WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Spectra 24’ fuel tank replacement

acehome

Reaction score
All,
I am working through phase two of my ‘77 24’ Spectra restoration project. Looking for advice and resource for fuel tanks.
I have cut open the original glass tanks to inspect and am now going to convert to new aluminum as many have done.
Questions:
1- do you cut out the whole old glass tank and supports, or use some of the molded in glass as attachments for the new aluminum?
2- does anyone have a source or drawings/ specs for what new tanks should be
3- the originals did not have vents nor sending units. Are vents needed with the original cast vented caps? What sending units have been used if any?
4- any other thoughts, ideas, or things to consider?
Thanks Lance

johnny79

Reaction score
All,
I am working through phase two of my ‘77 24’ Spectra restoration project. Looking for advice and resource for fuel tanks.
I have cut open the original glass tanks to inspect and am now going to convert to new aluminum as many have done.
Questions:
1- do you cut out the whole old glass tank and supports, or use some of the molded in glass as attachments for the new aluminum?
2- does anyone have a source or drawings/ specs for what new tanks should be
3- the originals did not have vents nor sending units. Are vents needed with the original cast vented caps? What sending units have been used if any?
4- any other thoughts, ideas, or things to consider?
Thanks Lance

I bet if you contacted IMCO they could answer all your questions. So many guys have done this with them on these boats i’m sure they know the answers to every question you may have. They aren’t cheap but well worth it. I have dual IMCO aluminum tanks in my 21 Spectra along with their electric fuel switch unit, works awesome.

johnny79

Reaction score
I bet if you contacted IMCO they could answer all your questions. So many guys have done this with them on these boats i’m sure they know the answers to every question you may have. They aren’t cheap but well worth it. I have dual IMCO aluminum tanks in my 21 Spectra along with their electric fuel switch unit, works awesome.

johnny79

Reaction score
This is the valve i have in my boat, works awesome and i think they also sell the sending units that go with it that switch back and forth between tanks on one single gauge.

Attachments

• 66070DF3-0A3C-43A7-BD29-EEACF22BAFA4.jpeg
    66070DF3-0A3C-43A7-BD29-EEACF22BAFA4.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 71

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
X4 with imco call and talk to Steve, super cool guy and very helpful. He’s done 2 sets of tanks for me now and more than fair.

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
Any updates on the tanks?

I have my tanks out of my 24 and looking to get the new ones made.

Thank you!

Brent

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I have some brand new imco tanks that might work for a 24. Pm me for more info

farmo83

Reaction score
A family friend as I believe the last 24 laid up and Rex rigged it. It has 2 55 gallon aluminum tanks and they are glassed into the bulkhead.

It also never pulled evenly so he tied them together at the bottom. It's illegal as sin and it's run that way for 40 years with no issues.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
A lot of times the tops of the glass tanks are left in and they put the new tanks inside them to help support. depends on how bad the glass is.
  • What caps do you have? if they are the Original Spectra (Nicson) heavy brass chrome caps they have a vent in the cap already and that will work for you. I like having the cap vent.
  • You don't have to put the exact tank back in there, I am not a fan of belly tanks, just a preference, but IMCO is the best source for this, a little pricy but you get what you pay for. I tool them my glass tanks or what was left of them after I cut them out of my 20 and they were spot on when I installed them.
  • Sending units, whoever makes your tanks should install these for you.
  • When installing remember that the boat will flex and the tank won't don't install too tight or you get cracked welds or worse.