WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Special thanks to Mike Kuhl!

vee-driven

Reaction score
Thanks for costing me my weekend and hopefully not my motor. This river rat water pump was new with only and hour or so on my old boat and i put a new impeller in it right before i took it to the river. i got maybe 5 minuites out of it before the motor hit 250 degrees. looks like i will be upgrading to a Magnaflow pump now.

Attachments

• kuhl pump.jpg
    kuhl pump.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 822

500bbc

Reaction score
Was that a new pump?:headscratch:
Did you call him?

vee-driven

Reaction score
I heard he was outta business. i guess you would call it new old stock, i had it for years and never used it till now. I will trade it for a new Magnaflow pump.

overpriced hallet

Reaction score
He is still around, but just fiddles around his shop. I don't have a magnaflow pump but let me know if you wanna get rid of it

500bbc

Reaction score
I heard he was outta business. i guess you would call it new old stock, i had it for years and never used it till now. I will trade it for a new Magnaflow pump.

He has a stellar reputation. Call him and see what he says. Get ahold of Jerry (Sharpshooter) too. He posted a pic of a boken shaft awhile back, it was twisted though.

vee-driven

Reaction score
it is a great little pump or should i say was, i think it should have a bigger hex drive since i know we have all busted an allan wrenche or two.

500bbc

Reaction score
it is a great little pump or should i say was, i think it should have a bigger hex drive since i know we have all busted an allan wrenche or two.

Mine has been fine, they've been run for years with no problems. They spin the hell out of them in the drag and circle boats.

Some shithead bought Mike's business a few years ago and ripped a shit load of people off. If that pump is from that era it might have been made from low quality stock. Call Kuhl and let him know what happend or you can get a replacement shaft from Braaksma. Or since you're not injected I could trade you for my Magnaflow with blower extension that I was running before I put the hat.

Jay (UL4) said you were pretty pissed haulin the boat out last weekend.:D
You could break into his storage and steal the one off his blown flatty that has been bullet proof for over twenty years.

I'm in UL8.:D:D

Attachments

• PC010535_1.JPG
    PC010535_1.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:

vee-driven

Reaction score
Mine has been fine, they've been run for years with no problems. They spin the hell out of them in the drag and circle boats.

Some shithead bought Mike's business a few years ago and ripped a shit load of people off. If that pump is from that era it might have been made from low quality stock. Call Kuhl and let him know what happend or you can get a replacement shaft from Braaksma. Or since you're not injected I could trade you for my Magnaflow with blower extension that I was running before I put the hat.

Jay (UL3) said you were pretty pissed haulin the boat out last weekend.:D
You could break into his storage and steal the one off his blown flatty that has been bullet proof for over twenty years.

I'm in UL8.:D:D

You stay at echo lodge? Is that the 1" magnaflow? if so i am interested in trading.

500bbc

Reaction score
You stay at echo lodge? Is that the 1" magnaflow? if so i am interested in trading.

We own UL8, Jay (UL4) stopped to talk to you about your Rayson the day the shaft failed.

He bought your boat from Pat Eason several years ago and was going to put an AL Hemi in that he had. Never got around to it and sold it to a guy up north.

I'll see if I can get my pump back from J540, he "borrowed" it six years ago.:rolleyes:

vee-driven

Reaction score
LOL, borrowed it. im going to throw the pump and cover up for sale since i need to recoupe some dough to get the boat back together. keep me posted of you get it back. thanks

vee-driven

Reaction score
R.B. makes a precison ground hardened shaft for $169 he said the kuhl pump will flow more than i need and says the stock shafts were not heat treated and was surprised it snaped since i was not running a fuel pump on the back, what to do now.

500bbc

Reaction score
R.B. makes a precison ground hardened shaft for $169 he said the kuhl pump will flow more than i need and says the stock shafts were not heat treated and was surprised it snaped since i was not running a fuel pump on the back, what to do now.

I'd buy the hardened shaft. There had to have been a flaw with that one.
He's talking about drag cars running big fuel pumps snapping the older Kuhl's.
Are you running an oil cooler?

I can't get any heat in my deal without a thermostat, mondo oil cooler, MFI and the RR pump.

John "borrowed" mine years ago to match the impeller size on the water pump he made. At least the last time I talked to him it had been returned from Havasu and it's back on HIS bench.:D

vee-driven

Reaction score
I think i am going to order the shaft, RB swears by this design and the boats already setup for it, his WP shaft is far superior to the old design in strength and hardness. I am running a block mounted olsen cooler but i did not have it on that trip because with the milodon oil pan and you cant get to the dipstick so i took it off, another reason why im going to change out the milodon pan besides the pickups are prone to cracking and loosing oil pressure. Dooley said they can make my standard dooley pan into a stroker pan, new windage tray and pickup to clear plus the labor and re irridiate plate the pan, under $400 compared to almost $1000 for a new 14qt. Plus i wanted to get the oil cooler polished and run a remote mount oil filter for ease.

overpriced hallet

Reaction score
Hey let me know if you wanna trade the oil cooler block mount pice for the remote mount piece. ive been meaning to get the block mount pice but not high on the priority right now so let me know if you wanna horse trade?

500bbc

Reaction score
Yeah Milodon pan big mistake on a v-drive. Ask me how I know.:grumble::grumble::grumble:

You can keep the pan and have Armondos make you a new pickup, they are a very stout deal. I also had a problem getting the pan to seal on my Enderle front cover. I ended up using CP's vaccum presssurize the motor and spray soapy water trick, no more oil leaks.:thumbsup:D

If you have Dooley do the pan have them put the screw in dipstick on, seals great.

I wonder if the Kuhl design being old has a problem with the common mondo HP deals everyone has now unlike twenty/thirty years ago? Ask RB maybe he has some input.

vee-driven

Reaction score
The milodon pan is going bye bye. i will just have dooley modify my dooley pan for the 4.5 stroke and im gonna stick with the car style dipstick my pan already has because its super ez and accessible. RB told me it could have been a flaw and his wp shaft is hardened and wont break.

vee-driven

Reaction score
Hey let me know if you wanna trade the oil cooler block mount pice for the remote mount piece. ive been meaning to get the block mount pice but not high on the priority right now so let me know if you wanna horse trade?

Im gonna keep my cooler block mounted, just remote mount the filter.

j540

Reaction score
I'd buy the hardened shaft. There had to have been a flaw with that one.
He's talking about drag cars running big fuel pumps snapping the older Kuhl's.
Are you running an oil cooler?

I can't get any heat in my deal without a thermostat, mondo oil cooler, MFI and the RR pump.

John "borrowed" mine years ago to match the impeller size on the water pump he made. At least the last time I talked to him it had been returned from Havasu and it's back on HIS bench.:D

HAHAHA yeah I just looked at it I'll put it back together and bring it down to you................... If I can find all the parts.LOL

But those pump shafts are heat treated. I use to turn a 80-A pump off mine with no prob, Plus if my shaft breaks the fuel pump stops motor stops and No over heat.

If you guys want I make a all in one dual pump deal. I'll post up a pic if you might be interested, There good if you have an Intercooler,oil cooler,Trans cooler and other stuff. and I run my 80-A pump off it now for the last 6yr, works good.

Put a water psi guage on, It might help

Last edited:

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
I've got a Magna flow I'll trade ya for that Kuhl.

schroon

Reaction score
I have two Mike Kuhl pumps 4 sale, 1 has an hour on it the other is new. I have been using one of his pumps for 18 years on my Blown Gas Day Cruiser and never broke one. Only replaced bearings, o-rings and impeller. Great pump for staking fuel pump.