WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed cars hit the assembly Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

outboard_256

Reaction score
Here is the rumor mill from other forums and facebook groups:

They started assembly line in April and were scheduled to start delivery in August. But found an issue with some check valve. They redesigned the part and had new parts made and were then scheduled to deliver in september/october. They started renting out properties to deliver in mass. They finally got EPA certs and are ready to deliver to non-ca owners and called the first ~100 owners. They got the new parts in and found out they left out a barb on one of the oil connections. They again have to redesign the part and get new ones made. They push delivery dates 5-8 weeks out so they can get the new parts made.

Here are the newest rumors: Hisun repurposed the assembly line for other models since speed was taking so long. So the first 100 cars are going to be hand built with production parts (basicaly the pre-production models we have been seeing for over a year now). Once they get there turn on the assembly line they will start mass production but unkown time line as of now. Another rumor is they found a new issue with the engine and don't have a solution yet, so no timeline when it will be fixed or new deliver dates. They will use CARB excuse until they find a solution. If they have to get new parts made it will push things back another 5-8 weeks. People are speculating that every day speed doesn't deliver they go more into debt. They don't know how long Robby can sustain this. Let's just say the general tone on other sites aren't like LOF where they will wait forever for the perfect speed utv. Lots of spots for sale and complaints from current deposit holders. If you wanted to buy a spot in the first 1000 at the original low locked in price it wouldn't be a hard right now. They are also not happy that weekly updates just suddenly stopped when people are asking the most questions. I would say that RDP is the most positive forum for speedutv and we only have like 5 actual deposit holders.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

They started assembly line in April and were scheduled to start delivery in August. But found an issue with some check valve. They redesigned the part and had new parts made and were then scheduled to deliver in september/october. They started renting out properties to deliver in mass. They finally got EPA certs and are ready to deliver to non-ca owners and called the first ~100 owners. They got the new parts in and found out they left out a barb on one of the oil connections. They again have to redesign the part and get new ones made. They push delivery dates 5-8 weeks out so they can get the new parts made.

Here are the newest rumors: Hisun repurposed the assembly line for other models since speed was taking so long. So the first 100 cars are going to be hand built with production parts (basicaly the pre-production models we have been seeing for over a year now). Once they get there turn on the assembly line they will start mass production but unkown time line as of now. Another rumor is they found a new issue with the engine and don't have a solution yet, so no timeline when it will be fixed or new deliver dates. They will use CARB excuse until they find a solution. If they have to get new parts made it will push things back another 5-8 weeks. People are speculating that every day speed doesn't deliver they go more into debt. They don't know how long Robby can sustain this. Let's just say the general tone on other sites aren't like LOF where they will wait forever for the perfect speed utv. Lots of spots for sale and complaints from current deposit holders. If you wanted to buy a spot in the first 1000 at the original low locked in price it wouldn't be a hard right now. They are also not happy that weekly updates just suddenly stopped when people are asking the most questions. I would say that RDP is the most positive forum for speedutv and we only have like 5 actual deposit holders.

If people are worried they can sell their spot to me for cost.. lots of complaints about timelines but I haven’t got any takers yet. :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Plenty on Facebook at cost. Last one I saw at cost that was low number was 65x or something like that. They wanted out

I'm not saying there are none, but most sub 1K reservations holders want a markup. The one @EPL just posted and deleted was #17XX and the guy wants $2500.

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
This post should be good for at least 2 more pages !! 🤣🤣
Just look at how much space we are occupying in his head, rent free. And this is a holiday weekend coming up. A long holiday weekend.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
From today on a FB post.
speed.jpg

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I wish RG the best, and really want him to succeed. If he pulls it off, it will be a great addition to the SXS world. At this point it’s not looking good to have major issues popping up right before production. Those should have been found months ago.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I wish RG the best, and really want him to succeed. If he pulls it off, it will be a great addition to the SXS world. At this point it’s not looking good to have major issues popping up right before production. Those should have been found months ago.
What makes you assume they are Major?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

How would mass production issues be found before mass production?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I pay attention, I have not seen any Major issues, only small issues.

FWIW, I'm within the first 100 cars, so I'm definitely paying attention.

Legit question-

Let’s say you get the car by April even, and it’s decent. Are you mad you didn’t get the car this week and had to deal with multiple small issues?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Whenever you have to go back and redesign parts when you are supposed to be in production..... that’s a big issue.

Then every manufacturer suffers big issues all the time. That happens constantly. Polaris has big issues every year.

Fixing what they know about before giving them to customers is a solution to the big issue.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Whenever you have to go back and redesign parts when you are supposed to be in production..... that’s a big issue.
in the last Month +, they've had a check valve on an oil separator, and a barb on a similar vapor separator on the Turbo drain back. I wouldn't call those major issues to redesign, but could have been major issues if not corrected.

A motor, transmission, differential redesign I would consider Major.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Those were not assembly line produced with final production parts were they?

No.
speed posted it.... claiming cars coming off the assembly line.

I guess you can decipher that however you want to. Didn't know they needed disclaimers on whether they were "final production parts" lol

whatever.... I'm not the one waiting for one, and you seem not to care when you get yours... so it's all good.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
3 years is not a rush!

Some food for thought, when racing the 1000 this year, on of our drivers Co-driver works for Polaris, he's from Minnesota. My Speed car came up, and he actually said "whats that" I described it to him, and he wanted to see pictures. He was pretty impressed, I was surprised he hadn't heard of it, but I took that as he's from Minnesota, and also that maybe Polaris really didn't care that much.

