WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Albacore

Reaction score
You have a car on order and don’t want reality. It’s ok 👍🏻
Do they actually have manufacturers VIN? Takes a lot to have the ability to put a Vin on a vehicle. Anyone actually seen the VIN?
Yes they have been numbers I saw it with my own eyes I even have a picture I could probably dig up but nevertheless I was there Presidents’ Day weekend.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
1679680353502.png

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
The one thing that stood out to me in the video was Robby himself saying he couldn’t afford/handle the massive recall of the transmission issue if it wasn’t caught at KOH. I’d be a little nervous as a deposit holder knowing that.
I just watched that video too. Something I noticed he said. The cases are supposed to be 6 mm thick and they were 1.5mm that is a huge difference. You would think QC would check that? I wonder if they are doing 100% inspection or an AQL inspection. If AQL what are those numbers?

So I am not picking on speed but what does Polaris and can am do?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I saw one going down Hwy 95 last weekend , it was REALLY noisy !

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The one thing that stood out to me in the video was Robby himself saying he couldn’t afford/handle the massive recall of the transmission issue if it wasn’t caught at KOH. I’d be a little nervous as a deposit holder knowing that.

He said he couldn’t handle the blow to the reputation of speed.. he did mention it was expensive as well

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I saw one going down Hwy 95 last weekend , it was REALLY noisy !

The exhaust note, in that vid of him driving at the parking, lot was Terrible. Hopefully they will come up with something better in production vehicles.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The exhaust note, in that vid of him driving at the parking, lot was Terrible. Hopefully they will come up with something better in production vehicles.

The old rzr’s all sounded like bumble bees.. I’m sure empire and everyone else will be coming out with exhaust as soon as they get their hands on a car

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Not sure.. I didn’t get it either?

I would guess the trans manufacturer forced him to do that...

They will get those transmissions back with lots of good parts in it.

If a customer blows it up, and fills the trans full of metal, well, then you'd have a parts and labor warranty bill that the manufacturer will have to suck up a long with a worthless hunk of metal!

Not to mention the tow bill. Blackhawk's are freaking expensive!

😁

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I don’t think any of the UTVs sound good stock and they sound worse with aftermarket exhaust!

It's very subjective...

I think Flowmaster sounds Awesome. I also think MangnaFlow sounds like shit!!!

Eventually someone will make something decent that eliminates the bumblebee noise. Hopefully. 😜

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
I just watched that video too. Something I noticed he said. The cases are supposed to be 6 mm thick and they were 1.5mm that is a huge difference. You would think QC would check that? I wonder if they are doing 100% inspection or an AQL inspection. If AQL what are those numbers?

So I am not picking on speed but what does Polaris and can am do?
Case thickness wasn't a QC issue, that was in the design of the case. Almost every UTV trans case has these same dimensions. Bigger gears, more power, and bigger tires found a new weak link. I am still indifferent on the thin part of the cases causing the failures, but thicker cases will only help strengthen the whole unit from now on.

For what it's worth, Weddle had no input on the new Gen 3 trans as they are calling it. Robby explained to me what they are doing, it will all help as has already been proven with the test unit over the past few weeks.

The Polaris and Can-am comment makes me giggle a bit with the info that I have. (Hint: 5 years of testing and they are still having issues with theirs)

NicPaus

Reaction score
I would guess the trans manufacturer forced him to do that...

They will get those transmissions back with lots of good parts in it.

If a customer blows it up, and fills the trans full of metal, well, then you'd have a parts and labor warranty bill that the manufacturer will have to suck up a long with a worthless hunk of metal!

Not to mention the tow bill. Blackhawk's are freaking expensive!

😁
In the video he said they were going in tge trash. Not trying to salvage them.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Case thickness wasn't a QC issue, that was in the design of the case. Almost every UTV trans case has these same dimensions. Bigger gears, more power, and bigger tires found a new weak link. I am still indifferent on the thin part of the cases causing the failures, but thicker cases will only help strengthen the whole unit from now on.

