WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed cars hit the assembly Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It's kind of funny how all you Speed UTV dreamers can make fun of all the other SXS's out there that people are driving or at least have parked in their garage when this is all you have ! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What’s funnier is you all think our garages are empty.. 🤣

Demlockian

Reaction score
Is it? There is more evidence now than ever that they are inching closer to production.

If this is a scam, they robbed us of $10m to spend $20m+ .If a scam, it is costing them money at this point to keep the scam going and it would already be over.

As stated above by @Demlockian they never should have given out dates or at least should have stopped giving them out.
I don't believe Speed UTV is looking to scam future owners. As LOF mentioned, they have invested around $12M of investor dollars (4,000 deposits x $3,000 each). I can only imagine the actual costs far exceed the $12M, meaning Robby/Todd must have invested personal funds, along with other investors (i.e. Hisun). To walk away from Speed UTV would be catastrophic for all parties. Before a complete walk away happened, I would imagine a transfer of ownership (Hisun buy-out?). Any owner transfer would be bad for the deposit holders.

Rather than an intentional scam, worst case scenario is a default on payments/loans. Every month Speed fails to ship products, investors are loosing funds. Let's say Speed is operating with a surplus budget of $1M and has costs of $150,000 per month to stay afloat. After 6 and 1/2 months, Speed would enter default. Obviously, we don't know Speeds situation. Its entirely possible they have no loans, with Robby/Todd using personal funds for everything.

As LOF has hit numerous times, Speed cannot release the vehicles pre-maturely. Robby himself has stated they will not release a vehicle unless they are 110% confident in its reliability and performance. I couldn't imagine having a car next week, only to have to tow it back 300 miles to Havasu to have a seal/gasket replaced. The financial and credibility damage to Speed would be worse than delays.

My background is in military aviation; 8 years in fighter aircraft maintenance and 2 years in unmanned aircrew. I have three associates degrees, a bachelors, and masters of engineering. As much as I have liked watching Daniel (?? name ??) do the presentations, making your lead engineer a fresh from college graduate was a mistake. He would have been a great second or advisor, but not lead. While he may be extremely brilliant and dedicated, you can only have so much knowledge being fresh from college. A seasoned engineer/project manager would have been a better pick. Someone from Polaris/Can Am/Ford/etc... that understands the process of designing large scale products.

For those who have built high end Jeep buggies, sand cars, or tube buggies, we understand what Speed brings. If you look back at the Design Presentations (PowerPoints) and watch the videos, you will quickly release this is more of a "buggy" than side-by-side. Best way to explain it, imagine Polaris RZR as a beefed up quad/ATV. It's got the same design elements/theory, just upscaled. Now the Speed is more of a downsized tube buggy. Speed and Polaris/Can Am took completely different approaches when building the cars.

I may sound like a "Speed Hater", but I am not. I am somewhere between LOF's "I can wait forever" and "I need something now". What rubs me the wrong way is how Speed treats customers and lack of communication. They set an extremely high standard of communication and have all but said "f^%# it" these past six months.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
You are welcome to go be poor and slow at the Honda dealer. There is a reason there are Talons there.
The speed car’s not out yet. Can you really speculate where speed car is compared to other until a true comparison is done?
See above...the Chinese are pillars of quality and the absolute quality of this Chinese made piece of "American" machinery is unquestionable. The sheer skill and craftsmanship of the Chinese "laborers" is leaps and bounds ahead of anything a Japanese, American, Mexican, or any other nationality built machine could ever dream of being. Coming soon to a harbor freight, I mean "UTV" dealer near you.... Also remember if you don't throw down money that you "don't care about" then you are poor. Your Honda is a pile of garbage unworthy of even being mentioned as it was not built by the all mighty Chinese knock off masters.🤣🤣🤣 Haven't you seen their reverse engineered "F150" The Foton Big General? 😂👀

Maybe if certain people called ol Hunter Biden this show could move a little faster... 🤣

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don't believe Speed UTV is looking to scam future owners. As LOF mentioned, they have invested around $12M of investor dollars (4,000 deposits x $3,000 each). I can only imagine the actual costs far exceed the $12M, meaning Robby/Todd must have invested personal funds, along with other investors (i.e. Hisun). To walk away from Speed UTV would be catastrophic for all parties. Before a complete walk away happened, I would imagine a transfer of ownership (Hisun buy-out?). Any owner transfer would be bad for the deposit holders.

