WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Spectra 20 jet questions

WillowOG

Reaction score
I'm in the hunt for a spectra 20 jet project and had some questions. First off what years where full stringer? Or was full stringer only on v-drive and outdrive boats? Second did all of them have the non skid around the edge of the bow? And was that done in the mold? Tia

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
I'm in the hunt for a spectra 20 jet project and had some questions. First off what years where full stringer? Or was full stringer only on v-drive and outdrive boats? Second did all of them have the non skid around the edge of the bow? And was that done in the mold? Tia

All years of the Spectra v-drives were four full stringers with the center bulkhead.

71-74 Jets & v-drives were four full stringers & center bulkhead (also had a foam core in the deck).

75-78 Jets were motor box only.

79-81 Jets went back to four stringers.

NON Skid is on all Spectra's (18, 20, 24 & 32) except the Spectra 19. I think its in the mold, but not sure.

IMO, if your doing a project get a 71-74 Spectra 20 hull.

Thank You,

Brent

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Up to 1974 Spectra made the v-drives & jets (18,20 & 24's) the same, four full stringers, foam type core in the deck and a center bulkhead in front of the v-drive.

From 1975-1978 the jets (18,19 & 20's) were motor boxes.

The v-drives always had four stringers with the center bulkhead and no foam core deck, but half round for deck support.

1979-1981 Spectra went back to four stringers for all hulls.

I believe all sterndrives were full stringers for all years.

The non-skid is done in the mold, a PITA to repair if it's messed up.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I don't think the non skid is done in the mold and that's why so many crack, Schida's are done in the mold you can see the pattern in them.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I don't think the non skid is done in the mold and that's why so many crack, Schida's are done in the mold you can see the pattern in them.

You mean the aging of the resin cracking?

I am almost positive it was done in the mold, my 79 is so perfect where it is laid, I don't see how they could have applied it that cleanly after the fact...

But hey, always open to learn new things :thumbup: maybe someone will chime in who was there:p

I know you just re-gelled your entire boat...was it a separate layer laid on top of the mold? You would know firsthand then. :)

If it is a separate layer, props to whoever was doing it, it is such a perfect circle on my 20', the exact same distance the whole way around.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
You mean the aging of the resin cracking?

I am almost positive it was done in the mold, my 79 is so perfect where it is laid, I don't see how they could have applied it that cleanly after the fact...

But hey, always open to learn new things :thumbup: maybe someone will chime in who was there:p

I know you just re-gelled your entire boat...was it a separate layer laid on top of the mold? You would know firsthand then. :)

If it is a separate layer, props to whoever was doing it, it is such a perfect circle on my 20', the exact same distance the whole way around.
I wasn't there, nor do I know if they did it in the mold but absolutely could have been done either way.

From what I remember doing it external was done with a roller. Sand added to the gel and rolled onto the sections masked off, prepped etc.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I am thinking not in the mold because when we took mine off the gel coat under didn't have any texture to it could have been the big as 24 grit pad as well :) My pea brain is thinking if in the mold it would be the first thing shot giving it a smooth texture vs. the sand texture. This is just my guessing I am sure we have some gel coat guys here that know. I was so used to picking up a phone or swinging by B&K boats when a question like this came up, the thought came to me that "Ken would know" but dam it we lost him last year, I really miss that man. I am pretty sure I had this conversation with him at one time as well and that's why I know that the Schiada non skid is part of the mold.

Attachments

• 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 000_0017.jpg
    000_0017.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 119

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I am thinking not in the mold because when we took mine off the gel coat under didn't have any texture to it could have been the big as 24 grit pad as well :) My pea brain is thinking if in the mold it would be the first thing shot giving it a smooth texture vs. the sand texture. This is just my guessing I am sure we have some gel coat guys here that know. I was so used to picking up a phone or swinging by B&K boats when a question like this came up, the thought came to me that "Ken would know" but dam it we lost him last year, I really miss that man. I am pretty sure I had this conversation with him at one time as well and that's why I know that the Schiada non skid is part of the mold.

That yellow/white/pacalon is the original colors?

I can tell you the pacalon was last, so working from there out tells us how it was shot.
Looks like yellow, then white then the wood grain.
Makes sense to me, yellow is a low hide color, it needs to be backed with white or a white/yellow mix.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
To clear up any confusion here on the out or in the mold nonskid.
Applying to an existing boat is what I tried to describe in a previous post. A media added to the gel and applied.

If it was in the mold, the nonskid is part of the mold. You simply spray it with gel. No additives other than catalyst.

A couple of pics of in the mold non skid

image.jpg image.jpg

Masking around the swim step of a Hallett.

And the deck mold of a 285 deck boat. Lots of nonskid on this one.

They are both a patterned nonskid rather than the sand texture.

WillowOG

Reaction score
Thanks guys that's exactly what I was looking for. The non skid question was because I've looked at 2 and they both had stress cracks in the non skid and was thinking about how fucked the repair is going to be. And I keep looking at that one in Fresno but don't really have time for a road trip

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Thanks guys that's exactly what I was looking for. The non skid question was because I've looked at 2 and they both had stress cracks in the non skid and was thinking about how fucked the repair is going to be. And I keep looking at that one in Fresno but don't really have time for a road trip

It's definitely not the easiest repair, but there are several guys around that could handle a repair like that.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
That's the original trailer as well, beefy trailer for sure. Ill be in Visalia just East of Hanford in a few weeks, PM if you want me to take a look at it and shoot some more pics.

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
One popped up on Craigslist INLAND EMPIRE FOR $700 WITH TRAILER AND INTERIOR

Our 20 was boat 32 out of the mold and the walnut shell area was taped off and applied
in the mold we saw it being done. Total old school