For what it's worth, Weddle had no input on the new Gen 3 trans as they are calling it. Robby explained to me what they are doing, it will all help as has already been proven with the test unit over the past few weeks.

The Polaris and Can-am comment makes me giggle a bit with the info that I have. (Hint: 5 years of testing and they are still having issues with theirs)
Robby said they were supposed to be 6mm and measured at 1.5mm

I’m taking that these were undersized from design during the casting process. Not that they were designed undersized

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Like you need a rubber band car! 🤣

I wouldn't mind having a SxS for exploring and stuff, but it will Definitely be the Honda. No overpriced rubber band cars for me.

😊
HAHA
I've actually had a few SXS's A couple Rhinos, a RZR, now a Can Am (knock on wood) no belt issues so far, I have some theories on that, another subject.
I think the SPEED suspension design is superior to all others regardless of how well any other car rides. I don't have a deposit on one, but, I could be a potential customer.
The 2 liter engine in the Pro R intrigues me, just as the shaft drive in the Honda does.
I've read what the "experts" say about why the belt works in SXS's but if Honda can figure it out???

Travmon

Reaction score
HAHA
I've actually had a few SXS's A couple Rhinos, a RZR, now a Can Am (knock on wood) no belt issues so far, I have some theories on that, another subject.
I think the SPEED suspension design is superior to all others regardless of how well any other car rides. I don't have a deposit on one, but, I could be a potential customer.
The 2 liter engine in the Pro R intrigues me, just as the shaft drive in the Honda does.
I've read what the "experts" say about why the belt works in SXS's but if Honda can figure it out???
I fell for the Honda a month ago , I always hated the constant rpm noise on all of the belt cars I have been in or drove . Really wanted to shift by choice as well. Not really trying to keep up with anyone at this point in life. Grandkids think its bad ass and thats good enough for me.
I am impressed with it so far from an engineering angle. Had a tricked out joiner years ago “ it was a very fast rattle trap” and this is definitely next level.
1DA4E326-4B69-47E3-A879-3340FCB968AD.jpeg
C45B87F0-8312-4F8E-9D8B-A2E86182B36B.jpeg

4E862917-5375-48CF-BB76-7E452C74E28C.jpeg
DD78D7BA-4E55-4332-83CD-E0ACAF11061D.jpeg

DwatsPdx

Reaction score
I fell for the Honda a month ago , I always hated the constant rpm noise on all of the belt cars I have been in or drove . Really wanted to shift by choice as well. Not really trying to keep up with anyone at this point in life. Grandkids think its bad ass and thats good enough for me.
I am impressed with it so far from an engineering angle. Had a tricked out joiner years ago “ it was a very fast rattle trap” and this is definitely next level. View attachment 1212016 View attachment 1212015
View attachment 1212017 View attachment 1212018

Honda's are great! You will love it. Congrats!

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I am impressed with it so far from an engineering angle. Had a tricked out joiner years ago “ it was a very fast rattle trap” and this is definitely next level. View attachment 1212016 View attachment 1212015

Awesome, welcome to the Talon family #nobeltgang

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
we just did a ride with a Honda 700 miles and it kept up fine with the turbo s and can am and pro r in our group. We would loose him at 75+ but that wasn't a ton of that riding over 700 miles. The Honda had suspension work done and it had a couple of small problems but that is to be excepted over 700 miles of abuse.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
HAHA

Pretty sure they have it figured out. They took home win at KOH last year, and just keep getting better.

I sure wouldn't buy one for the dunes though, the power to weight ratio sucks for the sand!

Slappy picked up a RZR. We drove around in it a bit and he sold it real shortly after.

Wes still has his, but they are slugs in the sand compared to most anything else.

Don't tell Wes I said that though! 😁

Last edited:

outboard_256

Reaction score

I thought the cause of the issue was the heat treatment of the gears? In this video Robby makes it seem like its the 1.5mm thin case is the cause of the issue. I am just trying to figure out what the cause of the transmission failure is.

