WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The car is wicked in the San Felipe whoops. When Robby gapped us like nothing through the whoops I became a fan of its suspension.

Washboard or Havasu rough doesn’t compare to San Felipe. Havasu is child’s play compared to Zoo Rd.

When I saw the first Speed car in the RDP booth at DS a few years back, that was the first thing, really the only thing, I looked at...the suspension. Not being a SxS guy, I always looked at their geometry and material type and sizing and thought they were relatively flimsy. Even out here, I've replaced pieces that were bent by dirt road daredevils. Most of our "trails" are what I'd compare to Powerline out in Barstow, just with trees.

Robbie had some "attitude" issues with the car deal. I only met him a couple times many years ago. Maybe not a cut and polished businessman, but a hell of a driver. Never met his son, but from what I've watched, he's pretty damn good as well. It would be cool to see a "prepped" car next to a "retail" car, to see what they've found in hard abuse. Copy that, and a weekend warrior probably won't ever see an issue, at least not with the chassis.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
When I saw the first Speed car in the RDP booth at DS a few years back, that was the first thing, really the only thing, I looked at...the suspension. Not being a SxS guy, I always looked at their geometry and material type and sizing and thought they were relatively flimsy. Even out here, I've replaced pieces that were bent by dirt road daredevils. Most of our "trails" are what I'd compare to Powerline out in Barstow, just with trees.

Robbie had some "attitude" issues with the car deal. I only met him a couple times many years ago. Maybe not a cut and polished businessman, but a hell of a driver. Never met his son, but from what I've watched, he's pretty damn good as well. It would be cool to see a "prepped" car next to a "retail" car, to see what they've found in hard abuse. Copy that, and a weekend warrior probably won't ever see an issue, at least not with the chassis.
Max and Robby both routinely race handbuilt carbon fiber speed cars. Doesn’t get more prepped than that

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Max and Robby both routinely race handbuilt carbon fiber speed cars. Doesn’t get more prepped than that
Control arms, chassis mods and pivot reinforcements is really what I'd be curious to see. Although the use of carbon fiber lightens the sprung weight, it's all the mechanical monkey motion beneath the skin that takes the abuse. On the retail car I saw, the rear arms looked like fabbed mild steel, are the race ones moly, or even billet, stuff like that.

NIKAL

Reaction score
Control arms, chassis mods and pivot reinforcements is really what I'd be curious to see. Although the use of carbon fiber lightens the sprung weight, it's all the mechanical monkey motion beneath the skin that takes the abuse. On the retail car I saw, the rear arms looked like fabbed mild steel, are the race ones moly, or even billet, stuff like that.
Production suspension arms are chromoly plate, robot mig welded. The “Race” ones are the same chromoly plate with same internal gussets, but are hand tig welded. I think it was last year are the UTV World Championship, Max had a weld in bung on the hand made arm pull out of the arm and they replaced it with a production arm to finish the race.

Robby did a show where he showed the production arm was actually stronger as the lower uniball bung tab was actually longer in the arm and tied into the internal gusset where the ones they built in house did not have that, so the load was concentrated on the 4 outer welds. He said the new hand made “Race” arms will be the same as the production arm.

Not sure if you saw the video Robby did of the production car Max crashed at the RB Glamis Scramble race. The rear arm buckled, but the inner and outer pivot points on the chassis were not damaged. He did say they would double check it on a fixture, but visually there was no bent tabs, no cracking of paint or welds. Also on the front the car bent one tie rod, and pulled the other tie rod the threads were pulled of the other one. But none of the suspension tabs on the bulkhead were damaged. The spindle uprights were fine. I think they might have bent one upper arm? Also we don’t know if the cage was sprung, but visually there was no damage or cracks found on the roll cage and it did take one direct hit at the B pillar in the cartwheel. And a good hit to the top as it bent in the aluminum roof the race series required them to run. But did not bend or visibly damage the upper roll cage tubes.

IMO the chassis and suspension are solid, it’s the engine & CVT bugs that are plaguing them right now. It seems like the biggest issue was the compression release, which they are solving by removing. And the bigger issue to not get resolved yet is CVT & belt cooling. It will be interesting to see how the 11-12 of these Norra rent or buy a ride production race cars with average Joes driving them do?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Production suspension arms are chromoly plate, robot mig welded. The “Race” ones are the same chromoly plate with same internal gussets, but are hand tig welded. I think it was last year are the UTV World Championship, Max had a weld in bung on the hand made arm pull out of the arm and they replaced it with a production arm to finish the race.

Robby did a show where he showed the production arm was actually stronger as the lower uniball bung tab was actually longer in the arm and tied into the internal gusset where the ones they built in house did not have that, so the load was concentrated on the 4 outer welds. He said the new hand made “Race” arms will be the same as the production arm.

Not sure if you saw the video Robby did of the production car Max crashed at the RB Glamis Scramble race. The rear arm buckled, but the inner and outer pivot points on the chassis were not damaged. He did say they would double check it on a fixture, but visually there was no bent tabs, no cracking of paint or welds. Also on the front the car bent one tie rod, and pulled the other tie rod the threads were pulled of the other one. But none of the suspension tabs on the bulkhead were damaged. The spindle uprights were fine. I think they might have bent one upper arm? Also we don’t know if the cage was sprung, but visually there was no damage or cracks found on the roll cage and it did take one direct hit at the B pillar in the cartwheel. And a good hit to the top as it bent in the aluminum roof the race series required them to run. But did not bend or visibly damage the upper roll cage tubes.

