WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

951prerun

Reaction score
Any results from the Speed team today. Their social media is pretty quiet.
The results are on KOH website. 15 and 20 in class. Both had issues. Neither car has had much testing so no surprise. The racing attempts have been subpar for sure and likely due to focusing so much on getting cars to market.

schweeng

Reaction score
It’s a little cart before horse

Cars are here ready for customer pick up soon… but still testing the first batch of cars (among batch are customers cars)…

951prerun

Reaction score
It’s a little cart before horse

Cars are here ready for customer pick up soon… but still testing the first batch of cars (among batch are customers cars)…
Huh?? Do you know what you are actually talking about or just mouthing off?

951prerun

Reaction score
What’s your opinion on the cars
Race cars or production? Production, the verdict is still out until it’s in consumers hands. On paper very good but still a lot of uncertainty on quality and reliability. However I’ll respond to everyone who talks out there ass as if they know something, if anything.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Race cars or production? Production, the verdict is still out until it’s in consumers hands. On paper very good but still a lot of uncertainty on quality and reliability. However I’ll respond to everyone who talks out there ass as if they know something, if anything.
On speed Cars

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
If you read my post a few pages back Robby told me they were have starter issues and they would be stocking up on those until they figure out whats going on with the starters, I'm not surprised to see they had a starter issue in Maxes car, not sure what happened to Robby, but he finished the last several miles at a very slow pace.

lf2

Reaction score
If you read my post a few pages back Robby told me they were have starter issues and they would be stocking up on those until they figure out whats going on with the starters, I'm not surprised to see they had a starter issue in Maxes car, not sure what happened to Robby, but he finished the last several miles at a very slow pace.
According to one of the class 11 podium interviews, they were stuck and flagged robbie down as he was going by and he said he had clutch problems so he couldnt tow them out. Robbie and his co-driver did get out and help push the class 11 to get him unstuck.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
I don’t care about all the drama but being part of a class 11 team that’s pretty solid.

702sandman

Reaction score
Heard on the commantary by Fish that Robby had to pull start his car on the starting line. Don't know if it was actually Robby's car (77) or Max's car (777). Live tracker says Robby (77) is still out in the race course when he should have finished an hour ago. Max said in the interview that Robby finished ahead of him but it looks like Robby is broken down.
When Robbie took off the start line his car was sputtering and spitting. Out of all the cars he was the slowest out of the infield area. Crazy to see in person with my own eyes. Everyone was saying wtf... He definitely got all the talk , just not in a good way

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Sunday 2/6 - 8:40am - Speed UTV - Max
A11C3D60-1161-4E15-B10B-23857F7D5D35.png

schweeng

Reaction score
Huh?? Do you know what you are actually talking about or just mouthing off?
This is not a small batch of custom race UTVs that RG is building for himself.
Thousands have been ordered - this is a production car yet in the first batch of sea containers are cars that he is testing AND customers cars …. 99% of testing and all the changes that come with that testing should be what is in the sea containers. I said it before the first gen are going to be headaches, breakdowns & warranty issues intensive.

Taboma

Reaction score
Don't have a car on order, don't know crap about Robby Gordon, other than owning an truly enjoying my Wildcat XX, that carries his initials.
I understand I owe a good portion of what I appreciate about the car to his efforts.
In that respect, I hope his cars are a huge successes, and when he gets his shop up and running in Havasu they can maintain my CatXX.

It's unfortunate and I know how hugely irritating for him it is when shit goes bad right from the start with your inaugural first public race showing.
Hopefully today and going forward they can still the doubters and end up looking great.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
“The Ultra4 series has released its 2023 race schedule. Eight months after Mid America Outdoors purchased the series, big things are planned for next year’s season. New venues are on the eight-race schedule including the finals to be held in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. This will be the first time ever Ultra4 racing has been hosted in the popular desert city that sits along the Colorado River. Over $815,000 dollars in series payouts will be available.”

outboard_256

Reaction score
They just did a interview with Robbie on the live feed he’s not racing today.

I just saw that. He said he blew a belt and didn't have a spare yesterday. He said he is starting so far back today he is going to skip the race and save the car for the mint. Isn't he only 5 spots behind max? None of this makes sense to me. Maybe I misunderstood him.

schweeng

Reaction score
I just saw that. He said he blew a belt and didn't have a spare yesterday. He said he is starting so far back today he is going to skip the race and save the car for the mint. Isn't he only 5 spots behind max? None of this makes sense to me. Maybe I misunderstood him.
be a great chance to continue the shake down.... is he there to place well or to review/ test/add more time to make his product better?

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
be a great chance to continue the shake down.... is he there to place well or to review/ test/add more time to make his product better?