When I described the timeline from start to where we are now after 3 years, he was genuinely impressed at being able to develop, build parts, and secure a manufacturer in 3 years. he said the Polaris R, took Polaris over 3 years to develop, and they didn't have to start from the ground up as a new company.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Some food for thought, when racing the 1000 this year, on of our drivers Co-driver works for Polaris, he's from Minnesota. My Speed car came up, and he actually said "whats that" I described it to him, and he wanted to see pictures. He was pretty impressed, I was surprised he hadn't heard of it, but I took that as he's from Minnesota, and also that maybe Polaris really didn't care that much.

When I described the timeline from start to where we are now after 3 years, he was genuinely impressed at being able to develop, build parts, and secure a manufacturer in 3 years. he said the Polaris R, took Polaris over 3 years to develop, and they didn't have to start from the ground up as a new company.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Was his name LOF From The Frozen North?

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
When you lose your place in the production line of a factory, that is a major entanglement and cost. Just ask the automakers when they gave up their place with the chip manufacturers.

mbrown2

Reaction score
So what was the bet here....1st person gets the car by 12/3?

Its crazy the negative energy he is getting before even release but delays and cryptic communication get you that. I think they face more scrutiny once released in the hands of customers, things break and parts and replacements become issues... I cannot see a company surviving with so many negative headwinds going into a recession and coming out of pandemic... Maybe 1K-2K units get released but the technology and innovation grows stale because of lack of capital due to the reduced pricing up front and ongoing debt incurred by not getting to market sooner...

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
So what was the bet here....1st person gets the car by 12/3?

Its crazy the negative energy he is getting before even release but delays and cryptic communication get you that. I think they face more scrutiny once released in the hands of customers, things break and parts and replacements become issues... I cannot see a company surviving with so many negative headwinds going into a recession and coming out of pandemic... Maybe 1K-2K units get released but the technology and innovation grows stale because of lack of capital due to the reduced pricing up front and ongoing debt incurred by not getting to market sooner...
I don’t think anyone ever really had a bet I had a running joke going with lof that my kids due date was 12-3 and that the kid would be here before he got his speed car which is going to be true

JDKRXW

Reaction score
This is why established manufacturers do 1 or even 2 pre-production' runs, ie; 50 or so units then a couple of hundred units (assuming the annual production is in the thousands - like this is).
This is not prototyping. It's where assembly line snags are found - and anything that may be missed in prototyping often pops up and more importantly, can be fixed before massive campaigns are needed to fix an oil line that doesn't have a barbed end on it.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Based on the above:
> First 100 customers/cars will be pre-production models. Not something I'd ever want to own
> If there's an engine issue 5-8 weeks (noted above) is likely very optimistic unless it's not an internal engine component

Welcome to 2023 for any cars after the 100 pre-production parts

Good thing "someone doesn't care" when he'll get his car - that's at least one customer willing to wait til next year

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
in the last Month +, they've had a check valve on an oil separator, and a barb on a similar vapor separator on the Turbo drain back. I wouldn't call those major issues to redesign, but could have been major issues if not corrected.

A motor, transmission, differential redesign I would consider Major.
Sorry but I completely disagree. Any time a production line has to be stopped..... new parts designed or redesigned, manufactured and then shipped to the assembly plant.... that’s a big deal. It’s not just adding a new clamp at station six. These issues are taking a long time, and a lot of money to sort out. And theses are just what they are saying out loud

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Then every manufacturer suffers big issues all the time. That happens constantly. Polaris has big issues every year.

Fixing what they know about before giving them to customers is a solution to the big issue.
RG is not an establishment manufacturer He is a startup. Big difference. They can absorb the cost. He..... well, I hope he can.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Sorry but I completely disagree. Any time a production line has to be stopped..... new parts designed or redesigned, manufactured and then shipped to the assembly plant.... that’s a big deal. It’s not just adding a new clamp at station six. These issues are taking a long time, and a lot of money to sort out. And theses are just what they are saying out loud

Well if you paid attention, those parts are designed/redesigned in house with Speeds engineers, and Hisuns manufacturing, no shipping.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
RG is not an establishment manufacturer He is a startup. Big difference. They can absorb the cost. He..... well, I hope he can.

Exactly. He can’t absorb the cost of problems after delivery.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
stop using the Pro R as a comparison. That was not 'crowd funded'. It was not 'non refundable' deposit.
View attachment 1174195

Then stop worrying about the timeline and let them finish the car. You also got no updates at all on the status of the Pro R. Just left to wonder when it will drop and what it would actually be.

And it still took them longer to develop the Pro R..

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Exactly. He can’t absorb the cost of problems after delivery.

He may not be able to absorb the cost of problems before delivery. Let's see how this plays out "oh optimistic uncaring one"

Then stop worrying about the timeline and let them finish the car. You also got no updates at all on the status of the Pro R. Just left to wonder when it will drop and what it would actually be.

And it still took them longer to develop the Pro R..

The development time of the Pro R is irrelevant as has been said many times. Polaris has a lot of vehicles and priorities and they're a highly successful vehicle manufacturing company with a proven track record. Their timeline and urgency to release the Pro R was their own. And when they released it people bought it as it's now a production vehicle. Comparing Speed to Polaris is an insult to Polaris

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
He may not be able to absorb the cost of problems before delivery. Let's see how this plays out "oh optimistic uncaring one"

The development time of the Pro R is irrelevant as has been said many times. Polaris has a lot of vehicles and priorities and they're a highly successful vehicle manufacturing company with a proven track record. Their timeline and urgency to release the Pro R was their own. And when they released it people bought it as it's now a production vehicle. Comparing Speed to Polaris is an insult to Polaris
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tell that to the owners of RZRs that caught fire and burned to the ground.

Polaris should feel emasculated.. they fail at product rollouts and have recalls year after year.

So yes Dan, keep arguing Polaris is the gold standard of quality in the UTV space just to disagree with me 🤣.

Tell me about all the startups you’ve been apart of again!

Status
Not open for further replies.