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I thought the cause of the issue was the heat treatment of the gears? In this video Robby makes it seem like its the 1.5mm thin case is the cause of the issue. I am just trying to figure out what the cause of the transmission failure is.

I believe the initial failure was the case but now they are going through and changing some other things as well

DLC

Reaction score
HAHA
I have 6,000 miles on my car - can am max on 35’s & I have never popped a belt! And I drive it like crazy! Hit 97 mph last week!
roll into the throttle and not stand on it helps

now I just jinxed myself….

belt replacement is an easy & quick fix, as long as the case stays in tact!

DLC

Reaction score
On our ride AZPT a buddy broke an axle and we swapped it out in less than 45 minutes trail side !!

If you turn some wrenches on your car you get to know what you need, it becomes fairly easy to do trail repairs, If any are needed

Skywonders

Banned
Reaction score
He literally flew over a giant Honda factor while flying into Vietnam.

And yes, the cars have VIN's, I have seen them, and there have been pictures of them.

You ad ZERO value here to this forum, have you tried Glamisdunes.com, or Desertwhips on facebook? There's more of your type over there.
Proof

Skywonders

Banned
Reaction score
He literally flew over a giant Honda factor while flying into Vietnam.

And yes, the cars have VIN's, I have seen them, and there have been pictures of them.

You ad ZERO value here to this forum, have you tried Glamisdunes.com, or Desertwhips on facebook? There's more of your type over there.
It’s ok CNN you still have a place in some people’s heart!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Meh on that Honda, let’s see the boat! 😍

Last edited:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
we just did a ride with a Honda 700 miles and it kept up fine with the turbo s and can am and pro r in our group. We would loose him at 75+ but that wasn't a ton of that riding over 700 miles. The Honda had suspension work done and it had a couple of small problems but that is to be excepted over 700 miles of abuse.
On our ride AZPT a buddy broke an axle and we swapped it out in less than 45 minutes trail side !!

If you turn some wrenches on your car you get to know what you need, it becomes fairly easy to do trail repairs, If any are needed
You guys gonna do a full ride report??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We all know Robby, and his way of "marketing". LOL. I am just trying to keep everyone informed of what I see as an objective insider. I have no loyalties to any one brand (edit: I guess I do with Speed since I had a small hand in developing them, but I will gladly do what I can to improve any other brand that comes across my work bench).

The trans issue discovered last week was a surprise to all of us, but was not due to poor design, nor from shifting them. Since Robby said it in his video last night, I guess I can elaborate:

The housings were not the issue of the failure, the gear broke first, which wedged bits of gear teeth through the other gears and had enough force to push the shafts apart, splitting the cases. Robby saying they are adding material to the cases to strengthen them is really just an added benefit to prevent the cases from splitting like that and ruining the whole trans. Gears will eventually break over time and use, when they do finally let go, it is cheaper to not have to replace the entire case as we can just replace what is broken and repair the gearbox.

The gear breakage sucks. Robby called me immediately after the first one broke last week and we discussed. We had hoped it was a fluke failure based on what that transmission was subjected to. This was not a fault that Speed or Weddle could have known about on the variety of transmissions and diffs we have inspected since they came off the assembly line. The issue only became evident once subjected to that level of use. Real world testing will always find the weak links.

The good news is that it is somewhat of an easy fix, other than having to wait a bit longer for revised parts.

I will stand by that anyone who damages this trans because of shifting, is purely on the driver of the vehicle. It is a great feature of the gearbox, but requires knowledge of how to properly operate.

I'll sign off now, I need to get some more Pro-R and Can-Am prep work done before I head out to Hammertown this evening.

@RiverDave

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Start a thread on the boat!

Jezzz Dave. You should maybe log in more often? 😜

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just watched Dust 2 Glory 2.

Their was a short interview with Mr Gordon. He looked a Lot younger. This Speed thing sure has done a number on him!