. I’ve never had anything complicated. The higher Standard Deduction with the Fed has actually benefited us. But, we itemize on state return, requiring completing the Fed Sch A anyways.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
hard to beat the standard 24k. i use turbotax back on the 27th and have already received both fed and state returns direct deposit.

farmo83

Reaction score
I used to use HR Block but when I got married we started using Turbo Tax. We don't have anything complicated so I file it myself.

Singleton

Reaction score
I used to use HR Block but when I got married we started using Turbo Tax. We don't have anything complicated so I file it myself.

when I was a college student, HR Block would hire accounting students at the local offices during tax season. a large percentage had no clue WTF they were doing.
I remember telling my dad (Big 4 Global Accounting Partner) I got the job on a Tuesday, I resigned Wednesday before working one hour.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Now that the tax laws changed, does everyone do their own using one of the tax software programs?

We've always had a tax accountant do our taxes but he's in CA and we're in AZ so it's time to reassess our options.

If you're using software, what do you like? If you know of a great tax guy in the PHX area please recommend. Thanks
I have a tax guy I use near Pinnacle Peak and 43 ave area. PM me if you want his contact and I can discuss him more with you.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It’s the best $300 spent every year and we about the easiest tax to prepare. I’m sure he’s getting me more than $300 to cover the cost than if we did it ourselves.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When I read the title...first thought:
"Who's askin'? Why you need'n to know?"
Paranoid, hick response....

I use American Financial Investments in Prescott. Husband and wife, both were bigtime for HP and some other high zoot deal. I actually got set up with them by one of my more well off, retired friends. They are sharp, and can deal with ballers, and cheap/broke people like me. They also are very good about help throughout the year, if stuff pops up, anything from deaths to property sales. Emails and phonecalls, stuff like getting back to a person like me quickly really stood out over the past 5 years.