WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Spectra 24’ fuel tank replacement

acehome

Reaction score
All,
I am working through phase two of my ‘77 24’ Spectra restoration project. Looking for advice and resource for fuel tanks.
I have cut open the original glass tanks to inspect and am now going to convert to new aluminum as many have done.
Questions:
1- do you cut out the whole old glass tank and supports, or use some of the molded in glass as attachments for the new aluminum?
2- does anyone have a source or drawings/ specs for what new tanks should be
3- the originals did not have vents nor sending units. Are vents needed with the original cast vented caps? What sending units have been used if any?
4- any other thoughts, ideas, or things to consider?
Thanks Lance

johnny79

Reaction score
All,
I am working through phase two of my ‘77 24’ Spectra restoration project. Looking for advice and resource for fuel tanks.
I have cut open the original glass tanks to inspect and am now going to convert to new aluminum as many have done.
Questions:
1- do you cut out the whole old glass tank and supports, or use some of the molded in glass as attachments for the new aluminum?
2- does anyone have a source or drawings/ specs for what new tanks should be
3- the originals did not have vents nor sending units. Are vents needed with the original cast vented caps? What sending units have been used if any?
4- any other thoughts, ideas, or things to consider?
Thanks Lance
I bet if you contacted IMCO they could answer all your questions. So many guys have done this with them on these boats i’m sure they know the answers to every question you may have. They aren’t cheap but well worth it. I have dual IMCO aluminum tanks in my 21 Spectra along with their electric fuel switch unit, works awesome.

johnny79

Reaction score
I bet if you contacted IMCO they could answer all your questions. So many guys have done this with them on these boats i’m sure they know the answers to every question you may have. They aren’t cheap but well worth it. I have dual IMCO aluminum tanks in my 21 Spectra along with their electric fuel switch unit, works awesome.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
X4 with imco call and talk to Steve, super cool guy and very helpful. He’s done 2 sets of tanks for me now and more than fair.

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
Any updates on the tanks?

I have my tanks out of my 24 and looking to get the new ones made.

Thank you!

Brent