WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed master (procomp )aluminium engine block any experience?

bjf66

Reaction score
Without starting a melt down
just wondering whether anyone has ever used or had first hand experience with any of the aluminium engine blocks marketed by speed master for any application car or marine
My interest was in aluminium BBC block as was looking at weight savings and whether I could get the weight down close to iron sbc to drop into car older GM holden which came out with iron block/headed 304” /5 litre ( similar to Buick)
Was thinking Aluminiun headed mkiv block
4.5” bore/3.1” stroke = 394ci (6.5 litre) + GM 6l80e (6-speed) to wake it up
Have most of parts here excluding the alum block although could use bowtie block that is here so figure it was cost of alum engine block vs LS engine (possible needing rebuild)

Go easy with me on the replies we aren’t spoiled for choice down under like you chaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I had some of their heads on a boat motor. Ran great for 20 minutes then dropped a valve. I believe @obnoxious001 has a block at a machine shop now being checked out to see if it is any good.

bjf66

Reaction score
Sorry to here of your problems with heads
Were the heads purchased assembled and ready to go or did you purchased the heads bare and put your own gear in them

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I did purchase one of their iron blocks for evaluation, but the shop I use has been backed up getting other work done so I haven't pressed him on it. By my first looks, it appears to be a good value.

Early on the quality control on the heads was terrible, but that has improved quite a bit to the point where I believe if they are inspected and properly assembled they will work fine, as I have several sets out there that I assembled with good valves and hardware with no known issues.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Sorry to here of your problems with heads
Were the heads purchased assembled and ready to go or did you purchased the heads bare and put your own gear in them

Complete long block. I think I paid $4500 for a complete 502 assembly a few years ago hoping to get me by for a half a summer while my 540 was going together. Launched at Windsor and didn't even make it to the Springs. Anchored just past 3 Dunes on the California side, BBQ'd, finished off the beer, called Sea Tow. Still a great day!

bjf66

Reaction score
Barry thanks for update on the heads,
Not much noise about the engine blocks
would of thought someone-somewhere would of grabbed one of the aluminium engine blocks and assembled something
There are few things of regretted buying over the years, and still have the picture of the Donovan 500 10.2" block that missed out on a steal of a price
This taught me valuable lesson, thou who hesitates loses out
when you look at the valley webbing its similar to SM block which has been strengthened.
However not sure what actual block the SM alum block was pro-typed on ?
here are few pic's
1. Donovan 500 Alum BBC used
2. Speedmaster Alum BBC new

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 122
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 159
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 122
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 122
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 115
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 117

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Barry thanks for update on the heads,
Not much noise about the engine blocks
would of thought someone-somewhere would of grabbed one of the aluminium engine blocks and assembled something
There are few things of regretted buying over the years, and still have the picture of the Donovan 500 10.2" block that missed out on a steal of a price
This taught me valuable lesson, thou who hesitates loses out
when you look at the valley webbing its similar to SM block which has been strengthened.
However not sure what actual block the SM alum block was pro-typed on ?
here are few pic's
1. Donovan 500 Alum BBC used
2. Speedmaster Alum BBC new
Their blocks may be based on the Gen 5 GM Bowtie Block, note the 10 bolt pattern for the timing cover, and the deck surface water jacket pattern. I think it's the same as the iron block I purchased except for the material and the ribs in the valley. Aluminum is not considered to be ideal for a cold water cooled marine engine.

bjf66

Reaction score
barry
thanks
yes was looking at the water jacket pattern on deck this morning
there was mention of 0.600" thick deck height , 0.300" cylinder thickness @ 4.6" bore
5 billet caps, with 3 centre main caps splayed
maximum bore x stroke: 4.6x4.5"
simeese bore like Gen VI 502