IMO the chassis and suspension are solid, it’s the engine & CVT bugs that are plaguing them right now. It seems like the biggest issue was the compression release, which they are solving by removing. And the bigger issue to not get resolved yet is CVT & belt cooling. It will be interesting to see how the 11-12 of these Norra rent or buy a ride production race cars with average Joes driving them do?
I haven't watched any of the videos. Not having the funds to buy one, I am more into the nuts and bolts of the deal. I fabricate and fix broken stuff for a living. Kind of funny, because as a hobby, I've been good at breaking stuff. Offroad, mud bog and 1/4 mile stuff...broken a bunch of weird stuff. So, to me, seeing what breaks and what is done to remedy the situation is really interesting.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I was going to check out this thread for the first time, but the 7,830 replies since Christmas Eve seemed like a bit too much to digest.

Carry on.

😁
I pop in every other week or so and get the highlights. Makes it easier to avoid the drama and get the pertinent info👍

Reactions: TPC

NIKAL

Reaction score

Robby just posted a testing video and said the car used in the test was the car Max crashed at the Sand Scramble race. I’m guessing the chassis was fine!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Robby just posted a testing video and said the car used in the test was the car Max crashed at the Sand Scramble race. I’m guessing the chassis was fine!

And you still believe what he says 😂😂😂😂😂

sandshark1

Reaction score

The car was scooting down the wash. Hopefully they are testing the E85 tune in the El Jeffe to see how the belts hold up and dial in the clutching.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I guess he’s had enough?
IMG_1191.png

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The car is wicked in the San Felipe whoops. When Robby gapped us like nothing through the whoops I became a fan of its suspension.

Washboard or Havasu rough doesn’t compare to San Felipe. Havasu is child’s play compared to Zoo Rd.

Have you ever been off road out at Havasu?

I'm gonna guess there ain't a whole lotta "technical" out there? 🤷‍♂️

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Surprisingly Havasu is pretty good for testing. Polaris uses Havasu for testing their future cars. It’s got a bit of everything.

Interesting. Looks like it would be pretty much flat to me.

I like upper elevations myself.

Joe's Valley 010.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
lol you’d guess wrong.. havasu and Parker offer some of the best off-roading in the USA.. you can find everything from sand, trails, whoops, rock crawling.. it’s all what your into

I've been on a few trails in Parker, and out shooting above Havasu. Good to know it's not All boring out there. 👍🏼

37 boat

Reaction score
WTF? Where is 8k ft in Havasu???

Hualapai Mountains​

6250 Hualapai Mountain Rd
Kingman, AZ 86401
Phone: 877.757.0915

Lake Havasu has something to offer everyone — welcoming weather, stunning desert scenery, and a plethora of activities and events that keep even the most restless occupied. But even all of this may still leave a longing in some who love what a forest has to offer.
Just over an hour away, the Hualapai Mountains fulfill that longing. With elevations of 6300 ft (1920 m) to 8240 ft (2516 m), the Hualapai Mountains remain green year-round and are home to the Ponderosa Pine, White Fir, Aspen, Pinion Pine, Manzanita, and Gambel.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

Hualapai Mountains​

6250 Hualapai Mountain Rd
Kingman, AZ 86401
Phone: 877.757.0915

Lake Havasu has something to offer everyone — welcoming weather, stunning desert scenery, and a plethora of activities and events that keep even the most restless occupied. But even all of this may still leave a longing in some who love what a forest has to offer.
Just over an hour away, the Hualapai Mountains fulfill that longing. With elevations of 6300 ft (1920 m) to 8240 ft (2516 m), the Hualapai Mountains remain green year-round and are home to the Ponderosa Pine, White Fir, Aspen, Pinion Pine, Manzanita, and Gambel.

The Hualapais are closed.
And what isn't closed burned down ~10 years ago.
Nothing to see here.
Move along...🙃

Dan'l

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
5k maybe lol. That’s assuming you’re at the tippy top of the mountains behind the city.

Ironically there isn't many or any trails that really take you to the top of those.. But there are all kinds of destinations you can goto for various heights, weather, environments etc.. You can leave out of Havasu and head down to the Bill Williams and be surrounded by trees, and actually run through come crazy tree tunnels etc.. You can head north and run to the hualapies, etc..

As someone else said anywhere around town is crazy chatter though.. Once you get 6'ish miles past town though they pretty much fade away.. Unless you are heading to the cabin.. Once you get out of that fucking wash they go away but that wash is brutal.. (well unless you have a speed)

RD

stonehenge

Reaction score
No customers have it yet, the ones running at Glamis were Robby and Max, and Max crashed, technically it didn't break.
Actually the race I was watching he "broke" at the end of the first lap and was towed off the course. And crashed in the second race. But in his defense, he was driving fast, but I guess some do drive fast in a race.