WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed Utv Sand Tire's

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I have no experience with Utv's in sand dunes, only quads and buggies. I plan on 1-2 dune trip's a year with my Speed El Jefe. What's everyone's thoughts and opinions on the following.

Are stock tires at low air pressures ok or should I buy a set of paddles?

Speed is offering two different sand tire packages.

1. Stock width wheels with smoothies up front and speed paddles in rear.

2. Kmc wheels with razor back's on the front and wider than stock rears with kmc paddles.

The Speed UTV has three drive selections. 2wd, 4wd with front diff open and 4wd with front diff locked. Which one would you use with which tires?

Btw, I'm an aggressive rider and I race a class 10 buggy in More & Score

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have no experience with Utv's in sand dunes, only quads and buggies. I plan on 1-2 dune trip's a year with my Speed El Jefe. What's everyone's thoughts and opinions on the following.

Are stock tires at low air pressures ok or should I buy a set of paddles?

Speed is offering two different sand tire packages.

1. Stock width wheels with smoothies up front and speed paddles in rear.

2. Kmc wheels with razor back's on the front and wider than stock rears with kmc paddles.

The Speed UTV has three drive selections. 2wd, 4wd with front diff open and 4wd with front diff locked. Which one would you use with which tires?

Btw, I'm an aggressive rider and I race a class 10 buggy in More & Score

I am no sand expert by any stretch.

If you air down the stock tires, you will be mobile in the sand in 4WD. It's functional, and that's all I'll say :)

If you are budget minded, or if width is going to be an issue, or you don't want to swap tires from trailer to sand, paddles on the stock wheels will work fine. I think for 1-2 trips a year this would likely work just fine for you.

If you want max performance, the wider wheels and razorback/skat-trak paddles and mowhawk buffs, etc. will give you the best performance. The car will be freaking wide though, so you may need to swap tires when you get to the sand, and this is the most expensive, most performant option.

The wide wheel spreads the contact patch of the paddle so it works better, and the wider total width helps with stability. The buff style tires are also lighter, generally speaking.

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Lightweight true beadlock wheels and paddles.

Just a note, running low pressures are fine, but you run the risk of tire coming off a bead on a stock or non beadlock wheel. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cakemoto

Reaction score
Lightweight true beadlock wheels and paddles.

Just a note, running low pressures are fine, but you run the risk of tire coming off a bead on a stock or non beadlock wheel. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean so this don’t happen…
819D7784-0084-4872-BBCC-B0A3D227EEAA.jpeg

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
You're going to have to get tires with at least little sand paddle action.
The stock tires on the Speed that we've seen are smooth desert runners. Way too much spin.

Bead lockers are essential at low pressures and if you roll the machine bead locker wheeled tires tend to stay on the bead unless you damage the rim.

You'll have enough issues with a roll over ya don't need your tires disconnected from the wheel too.

Also beadlockers help if you have to run flat or don’t realize you’re running flat. Yeah the tire(s) will get destroyed but ya get back to camp.

Jus' my experiences talking.

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Another point to be careful running super low pressure, even with beadlock for most UTVs. Because the marketing department got ahold of suspension designs they took all of the ground clearance out of the car when at full bump to get to 24" of travel. A super soft squishy tire will squish under heavy load and you start dragging the car through stuff.

Shouldn't be an issue on the speed car, I think robby has enough full bump ground clearance built in.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Where did you find them at?

I saw them at 3 or 4 vendor booths at Sand Sports. There are a lot of dealers that have them in stock, but there is an Ebay store that has them as a set for 1,100 with free shipping.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I saw them at 3 or 4 vendor booths at Sand Sports. There are a lot of dealers that have them in stock, but there is an Ebay store that has them as a set for 1,100 with free shipping.

I guess we shoulda asked what the budget was as a first question 🥴

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They are somewhere around 5lbs heavier than a buffed tire. Do you think that is a problem?

For 1-2 trips per season you’ll be just fine. For another $500-600 you can get the Skat Trak setup, something like this:

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
For 1-2 trips per season you’ll be just fine. For another $500-600 you can get the Skat Trak setup, something like this:

Do you think the Skat Trak Mohawk fronts provide any traction? I like that the rear of the car will slide with paddles, but also would like a front tire that turns hard and has some pulling power in 4wd.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Save your money and send it in 4x4, I've never needed sand tires. 8 PSI and beadlocks on 30" BFGs. Never popped the inner bead off.

I would say i am an aggressive driver 🤣
View attachment 1052230

Cool picture! I think the speed car with 300+ horsepower will just blow off stock tires in the sand. I think paddles are necessary to take full advantage of the horsepower available.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Do you think the Skat Trak Mohawk fronts provide any traction? I like that the rear of the car will slide with paddles, but also would like a front tire that turns hard and has some pulling power in 4wd.

I’m not the sand expert.. but my friends modded Turbo S 4 seater has that same 32” tire setup.. it felt pretty damn good.

In my mind they didn’t seem to add much in the way of traction, but they added floatation.

Again, the other guys here with more sand experience might have more insight.