Especially when there’s at least 11 more belts a couple hours away. I was hoping for the best for him and the team. It seems like they would have worked out some of the wrinkles in all the hours bombing around the desert in Havasu.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score

Clearly he needed to place well.
I would have said he/they/Speed needed that more than additional last minute R&D but maybe not. Would the team cars really not start a race like KOH without a new belt right off the trailer?

DLC

Reaction score
Clearly he needed to place well.
I would have said he/they/Speed needed that more than additional last minute R&D but maybe not. Would the team cars really not start a race like KOH without a new belt right off the trailer?
That was my thinking also

or
maybe they just run em until they POP, to see what happens….or what pops

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Obvious RG trying to do too much these days. Most teams been at KOH several days preparing for today. Would have been totally acceptable if Speed UTV never left LHC this weekend. NASCAR is a freeway race compared to what KOH entrants put their rides thru.

Reactions: DWC

riverroyal

Reaction score
Why would Robbie bring a spare belt? Everyone knows nobody brings a spare belt! The last thing a UTV needs when out on a ride or especially a race is the added weight of a spare belt!
I have a spare belt on my utv and another in havasu
KOH with all eyes on them and no belt?
Hope you go fund me racing guys dont break belts when you get your rigs

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I have a spare belt on my utv and another in havasu
KOH with all eyes on them and no belt?
Hope you go fund me racing guys dont break belts when you get your rigs
It was a joke.

Never understood on here all the hate though for people who may have to finance a toy to take there family out on the lake or desert for a good time?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am having a hard time believing they didn’t have a spare belt..

That said I don’t think they should have gone to KOH to begin with.. it is kind of a no win situation for them. Taking basically stock speeds and running them against fully build race cars. If they don’t win then those mfg’s get the credit even though the cars are nothing like a stock utv.

If they break then obviously they are unreliable is what the haters will say.

It’s like fighting an old man.. if ya win you best up
An old man. If ya lose you got beat up by an old man.. no win Situation.

That said I am not deterred and am still happy with the recent progress speed has made and I’m happy that I have early numbers.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It was a joke.

Never understood on here all the hate though for people who may have to finance a toy to take there family out on the lake or desert for a good time?

He was saying “go fund” me being people like myself paid deposits and Robbie is using the money to go racing.. which none of which is true

Not saying about people financing

lf2

Reaction score
RG told me he is bringing 3 Speed SXS to KOH to race the desert race this weekend. These are not production cars, these are race cars built in his shop based off the platform, they are tig welded race cars. Lets see if they show up, I hope at least one of them does!

The desert loop is a 40 mile qualifier, 100 mile main race laps with 2 laps (200 miles total) and ALL utvs race in the same class there is no separate classes for this one, they are ALL In B3 which will race Sunday morning after doing a 40 mile qualifying loop on Saturday.

You can watch ALL of it live with badass coverage on King Of The Hammers youtube channel starting Saturday morning, dont be too rough on my commentary on the show hopefully I dont fuck it up too bad :)
Re-read this post from fish. Robbie told him the cars they brought to race are not stock production cars, but hand built race cars. Sucks both cars have had problems but about what is expected from any untested race car.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I just left KOH and we raced 1450. We passed Robby broken down on the backside of the course. Another competitor brought Robby a belt on course and he finished after us.

I went to pit road and talked to Robby during the race this morning. The race cars are throwing belts when they get to 100mph or more. The race cars do 126. They will get it figured out and really won't effect production cars.

The #18 El Jefe production car was sitting on pit lane and looks great in person. The welds, fit and finish are legit and I can't wait to get mine.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Sunday 2/6 - 8:40am - Speed UTV - Max View attachment 1196330

Ive gotta hand it to the KOH guys, they have better coverage of this than NBC has had of any sport in the last 10 years.

They have done a phenomenal job with the drones, choppers, and fixed cams, along with great announcing.

Hats off to those fellas, they are killing it.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Ive gotta hand it to the KOH guys, they have better coverage of this than NBC has had of any sport in the last 10 years.

They have done a phenomenal job with the drones, choppers, and fixed cams, along with great announcing.

Hats off to those fellas, they are killing it.
Really has been impressive coverage. The entire broadcast has been positive.

stonehenge

Reaction score
This car has been marketed since day ONE as race ready. Day one. Now we all know he has changed his tune along the way, and that is just typical rwg. But I find it very interesting that the fanboys can explain away anything and everything that happens.