Rather than an intentional scam, worst case scenario is a default on payments/loans. Every month Speed fails to ship products, investors are loosing funds. Let's say Speed is operating with a surplus budget of $1M and has costs of $150,000 per month to stay afloat. After 6 and 1/2 months, Speed would enter default. Obviously, we don't know Speeds situation. Its entirely possible they have no loans, with Robby/Todd using personal funds for everything.

As LOF has hit numerous times, Speed cannot release the vehicles pre-maturely. Robby himself has stated they will not release a vehicle unless they are 110% confident in its reliability and performance. I couldn't imagine having a car next week, only to have to tow it back 300 miles to Havasu to have a seal/gasket replaced. The financial and credibility damage to Speed would be worse than delays.

My background is in military aviation; 8 years in fighter aircraft maintenance and 2 years in unmanned aircrew. I have three associates degrees, a bachelors, and masters of engineering. As much as I have liked watching Daniel (?? name ??) do the presentations, making your lead engineer a fresh from college graduate was a mistake. He would have been a great second or advisor, but not lead. While he may be extremely brilliant and dedicated, you can only have so much knowledge being fresh from college. A seasoned engineer/project manager would have been a better pick. Someone from Polaris/Can Am/Ford/etc... that understands the process of designing large scale products.

For those who have built high end Jeep buggies, sand cars, or tube buggies, we understand what Speed brings. If you look back at the Design Presentations (PowerPoints) and watch the videos, you will quickly release this is more of a "buggy" than side-by-side. Best way to explain it, imagine Polaris RZR as a beefed up quad/ATV. It's got the same design elements/theory, just upscaled. Now the Speed is more of a downsized tube buggy. Speed and Polaris/Can Am took completely different approaches when building the cars.

I may sound like a "Speed Hater", but I am not. I am somewhere between LOF's "I can wait forever" and "I need something now". What rubs me the wrong way is how Speed treats customers and lack of communication. They set an extremely high standard of communication and have all but said "f^%# it" these past six months.

Great post.

Demlockian

Reaction score
3 years ago those cars had serious advantage over what was out at the time. Now they compare to the Honda talon.
Not to be a jerk, but this statement tells me the Speed car is not for you (really want to clarify, not a personal insult). Have you ever dropped $10,000 on shocks? $12,000 on custom built axles? $6,000 on suspension hard parts? As I mentioned briefly above, Polaris/Can Am/Honda/Kawasaki are all "quads" that have been upscaled to be larger and hold more people. The performance of these vehicles is still very much on the "toy" level. My Polaris RZR Turbo S 4 could never hold a candle to my old Wrangler, in any scenario. Yes, that includes running fast through whoop style terrain. Its shocks simply couldn't handle the abuse, nor could the suspension geometry.

Suspension geometry does not have a life cycle, it cannot become outdated. Simply put, suspension geometry/tuning/design on ALL side by sides is absolute garbage and nothing to be proud off. The only "benefit" to current side by sides from mainstream manufacturers is availability and better infotainment (i.e. Ride Command). With that said, I will be installing a 6-8" car style radio in my Speed, which would have access to Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and all related apps. That alone is 10x beyond what the competition offers.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

I think this nailed a lot of it....while their communication sucks worse than a snaggletooth hooker...they don't have a large repair network that their competition does.... If they release and a ton of them have an issue..the PR Damage etc will be catastrophic.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk, but this statement tells me the Speed car is not for you (really want to clarify, not a personal insult). Have you ever dropped $10,000 on shocks? $12,000 on custom built axles? $6,000 on suspension hard parts? As I mentioned briefly above, Polaris/Can Am/Honda/Kawasaki are all "quads" that have been upscaled to be larger and hold more people. The performance of these vehicles is still very much on the "toy" level. My Polaris RZR Turbo S 4 could never hold a candle to my old Wrangler, in any scenario. Yes, that includes running fast through whoop style terrain. Its shocks simply couldn't handle the abuse, nor could the suspension geometry.