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with GMZ Sand Stripper's. TT's up front and 16 paddles in the rear.

View attachment 1051792 View attachment 1051793 View attachment 1051794

I’m a bit of a sand addict but no expert. I drive a car so that’s a little different and I only use STU tires, and they will last 20 years of several trips a year if you stay off the dirt and asphalt as much as you can.

A good set of skids make the car. You are going to have a much better time with the correct tires. I don’t drive SXS but the guys who do really seem to be happy with ^ setup.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes they do. Ya wouldn't think it but mine always amazed us.

Is the Can Am an "on demand" 4wd system like the RZR is? That is its not really 4WD until the rears are spinning some amount faster than the fronts?

Supercup

Reaction score
Here are a couple to video to watch and consider what you get - but for Speed car I would get a set of lightweight wheels - like the Method bead grips and full paddles in back and then a front wheel that promotes directional stability and will allow good turning. Also out now is the SS 360 tires (front and rear) for the sand - they are lighter and more of hybrid - do great in sand - paddles are better for rear - car with HP like a speed. The SS360 is the value proposition as the set is half the cost of a set of paddels and traditional fronts.

SS360 vs Traditonal Paddle set up -

Sand Tire shoot out - hill climb -

Sand tire shoot out - drags -

I run Sandsport SXS tires on Method bead grip wheel - 15x7 up front and 15 x10 out back.

1632781295758.png

Attachments

• IMG_9989 (2).JPG
    IMG_9989 (2).JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Supercup

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with GMZ Sand Stripper's. TT's up front and 16 paddles in the rear.

View attachment 1051793

Pending hp you run - 165 paddles is a lot for stock power - 250 hp plus for 16 paddle - for stock power (180 - 225) I would stay with 12-14 paddle - of course paddle height impacts this as well.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Here are a couple to video to watch and consider what you get - but for Speed car I would get a set of lightweight wheels - like the Method bead grips and full paddles in back and then a front wheel that promotes directional stability and will allow good turning. Also out now is the SS 360 tires (front and rear) for the sand - they are lighter and more of hybrid - do great in sand - paddles are better for rear - car with HP like a speed. The SS360 is the value proposition as the set is half the cost of a set of paddels and traditional fronts.

I run Sandsport SXS tires on Method bead grip wheel - 15x7 up front and 15 x10 out back.

View attachment 1053749

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw the SS360's at the sand show and they look like a good all around option. What air pressure are you running with the Method Bead Grip wheels?

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Pending hp you run - 165 paddles is a lot for stock power - 250 hp plus for 16 paddle - for stock power (180 - 225) I would stay with 12-14 paddle - of course paddle height impacts this as well.

I am planning on using the speed key with E85 in the dunes which will be over 300hp, but I'm sure I will be at 235hp for some of my riding. Would I be better off with a 14 paddle for the 235-300hp range or a 16 paddle? Meaning, will the 16 paddle suck at 235hp or will the 12-14 paddle suck at 300hp.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Is the Can Am an "on demand" 4wd system like the RZR is? That is its not really 4WD until the rears are spinning some amount faster than the fronts?
Depends on the model year.
Our 2021 has a locker mode.
Really works good.

Our 2018 is limited slip that I think works good.
Never an issue and we run it Glamis and Moab.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I am planning on using the speed key with E85 in the dunes which will be over 300hp, but I'm sure I will be at 235hp for some of my riding. Would I be better off with a 14 paddle for the 235-300hp range or a 16 paddle? Meaning, will the 16 paddle suck at 235hp or will the 12-14 paddle suck at 300
I myself would wait and see what the pros say and also the paddle height (not wheel/tire height) be a question too.
Ya don’t want to be an expensive rooster tailing roto tiller.

Last edited:

Supercup

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I saw the SS360's at the sand show and they look like a good all around option. What air pressure are you running with the Method Bead Grip wheels?

I run 12-16 psi - pending how soft the sand it. I never go below 12 psi - with 4 larger tires (30x11 front and 30 xs13 rear) you have plenty of float and with 4wd you should never get stuck unless you stop going uphill and can't roll back.

I agree with above I would wait to see what Speed recommends for paddles for your unit - but with 235 - 300 hp you are going to want 14 paddles and then factor in paddle height as well. I am also no expert in this area - I would check with Speed or other reputable shops like Jeffries Performance in Phx - they will get you going in the right direction!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

View attachment 1053749
Did you order them already mounted or did you DIY and who from?
With FST/STU defunct I need to set up a new source.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I run 6 to 8 PSI all the way around and always 4WD.

1Carl

Reaction score
This is what speed is selling on their site. You can order. Rims are $250 ea so tires are 1599. Also RG did video talking about sand tires and what you need and what you shouldn’t do.

Attachments

• A3597313-4481-4BE1-BBA0-75B16106250F.jpeg
    A3597313-4481-4BE1-BBA0-75B16106250F.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 55

DLC

Reaction score
Back when I went to Glamis you wanted as light if a tire set up as possible.

I could drift my mid engine car without any issue, I love that feeling! Smoothies up Frt & big ass paddles out back

I would wait and see what the market says before buying, but that’s me