WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Special Ornaments On The Tree

Nordie

Reaction score
When I was a little kid my Grandma Harris was big on tradition and what went on the tree. After my Grandma passed away there was a ton of antiques and family treasures that sat. Grandma always made sure to tell us of all (well almost) of our family heritage.

So my grandparents passed 5 weeks apart. I am pretty sure that 60 plus years of marriage, and losing your best friend, I believe it to be true that after one goes the other will not be far behind.

So back to the story a little, my grandma always had stuff on display in her imported hutch, and this ornament that was always on her tree (my great grandfather had hand carved). It is one of the last things that I have from my grandparents as my house was robbed while I was away in Florida, but I still have this.

Screenshot_20211210-152254_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211210-152247_Gallery.jpg

It is important to me that this goes on the tree every year.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
That's bad ass! I love that!

We are a younger family only being married 5 years with two kids, 3.5 and 1.5.
Our entire tree is keepsakes and memories from our time together and our kids stuff. Whenever we travel we get an ornament, their milestones get an ornament...etc
I have a ton from my childhood as we did the same thing in our house.
My wife also has a lot of her grandmothers old hand painted ornaments and such.

They're great memories and always look forward to getting the ornaments out because there is so much shit I forget about over the years!

707dog

Reaction score
That's bad ass! I love that!

We are a younger family only being married 5 years with two kids, 3.5 and 1.5.
Our entire tree is keepsakes and memories from our time together and our kids stuff. Whenever we travel we get an ornament, their milestones get an ornament...etc
I have a ton from my childhood as we did the same thing in our house.
My wife also has a lot of her grandmothers old hand painted ornaments and such.

They're great memories and always look forward to getting the ornaments out because there is so much shit I forget about over the years!
we are working that same thing kids just hit their teens and we still have all the ornaments they made in k/grade school and up plus personal made ones

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I still have ornaments that I had made as a child dating back to 1961. My parents would send hand-made ornaments to my wife and I every year (1986-1999) until their passing. We put them on the tree every year.

X Hoser

Reaction score
My wife’s mom bought each of our married children Waterford Crystal Ornaments for Christmas. Now that she has passed my wife continues the tradition with our kids, and will start anew with the Grandkids when they marry. My daughter has a separate tree just for these ornaments.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
We have some special ornaments but the cool thing is my Dad still puts his train set he got in 1947 when he was 5. Still works

I bet it's a metal/tin one, on a metal-ish track... Not the plastic crap they sell now. We just took the boys to the polar Express dealio and other things in Williams, Az. To get him excited about our trip we bought a train for around the tree. It wasn't cheap, and it's all plastic. But at the end of the day He loves it! And that's all that matters right now!

HBCraig

Reaction score
I bet it's a metal/tin one, on a metal-ish track... Not the plastic crap they sell now. We just took the boys to the polar Express dealio and other things in Williams, Az. To get him excited about our trip we bought a train for around the tree. It wasn't cheap, and it's all plastic. But at the end of the day He loves it! And that's all that matters right now!
100%

Metal and it actually sparks on occasion

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
When I was a little kid my Grandma Harris was big on tradition and what went on the tree. After my Grandma passed away there was a ton of antiques and family treasures that sat. Grandma always made sure to tell us of all (well almost) of our family heritage.

So my grandparents passed 5 weeks apart. I am pretty sure that 60 plus years of marriage, and losing your best friend, I believe it to be true that after one goes the other will not be far behind.

So back to the story a little, my grandma always had stuff on display in her imported hutch, and this ornament that was always on her tree (my great grandfather had hand carved). It is one of the last things that I have from my grandparents as my house was robbed while I was away in Florida, but I still have this.

View attachment 1073246 View attachment 1073247

It is important to me that this goes on the tree every year.
Very nice. I was hesitant to open this thread given what some members might post but you always seem to have a lot of class so I figured it was safe.