Suspension geometry does not have a life cycle, it cannot become outdated. Simply put, suspension geometry/tuning/design on ALL side by sides is absolute garbage and nothing to be proud off. The only "benefit" to current side by sides from mainstream manufacturers is availability and better infotainment (i.e. Ride Command). With that said, I will be installing a 6-8" car style radio in my Speed, which would have access to Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and all related apps. That alone is 10x beyond what the competition offers.
You’re correct it isn’t for me. I don’t buy the first if anything. I’ll let others work out the kinks then buy it once it’s been out a few years. With that said the competition has evolved since the speed car was announced. I don’t think the speed car is any match for the new rzr pro r.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You’re correct it isn’t for me. I don’t buy the first if anything. I’ll let others work out the kinks then buy it once it’s been out a few years. With that said the competition has evolved since the speed car was announced. I don’t think the speed car is any match for the new rzr pro r.

It’s pretty close. Speed geometry is better, it’s lighter, and makes more power. Not really a debate. That’s pretty much fact based on the releases

Pro R has more electronics. If you think the Pro R design is light years beyond the Speed design, I can’t really help you. It’s got radius rods. Those are an inherent limitation. The Pro R is a good car, it’s not much better or worse. The Speed is a driver and tuners car. There are tons of adjustable aspects from the factory. The Polaris you get in and go.

Demlockian

Reaction score
This statement is hard to make, either in favor of Polaris or Speed. To much is unknown in regards to Speed and the Polaris. But what do we know?

Speed is utilizing proper tube thicknesses throughout the entire frame and cage. Polaris it not known for using proper grades or thicknesses of steel in any area.
The shock angle in the front of the Polaris is overly steep and inboard, will result in issues with geometry and cycling. It has the exact same issue with the rear suspension.
The "automatic" shocks will never work as good as a properly tuned suspension.

I could go on for a day about the features of the Speed, however, I am not a salesman. Speed is targeting a specific audience of buyers who have a deep understanding of performance and "how to" when it comes to building an off road car. The Polaris is 10x leagues behind, based on the limited information I have of the Polaris and Speed. The thing we still don't know is how the Speed cars actually do once delivered. Its easy to say its better, when all we have is paper.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
This statement is hard to make, either in favor of Polaris or Speed. To much is unknown in regards to Speed and the Polaris. But what do we know?

Speed is utilizing proper tube thicknesses throughout the entire frame and cage. Polaris it not known for using proper grades or thicknesses of steel in any area.
The shock angle in the front of the Polaris is overly steep and inboard, will result in issues with geometry and cycling. It has the exact same issue with the rear suspension.

I could go on for a day about the features of the Speed, however, I am not a salesman. Speed is targeting a specific audience of buyers who have a deep understanding of performance and "how to" when it comes to building an off road car. The Polaris is 10x leagues behind, based on the limited information I have of the Polaris and Speed. The thing we still don't know is how the Speed cars actually do once delivered. Its easy to say its better, when all we have is paper.
Robby Gordon is that you lol

PlanB

Reaction score

I have yet to post in this thread but now I am curious. You have to post a pic of a Wrangler that can run with a modern SxS in the whoops. My old Rhino would smoke both of the Jeeps I own. My Rubicon is built and very capable of going almost anywhere, but it is not going to run near the speed of a SxS through almost any terrain.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I remember 2 years ago when I was as chipper as you about explaining all this stuff. 🤣

Talk about how when a bolt gets loose on a Polaris is saws through the tabs because they used improper hardware on the entire car, and speed uses properly shanked hardware throughout with wear sleeves on many critical components..and you can use 2 sizes of wrenches to take all the suspension and steering off the car.