No spare belt, come on people, talk about a complete and total rookie mistake. My wife carries a washed/heat cycled/bagged and ready to go spare belt, always. Plus two slightly used belts for the idiots in the dunes without a spare that she gladly gives to them. But rwg, king racer, the messiah of utv's, no spare. please

You can return to your rwg nutt swinging

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I'm not a hater, but I am critical and enjoy good armchair (keyboard) racing.

I think Speed missed an opportunity at KOH. KOH seems to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of US off-road racing. If these were race cars and not production cars, he could have passed them off to a reputable team who could focus on this race effort without distraction. He would have gained an endorsement and silenced some of the talk about how he is too busy racing.

Until customers start talking about how great the car is, we don't really know what is real. I am curious if people are still buying cars. A good showing without arguably the best off-road driver in the world in the seat would have a more significant impact IMHO.

topdog521

Reaction score
This car has been marketed since day ONE as race ready. Day one. Now we all know he has changed his tune along the way, and that is just typical rwg. But I find it very interesting that the fanboys can explain away anything and everything that happens.

No spare belt, come on people, talk about a complete and total rookie mistake. My wife carries a washed/heat cycled/bagged and ready to go spare belt, always. Plus two slightly used belts for the idiots in the dunes without a spare that she gladly gives to them. But rwg, king racer, the messiah of utv's, no spare. please

You can return to your rwg nutt swinging

Quoted for truth.

Unbelievable that these race cars can't even make it 5 miles without throwing belts.

Not a single Pro R produced by Polaris for consumer or racecar has ever thrown a belt.

How embarrassing it must be for all the Golden ticket holders. You guys are in for a wild ride.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I think Speed missed an opportunity at KOH. KOH seems to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of US off-road racing. If these were race cars and not production cars, he could have passed them off to a reputable team who could focus on this race effort without distraction. He would have gained an endorsement and silenced some of the talk about how he is too busy racing.

Until customers start talking about how great the car is, we don't really know what is real. I am curious if people are still buying cars. A good showing without arguably the best off-road driver in the world in the seat would have a more significant impact IMHO.

Or at least raced to finish...

Everyone knows this race is (similar to the Parker Enduro) a race of attrition. Just to finish is a solid accomplishment. 👍🏼

You would Think an accomplished driver would know this, and drive accordingly?

As others have said...

The whole situation is just odd.

😔

Albacore

Reaction score
I just left KOH and we raced 1450. We passed Robby broken down on the backside of the course. Another competitor brought Robby a belt on course and he finished after us.

I went to pit road and talked to Robby during the race this morning. The race cars are throwing belts when they get to 100mph or more. The race cars do 126. They will get it figured out and really won't effect production cars.

The #18 El Jefe production car was sitting on pit lane and looks great in person. The welds, fit and finish are legit and I can't wait to get mine.
I ain’t here to kiss anybody’s ass even Robbys. I do have a deposit down on a Diablo but I’ll tell you right now from 1992 up until 2008 I never missed a single to 250, 500, 1000 and the Baja 2000 in y2k. When the side-by-side started coming out I was laughing my ass off they could barely make it out of the riverbed at the races that were starting in Ensenada. if I remember they were all Polaris is way back then. If anybody that has a deposit on these ever thought they were going to not have any problems you’d be crazy. Then on the other hand you’ve got the haters or even if they were flawless they would still not like them. I agree with you sir I am looking forward to getting mine I don’t care if it takes another year or more. At my number I am probably still at least seven months out if I’m lucky.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I ain’t here to kiss anybody’s ass even Robbys. I do have a deposit down on a Diablo but I’ll tell you right now from 1992 up until 2008 I never missed a single to 250, 500, 1000 and the Baja 2000 in y2k. When the side-by-side started coming out I was laughing my ass off they could barely make it out of the riverbed at the races that were starting in Ensenada. if I remember they were all Polaris is way back then. If anybody that has a deposit on these ever thought they were going to not have any problems you’d be crazy. Then on the other hand you’ve got the haters or even if they were flawless they would still not like them. I agree with you sir I am looking forward to getting mine I don’t care if it takes another year or more. At my number I am probably still at least seven months out if I’m lucky.

The old saying
"don't let people who have done nothing, tell you how to do anything" comes to mind

Last edited:

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score

I find it interesting the entire broadcast staff this weekend at KOH spoke with respect regarding Robby Gordon and Speed UTV. I also find interesting that KOH would not exist if not for you,your efforts early on and Dave Cole. Yet you never mention (brag) about your participation in all your posts when no doubt every team finishing drives up on tht stage for interview & thanking their families and sponsors was your idea.
I mention this because after listening and watching KOH last few days i realize participating in this thread is a waste of time. All this hate bullshit does not make sense.
What you guys put equipment thru in that desert is amazing any vehicle can finish under it own power.