DLC

Reaction score
Power to weight ratio the Can am is MO BETTA! Then the pro R

F958DA95-31FF-4D83-8D58-ED5F4909B569.jpeg

Demlockian

Reaction score
Robby Gordon is that you lol
Nope, sorry. I don't see Robby as an idol either. His racing career is full of controversies and cheating (do your own research). Doesn't mean the man doesn't know a thing or two about off road design though...

I have yet to post in this thread but now I am curious. You have to post a pic of a Wrangler that can run with a modern SxS in the whoops. My old Rhino would smoke both of the Jeeps I own. My Rubicon is built and very capable of going almost anywhere, but it is not going to run near the speed of a SxS through almost any terrain.

Getting through whoops has a lot to do with wheelbase and suspension design (compression, rebound, valving, etc....). When I was in Alaska, I would take this Jeep through whoops at 70-80 MPH. The below picture is only halfway through its build (on Dana 44 axles, since upgraded to a Dana 60). With the Dana 44, it had about 47" of travel, compared to RZRs whopping 29". When it got swapped to the Dana 60, it also got swapped to IBP 16" DSC coil overs, further increasing its travel.

LetzRoll Offroad Racing and GenRight (43).jpg

LetzRoll Offroad Racing and GenRight (44).jpg

Demlockian

Reaction score
I remember 2 years ago when I was as chipper as you about explaining all this stuff. 🤣

Talk about how when a bolt gets loose on a Polaris is saws through the tabs because they used improper hardware on the entire car, and speed uses properly shanked hardware throughout with wear sleeves on many critical components..and you can use 2 sizes of wrenches to take all the suspension and steering off the car.
Exactly! I have repaired countless Jeeps that had wallowed out mounting holes due to cheap designs/not being double shear. The design of the Speed car is truly a downsized "trophy truck" and not an upsized "ATV". All we can do is hope the paper meets the pavement and this thing rips.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Nope, sorry. I don't see Robby as an idol either. His racing career is full of controversies and cheating (do your own research). Doesn't mean the man doesn't know a thing or two about off road design though...

Getting through whoops has a lot to do with wheelbase and suspension design (compression, rebound, valving, etc....). When I was in Alaska, I would take this Jeep through whoops at 70-80 MPH. The below picture is only halfway through its build (on Dana 44 axles, since upgraded to a Dana 60). With the Dana 44, it had about 47" of travel, compared to RZRs whopping 29". When it got swapped to the Dana 60, it also got swapped to IBP 16" DSC coil overs, further increasing its travel.

View attachment 1178850
View attachment 1178851
I wanna race you down Barstow main. You in that me in my can am.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Exactly! I have repaired countless Jeeps that had wallowed out mounting holes due to cheap designs/not being double shear. The design of the Speed car is truly a downsized "trophy truck" and not an upsized "ATV". All we can do is hope the paper meets the pavement and this thing rips.
I hope so for everyone it meets your expectations no one wants to have money out and wait then ultimately be unhappy with the product. At the end of the day it’s just playful banter I guarantee no matter the make we would all go out and have a great time together.

Demlockian

Reaction score
I wanna race you down Barstow main. You in that me in my can am.
If I didn't sell it almost two years ago, you would be on. I took this Jeep and my Polaris RZR Turbo S 4 down the exact same trail days apart. The Polaris was being tossed around and couldn't even stay in the whoops. Meanwhile, the Jeep cruised at 70+ MPH as if nothing was happening. That's what almost $10,000 in suspension buys you. That's 1/3rd (or more) the cost of a Can Am. Nothing about that Jeep was stock. The suspension was all one-off custom, not something you can buy from Rough Country.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Watched the Honda Talon Speed car gap those repeatedly though…
I’ll get gapped for days with a 10 month old and 2 year old in my car we don’t go much faster than 55 and prob average 45-50mph. Lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’ll get gapped for days with a 10 month old and 2 year old in my car we don’t go much faster than 55 and prob average 45-50mph. Lol

You could have saved a ton and bought a Talon! 🤣

Riley1

Reaction score
Someone needs to explain to this guy the difference in:
Wheel Travel,
Articulation,
And an “RTI” score.

No such thing as a Jeep with 40”+ of wheel travel.

I can probably get over 50” of flex out of Dave’s limo, but the RTI would still be very low.

I often don’t comment in these threads, but WTF, no Jeep is doing 70 through Barstow. (Unless on the 15)

outboard_256

Reaction score
Wheel Travel,
Articulation,
And an “RTI” score.

I can probably get over 50” of flex out of Dave’s limo, but the RTI would still be very low.

I often don’t comment in these threads, but WTF, no Jeep is doing 70 through Barstow. (Unless on the 15)

Untrussed dana 44 upfront with no bypasses or hydro bumps. I am going to call BS on the 70 mph whoops. After 10 min that axle would look like a banana.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I must post before the day is over. It's like heroin
LOf and Demlockian are the same guy. Gotta be

Next you guys realize there is a change in tone the last month.
LOF is showing frustration
RD is looking for a UTV for the season
Demlockian, who is new to the thread, is saying he is kinda over it.

The excitement is slowing. Publicly this is happening. Internet chatter.
The cheer leaders are not so cheerful.
Which is completely understandable.

Your deposit are losing value. Your 'investment ' in the UTV of the decade is losing its cool factor.

I've said it before, and I'm sure speed is aware, this needs to be a grandslam in extra innings.
The negativity has sped by the excitement.

Speed needs to get some cars out there, the people need to see 1st hand performance now. Not after the weather gets hot.
Get 10 on a boat. Get these in the desert where its crowded. If one breaks then openly discuss it. The performance seen in person will outshine a breakage.
Go dune with random groups. Follow the pack to desert bar. Let the people see.
If 4 of these were at bunker bar that were known production cars the internet would go crazy in a positive way.

Be cautious RDP gents. Unless your rich, then disregard.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I must post before the day is over. It's like heroin
LOf and Demlockian are the same guy. Gotta be

Next you guys realize there is a change in tone the last month.
LOF is showing frustration
RD is looking for a UTV for the season
Demlockian, who is new to the thread, is saying he is kinda over it.

The excitement is slowing. Publicly this is happening. Internet chatter.
The cheer leaders are not so cheerful.
Which is completely understandable.

Your deposit are losing value. Your 'investment ' in the UTV of the decade is losing its cool factor.

I've said it before, and I'm sure speed is aware, this needs to be a grandslam in extra innings.
The negativity has sped by the excitement.

Speed needs to get some cars out there, the people need to see 1st hand performance now. Not after the weather gets hot.
Get 10 on a boat. Get these in the desert where its crowded. If one breaks then openly discuss it. The performance seen in person will outshine a breakage.
Go dune with random groups. Follow the pack to desert bar. Let the people see.
If 4 of these were at bunker bar that were known production cars the internet would go crazy in a positive way.

Be cautious RDP gents. Unless your rich, then disregard.

More fun theories 🤣

I think you are getting frustrated by my lack of frustration.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Wheel Travel,
Articulation,
And an “RTI” score.

Thinking of what it takes to get a truck/Jeep/SUV or whatever you've got, to make a run through Barstow Main at 70MPH, is a huge undertaking. That isn't happening in a Jeep, even with a custom long arm kit and 1 ton axles. Period. Not saying that particular Jeep isn't a capable off-road rig, but it is NOT a high-dollar luxo prerunner or trophy truck. That's essentially what you would need to do that, and not wad your sled up like a wet noodle. Sorry to be "That guy," but that claim is BS. 🙄

EarpRider

Reaction score
This is going down a dark path. They are going to barely pull this off or like the UTV dune sends gone wrong fail in fantastic fashion.

Your right about the fact that Speed is targeting a specific audience ...
A very, very, very patient audience.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I am curious as to how you Speed fans expect it to perform when the trail slows way down and the rocks get much bigger. The car is being described as a scaled down trophy truck blitzing any whoops it can find, but how will it do in places like Moab or in the trees of Tennessee or Ohio?
Secondly, how wide is the Speed car going to be? Is it going to be towable in a smaller toy hauler?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm not happy unless your frustrated.
You might be on to something. Ha.

They do need to get these out into wild. Even at 90%

You’ve got a long winding road to happiness then :)

First, they have been out in the wild for 2 years now. When was the last time you could go get rides in a preproduction Can Am and talk to the design team? When was the last time you could go sit in one?

Want proof? Look at the crying here about every single problem on test cars.

People act like things don’t ever break in testing. These aren’t even cars for customers. The entire point is to break them before the customer does.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I am curious as to how you Speed fans expect it to perform when the trail slows way down and the rocks get much bigger. The car is being described as a scaled down trophy truck blitzing any whoops it can find, but how will it do in places like Moab or in the trees of Tennessee or Ohio?
Secondly, how wide is the Speed car going to be? Is it going to be towable in a smaller toy hauler?

It’s a car for he southwest. It’s 77” wide. It’s going to be a fine rock crawler. It can support 35” tires stock, and has a front locking diff and lots of travel.

They are making a short 99” wheelbase 72” wide 2 seater as well. That might be better in the Midwest and back east.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
You are welcome to go be poor and slow at the Honda dealer. There is a reason there are Talons there.

People buy Can Ams with no gauge clusters and A Polaris with a stop ride order before a high quality in stock Talon.

The best non turbo car is the Kawasaki today.

Damn I feel attacked

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
In order to have a “stop ride” you have to have a car to “start riding”! 🤣

Because sending you home with the car and then telling you never to use it because it may catch fire or maim you is better 🤣

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I’m gonna say this again.

The reason the cars aren’t out yet is because they have discovered a major or multiple small QC problems that were not spec’d by Speed but created after the fact at Hisan by them cutting corners.

Speed probably has been fighting tooth and nail to get these resolved and my guess is Hisan flexed by showing a Hisan only car at the Mexican plant opening as a fuck you we will make it in this spec to speed stunt.

Robby made a deal with the devil and he is probably trying his hardest to not let him ruin his name for the long term.

Covid zero policy is just a chance to blame something else to allow him time to try and fix these issues.

The broken sand rail blue car is one of these problems. Soft metal or not really is9000 machining like promised kind of deal.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m gonna say this again.

The reason the cars aren’t out yet is because they have discovered a major or multiple small QC problems that were not spec’d by Speed but created after the fact at Hisan by them cutting corners.

Speed probably has been fighting tooth and nail to get these resolved and my guess is Hisan flexed by showing a Hisan only car at the Mexican plant opening as a fuck you we will make it in this spec to speed stunt.

Robby made a deal with the devil and he is probably trying his hardest to not let him ruin his name for the long term.

Covid zero policy is just a chance to blame something else to allow him time to try and fix these issues.

The broken sand rail blue car is one of these problems. Soft metal or not really is9000 machining like promised kind of deal.

Saying incorrect stuff twice does not make it correct 🤣.

Hisun has said multiple times they are building the car for Speed to their specs. Their North American Sales President said that.

You know Hisun didn’t make the fuel injectors, right?

JFMFG

Reaction score
Saying incorrect stuff twice does not make it correct 🤣.

Hisun has said multiple times they are building the car for Speed to their specs. Their North American Sales President said that.

You know Hisun didn’t make the fuel injectors, right?
Robby should take a picture of all 100 or 50 of his speed cars that now need to be fixed so everyone can see he is not bullshitting cause I bet there isn’t even 20 in a warehouse somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.